“Amazing Wedding”

Ye Olde Bell Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Barnby Moor
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We recently got married at here. It was fabulous from start to finish. It was very well organised and was a very stress free day for the both of us. The weather was dry so we were lucky enough to get married in the outside pavillion which was truely fantastic.

The canapes after the wedding were delicious and food for the meal was excellent. We had over 100 guests in the day and all the meals were pipping hot and well presented. I was too full and busy dancing to eat any of the evening buffet, but was told by a number of the guests that the food on there was lovely as well.

We stayed in the Victoria Suite which was wonderful. It has a living area as well as a bedroom which was the perfect place for myself and my bridesmaids to get ready before hand. There was lots of space and it was very well decorated.

The breakfast the next morning was also very good. The choice of cereals, pastries as well as a very good cooked breakfast to order. I know one of the guests doesn't like tomatoes and he cheekily asked for an extra sausage instead and got one! Very accomodating.

Overall we had a fantastic day and will definately be going back to stay again.

Thanks for everything!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank sheffield09
Kate F, General Manager at Ye Olde Bell Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

I'm thrilled you had such an amazing time and thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review, comments such as yours really do make all the hard work so very worthwhile.
I'm delighted we were able to give you a stress free and memorable day.
Please come and visit us again soon it will be a pleasure to welcome you back.
Thanks again
Kate

Reviewed August 29, 2012

The overall hotel and room was very nice however we found that the hotel is not very friendly if you are travelling with a baby.

For the cost of the room we were disappointed with the overall size as to say we were in a superior room we had a double bed with just enough room to walk down the side of the bed and enough room for a small table which you had to squeeze past to get into bed.

We were travelling with a baby and were put on the top floor with no lifts it meant carrying prams etc up numerous flights of stairs.

• Stayed: July 2012

I'm really sorry we allocated you a room on the second floor, as a mum (albeit to a group of 20 somethings now!!) I can vividly remember how much equipment a baby needs even for just one night!!
Thank you for bringing it to my attention and I will do my utmost to ensure it doesn't happen to anyone else.
Should you return in the future, and I sincerely hope you will, please ask for one of our new Courtyard rooms, they are amazingly quiet and you can park right outside.
I'm delighted that on the whole you enjoyed your stay.
Thank you again for the feedback, it really does help me to monitor and strive to improve our service.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

We stayed at The Old Bell for a couple of nights at the beginning of June. There for a wedding, I have to say this is a superb venue. The staff – (Kate, Chris & all of the team) everyone, were very attentive and friendly. Nothing was too much trouble for them, and we are pretty demanding clients! The décor is old English with beautiful dark wood paneling, open log fires, grandfather clocks and ornate individual pieces of furniture. The public areas & the rooms are absolutely lovely. We stayed in the old part of the hotel in a 4 poster suite which is huge and has a gorgeous bathroom. These suites can be noisy if functions are on in the room below – maybe worth mentioning when booking if you want a quiet room! Some stayed in the new separate block; all of the rooms we saw of other members of the wedding party were fabulous too. Both families met up to eat, (about 15 of us), in the restaurant the evening before the wedding. We were placed at a huge oval table, great for us to chat and get to know one another, much better than at separate tables. The food was good quality, well presented and service was excellent. Breakfast was perfectly cooked to our liking and there was plenty of choice. I made an appointment at the resident hair salon ‘Salon You’ for an ‘Up-do’ on the morning of the wedding and she made a great job of it. Mother had a wash & set - we can happily recommend that too.
Throughout the wedding the staff worked very hard and made every effort to make the day a spectacular event for everyone. Thank you so much for your fantastic efforts !
I would thoroughly recommend this as a Venue for any event or a base to explore the surrounding area, or as a stop on route, although, I think you may not want to move on !

Only one area that could possibly improve: The wedding service was outside under the gazebo, the gardens around there had no flowers in May /June, there are very large urns which could have been full of flowers, it’s a small point but I think it would have made the setting prettier.

Room Tip: understandably, rooms above the function rooms can be very noisy, if you want a quiet room remember...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank sandizzzz

Wow! Thank you so much for such a fabulous review. I remember the wedding well and can I say it was an absolute pleasure to be of service to you.
I agree that Ye Olde Bell is a truly superb venue whatever the occasion, maybe I'm a little biased after 30 amazing years here but it's such a pleasure to see the hotel continually evolving with additions like 'Salon You' the stunning new hair and beauty salon in The Courtyard.
I'm thrilled you all had such an enjoyable and memorable day and I promise we'll have some gorgeous plants in those urns for the Spring of 2013!
Thank you again.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

We booked the room for a wedding. Just to set the record straight, the wedding was fantastic and it is a great venue. Even though the master of ceremonies could have worn a jacket as he looked a bit scruffy, bit his shirt untucked around the back, and his hair all flustered.

Onto the room and the start. We called a few days previous for an earlier checkin as our boy was the page boy and that was fine the room was ready.

Getting into the room though for £145 I was left a little under whelmed. There are some nice spacious rooms on the website this (Room 48) was not one of them. Personally don't care about views etc, but for £145 I would expect an Iron, alarm clock etc in the room.

I have seen other comments about scuffs on the walls and this could be said about our room. There was a big black mark near the wardrobe & the all over the skirting boards.

Other than an extra bed for a four year old, not sure what the extra £15 on the standard charge was for. But again £145 for 1 nights stay is poor. I think London rates are cheaper than this.

Over the last two years this is the 4th hotel I have stayed at whilst at the wedding. Other venues were just as nice, yet the room prices ranged from £65 to £95 for the night.

