“Terrible customer service at run-down B&B”

Tankerville Arms Hotel Wooler
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wooler
London, United Kingdom
“Terrible customer service at run-down B&B”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

My sister and I travelled up from London for two nights at the Tankerville Arms, which we'd bought via a group-buying site. The photos of the rooms were nice, but when we got there, we were put in an attic room that was draughty and infested with mosquitoes. We didn't plan to spend much time in the room, so after swatting as many as we could, we went out. That evening, we discovered the TV didn't work so a member of staff came up to take a look. After a while she gave some exccuse about having to change the digi box every fortnight, but didn't offer any kind of solution. What with this, the draughts and the mosquito problem, we asked to move rooms, if there was one available and it wasn't too much trouble. We were given two separate rooms on the floor below with all the other guests, which were much better (though various things in the rooms were broken, such as the main light, lack of hot water in tap etc).

The following morning, we were utterly bewildered when we were repeatedly ignored by the catering staff in the dining room. We kept trying to catch the waitresses' eyes so we could order, thinking they were just busy and hadn't noticed us come in, but after fifteen minutes, it was pretty clear they were more interested in serving the tables of local men. The muesli I planned to have wasn't available, so I said I'd have toast instead (could have had a cooked breakfast, but didn't). I was given two pieces of cold, hard toast that tasked like cardboard and my sister had to wait another fifteen minutes for her breakfast. The waitresses treated us as though we were a hindrance rather than valued customers, which isn't what I'd expect as a paying customer.

After breakfast (which took almost an hour in the end), we had to hurry off to catch a bus, but did ask the woman who sorted out our room change whether our rooms were required for that night and said if so, we'd be happy to move. We said we had a bus to catch, but the woman said she'd finish clearing up and then go and ask. On our way out, we looked in at reception but, as usual, there was nobody there. We assumed they didn't need us to move and that they'd phone if any action was needed.

After a lovely day in Alnwick, we got back about 8pm and, not seeing any staff or having had a phone call, went up to our rooms. I was horrified when I let myself into my room and found that my stuff had been removed and a man's possessions there instead. Thankfully he wasn't in the room, so I locked it back up again and went down to reception. When we finally found a member of staff, we were told our stuff had been moved to another room. When I asked why nobody had thought to phone me, the manager apologised, but that was all. I hated the thought of someone handling all my possessions, but tried to enjoy the rest of the evening rather than let it bother me.

We got to our new room and found only two channels on the TV worked and two out of three of the bathroom lights were broken, but we'd almost come to expect it by now. Breakfast the following morning was much the same as the day before and involved my having to shout my breakfast order to the waitress as she walked away. I was also annoyed that we'd got up at 8am on a Sunday because breakfast was only till 9am only to see a couple stroll in at 9.25am and order without any problem.

When we came to check out, I was tempted to keep quiet (being English, I don't like complaining and hate confrontation), but when asked how my stay was, I said it wasn't great. The staff member went to fetch the manager who we heard saying in a loud voice that we'd been told we'd have to move rooms in advance (even though it was she who apologised the night before when we told her we hadn't been told!!). When she came to "apologise" for our less than comfortable stay, she exuded passive-aggression and clearly wasn't sorry at all. She offered us a bottle of wine (at 10.30am when we were about to travel back to London), but nothing else.

I'm not sure whether it was because we're under-60, southerners or because we bought the offer via a group-buying site (and thus didn't pay the full rates), but we were treated really badly and I would not recommend this B&B to anyone.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank DebsB87

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
edinburgh
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We've been a frequent visitor to the Hotel for almost 25 years. We first discovered it when our children were small and it very quickly became one of their favourites. The staff always looked after them, the meals were great and most of all the hotel was always immaculately clean. Since the children have grown up we have continued to stop at the hotel for a meal or coffee several time each year. Each visit has been as good as the last. We know that we can be assured of a truly genuine welcome, the staff may have changed over the years but the welcome hasn't neither have standards changed - the standard of cleanliness is exceptional as is the food. The chef surpassed all our expectations this month. In addition to the usual stopover for coffee and biscuits,this month, we sampled Sunday lunch - the roast lamb was really tender and as usual accompanied by lots of fresh vegetables (all for under £9 each). Last week we couldn't resist the special of the day - steak and kidney pie. What a pie it was! To say that the portion was generous would be an understatement. It was packed full of the most meltingly mouthwatering meat.
We've only stayed over once - last September 2011. At the time the website photos of the room didn't do it justice as it was more modern than the photos portrayed. We stayed in a room at the front - even though it fronted the main road we had a peaceful and refreshing night's sleep. I can't recommend the hotel highly enough whether for an overnight stay or just stopping off for a meal.

1 Thank trisha11edin
Keighley, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We wanted a hotel for 3 nights in the centre of the area we wanted to visit and this fitted the bill ideally. The hotel was easy to find with an excellent car park and easy walking into Wooler. The staff were warm and friendly and the rooms cosy and spotless. We had booked bed/breakfast, but ended up having evening meal as well, which was excellent. You could have your meal either in the bar or restaurant, which was very informal. I would recommend this hotel for visiting Northumberland and also the borders of Scotland, all within an hours drive.

Room Tip: We had a room on the front which did incur a bit of traffic noise, so for a quiet night perhaps the...
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 14, 2012

We were on holiday in Northumberland again for the second year running and we just had to go back to this place, we had the usual warm welcome and both my wife and I had the soup and sandwich at a very good price of £5.50 I think. I asked for cheese sandwich with onions which was not on the list but it was no broblem,my wife had cheese and ham toasty which I thought was really good value there must have been 1/4 pound of cheese in her sandwich it just burst with the stuff,my sandwich was good with lots of onions just how I like it,each dish came with a nice bit of salad and a big dollop of branston pickle the soup was in a cup and was veg. this was very tasty.We asked for tea for 2 and we were brought a family size tea pot, suger,milk,and a top up of water the tea for 2 cost £5! great value again 4 cups each easy. I know this place could do with a bit of a upgrade but for me this is a working mans place with no airs and graces we both felt really at ease here,and so did our dog,who was made welcome also.

1 Thank poppythedog34
West Lothian
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We stayed here for two night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Nothing was too much, the staff were very helpful and courteous,will definitely be back.
The meals we had were great, we went back the second night after seeing other guests fish and chips, the fish was to die for!!

1 Thank dpsc05580
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We stayed at this hotel last week for a 2 day break, we were very pleased with our room, the food was very nice and hubby enjoyed the beer.We ate in the dinning room and it was very nice.Breakfast was also lovely, one of the previous reviews mentioned water pressure in the bathroom we used both bath and shower and had no complaints. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. We had a really nice time staying in this area and enjoyed our stay in the Tankerville Arms Hotel

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gwen g
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We called for lunch because we had heard that it was very good, albeit sometime ago. I can honestly say it was very disappointing. The bar area was tired looking, it needs a total overhaul. It didn't feel clean. We decided to just have a sandwich and soup, the soup was really nice but the sandwich looked like my son had made it, very slapdash. It wasn't very appetising. Sorry but we wont be back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Louise H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wooler
Marshall Meadows Country House Hotel
Marshall Meadows Country House H...
#2 of 3 in Berwick upon Tweed
Dunstanburgh Castle Hotel
The White Swan Hotel
The White Swan Hotel
#5 of 5 in Alnwick

Been to Tankerville Arms Hotel Wooler? Share your experiences!