Ye Olde Bell Hotel & Restaurant
$44
Travelodge
$106
$96
All reviewsbirthday treatmain restaurantlarge partylovely experiencesunday lunchscallopsfrom start to finishcooked to perfectionafternoon teasandwicheswedding receptionfood was fantastichamcouldn't do enoughfirst classhigh standardwedding venue
Reviewed July 16, 2012

In times of careful spending it was with some trepidation that we visited the Olde Bell, because several earlier revues have used the word 'pricey', and the hotel's website displays no prices.
We wanted a venue that was relaxed, friendly and with attention to the quality of ingredients used; the Olde Bell ticked all the boxes. The hotel management must be encouraged to display some price samples on the website because there is plenty of choice and a range or dishes to suit all budgets. We sampled the bar-meal menu. The panini with hand-cut chunky chips and salad at £7.95 is great value. Starters range from £5 - £6.95, so do desserts. The caramelised lemon tart with raspberry sorbet was excellent and full of flavour. Main meals vary greatly in price, but for those with a small appetitie, a starter can be up-sized to a light meal, (about £10). Real ale is around £3.90, juices about £2.60 and lemonade £1.50
For me, the quality of the food and the service out-weighed the small extra cost and this venue is not the most expensive in the area.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank cobiRetford
Kate F, General Manager at Ye Olde Bell Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2012

I am delighted you enjoyed your recent dining experience at Ye Olde Bell Hotel and Restaurant and thank you for taking the time to write a review.
We do strive to offer a wide range of option whether you choose the elegant and relaxed Restaurant 1650, the vibrant Bistro by the Bar or stunning garden bar and terrace.
We are currently working on plans to update our website and I totally appreciate your point regarding adding prices to the sample dishes. We will definitely take your advice!!
We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

We only came to the 'Evening of the Wedding' party, but wedding guests really gave good reports of the 'Wedding Breakfast'
Nice room (45) although as others have said, overlooks kitchen roof. However interior nicely decorated, great shower - you know, the ones you could stand in for hours, except you get too many wrinkles - well more than you had before. Good TV and comfy SKS bed. Full English Breakfast very good, with very fresh Black Pudding, and decent Bacon, nice coffee. Genuinely friendly staff, who ask about you ,and more importantly, listen to the answer.
We regularly have lunch at 'The Old Bell' but it is many years since we stayed. Food is always very good, yes expensive, but sometimes you pay a lot and get rubbish - here you pay a lot and get quality of service and imaginative food. We'll be back

Room Tip: Ask for nice outward looking room
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank JJYYFSEYT

Thank you for your lovely comments following a recent stay at Ye Olde Bell Hotel and Restaurant, I always appreciate feedback of every kind.
I love your comments regarding the showers and you're right - they are fabulously powerful.
I'm delighted you have enjoyed several meals of a consistently high standard, we do aim to offer a range of dishes to suit all occasions that represent excellent value for money.
I hope you visit us again very soon.
KInd regards

Reviewed July 5, 2012

I went for a family members ruby wedding aniversary and i found the rooms, food and service to be fantastic. I am a wheelchair user and the disabled room was the best i've ever been in as it had a huge bed, raised toilet, wet room, grab rails, easy access, emergency coords and even the light switches was lowered. welldone Ye Olde Bell i have finally found a hotel with an actual disabled room 10/10

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

I don't think you realise quite how much your comments mean to us...thank you so much for the feedback.
We have put a tremendous amount of thought and passion into the restoration of our rooms and the disabled room was a particular challenge so I'm delighted we got it right!!
I'm also thrilled you enjoyed the anniversary celebrations, hope you visit us again soon.

Reviewed June 23, 2012

We had our wedding at this hotel and it was absolutely faultless in every way possible. The staff looked after all of our guests very well throughout the entire weekend.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 3, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed for one night for a wedding. We were given a wedding rate of £130 which included breakfast. When you book you have to pay a £40 non refundable deposit which is something we've not had to do before.
The staff upon checkin were very friendly However when We went to our room we were very disappointed. Having stayed in several hotels in the area these rooms were quite small in size for the price. although it had several windows they all overlooked other rooms and a roof. The room we had was definitely in need of decoration with scuff marks all over the Walls. I was disappointed also to only have a shower and no bath in the room which they don't inform you of when booking. Nevertheless the rooms are ok. Just very expensive compared to others for what you get.
However, the food and staff are lovely. The staff can't do enough for you and the food is delicious. Food and drink prices are on par with other hotels. A large wine is just over £5.00 and a beer was nearly £4.00.
We definately wouldn't stay at this hotel again as I believe there are nicer hotels for the price however these are a taxi ride away so you have to factor the cost and inconvenience of this in. We will however be coming back for a meal in the restaurant.

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank dkkl
Kate F, General Manager at Ye Olde Bell Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2012

Thank you for posting a review following your recent visit to Ye Olde Bell on the occasion of a wedding.
I'm delighted you found the staff friendly and helpful and the food delicious, it really is a perfect venue for a wedding even in rainy June!!
I'm very sorry you were disappointed with the bedroom you reserved and hope you will accept my sincere apologies.
Our rooms are all very individual and many have beautiful views over the stunning gardens or the fields at the front of the hotel. In my opinion they are all very spacious and beautifully appointed but it is obvious we did not meet your expectations on this occasion for which I'm very sorry. I only wish you'd mentioned your disappointment at the time giving me the opportunity to take some action to enhance your stay.
I was surpirsised to learn there were scuff marks in the room, we have a comprehensive and ongoing maintenance programme and I will ensure this is dealt with without delay.
I am of course thrilled you will be returning for a meal in Restaurant 1650, if you would like to contact me at the hotel I would be delighted to offer you a very special rate to stay over when you come for dinner.
I really do appreciate the time you have taken to pass on your feedback, it is greatly appreciated.
I look forward to hearing from you soon.