Again if the price was lower then I may have given it a better rating but at £145 it's very pricey and I am sure there are locations in the area that offer better value for money.

I can only compare to where I have stayed before.

Room Tip: Re-mortgage your house first or get saving
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank adyady14
Kate F, General Manager at Ye Olde Bell Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

I really do appreciate your feedback following a recent visit to Ye Olde Bell Hotel, I am always grateful when guests take time to write a review as it helps me enormously in monitoring and striving to improve the levels of guest service we offer.
I am of course thrilled you enjoyed the wedding;it is indeed a fabulous venue for all kinds of celebrations.
I'm surprised, yet of course very sorry that room 48 did not meet your expectations, I would consider it quite spacious for a family of three and value for money considering the rate includes full breakfast for all. If only you had mentioned something at the time I would have done my utmost to enhance your stay.
Irons and ironing boards are readily available on request, I have previously been of the opinion that they create unnecessary clutter in a bedroom but maybe I should reconsider.
Personalised early morning calls can be delivered by one of the cheerful reception team or the telephones in the bedrooms can be programmed by our guests if preferred,but once again I will give consideration to your comments regarding alarm clocks.
I can't think how a scuff mark escaped the eagle eye of my meticulous housekeeping team please be assured it now well and truly eradicated!!
Thank you for bringing these matters to my attention, I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future and in the meantime should you wish to discuss anything further please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel.
KInd regards

Reviewed August 15, 2012

Room acceptable despite having the unenviable option of listening to the kitchen or no air flow (windows). Overall service was subdued. I enjoyed the food, though the head chef was very aggressive. I nearly walked into "his" kitchen looking for a water tap to fill a bottle (having vacated my room earlier), only to be harangued by the head chef. "Here's the toilets, can't you tell the difference between them and my kitchen!" Afterwards I thought I should have said "No", then I have little doubt that with his swagger, it would have ended up as some sort of fight. The customer is always right; not at this establishment!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank angusd807
Kate F, General Manager at Ye Olde Bell Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

Thank you for choosing Ye Olde Bell Hotel as the venue for your family get together and for taking the time to review your experience, all feedback is invaluable and gratefully received.
I'm sorry if you found the service 'subdued'.We are normally such a happy, friendly group of professionals so sincere apologies if this was not the case on this occasion, I am however delighted you enjoyed the food.
I don't really know what to say about your experience in the kitchen. It has of course highlighted that signage to the kitchen must be made clearer as obviously for health and safety reasons it is a restricted area.
Throughout the industry chefs have a reputation for being passionate, zealous and protective of their environment.......our chef is no exception!
I have known him for many years and I am completely confident that he would never intentionally offend anyone.
I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future and should you wish to discuss anything further please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel.
Yours sincerely

Reviewed July 16, 2012

In times of careful spending it was with some trepidation that we visited the Olde Bell, because several earlier revues have used the word 'pricey', and the hotel's website displays no prices.
We wanted a venue that was relaxed, friendly and with attention to the quality of ingredients used; the Olde Bell ticked all the boxes. The hotel management must be encouraged to display some price samples on the website because there is plenty of choice and a range or dishes to suit all budgets. We sampled the bar-meal menu. The panini with hand-cut chunky chips and salad at £7.95 is great value. Starters range from £5 - £6.95, so do desserts. The caramelised lemon tart with raspberry sorbet was excellent and full of flavour. Main meals vary greatly in price, but for those with a small appetitie, a starter can be up-sized to a light meal, (about £10). Real ale is around £3.90, juices about £2.60 and lemonade £1.50
For me, the quality of the food and the service out-weighed the small extra cost and this venue is not the most expensive in the area.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank cobiRetford
Kate F, General Manager at Ye Olde Bell Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2012

I am delighted you enjoyed your recent dining experience at Ye Olde Bell Hotel and Restaurant and thank you for taking the time to write a review.
We do strive to offer a wide range of option whether you choose the elegant and relaxed Restaurant 1650, the vibrant Bistro by the Bar or stunning garden bar and terrace.
We are currently working on plans to update our website and I totally appreciate your point regarding adding prices to the sample dishes. We will definitely take your advice!!
We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

We only came to the 'Evening of the Wedding' party, but wedding guests really gave good reports of the 'Wedding Breakfast'
Nice room (45) although as others have said, overlooks kitchen roof. However interior nicely decorated, great shower - you know, the ones you could stand in for hours, except you get too many wrinkles - well more than you had before. Good TV and comfy SKS bed. Full English Breakfast very good, with very fresh Black Pudding, and decent Bacon, nice coffee. Genuinely friendly staff, who ask about you ,and more importantly, listen to the answer.
We regularly have lunch at 'The Old Bell' but it is many years since we stayed. Food is always very good, yes expensive, but sometimes you pay a lot and get rubbish - here you pay a lot and get quality of service and imaginative food. We'll be back

Room Tip: Ask for nice outward looking room
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank MalsHolidays

Thank you for your lovely comments following a recent stay at Ye Olde Bell Hotel and Restaurant, I always appreciate feedback of every kind.
I love your comments regarding the showers and you're right - they are fabulously powerful.
I'm delighted you have enjoyed several meals of a consistently high standard, we do aim to offer a range of dishes to suit all occasions that represent excellent value for money.
I hope you visit us again very soon.
KInd regards

#2 of 2 in Blyth
The Crown Hotel
The Crown Hotel
#1 of 1 in Bawtry

Been to Ye Olde Bell Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!