“Nice”

Ranked #14 of 18 Wooler B&B and Inns
London
“Nice”
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Apart from arriving at the agreed time and finding nobody there, which was a bit disturbing, we had a very pleasant two-night stay at Rockliffe House. (The internet booking company had apparently failed to altogether inform Rachel of our booking; she was mortified.)

The B&B is good value for money. Our room was large, with a nice attached shower-room (excellent shower) and loo. Comfy bed. Our only criticism is there's no dressing table in the room but it didn't detract from the experience.

We did a lot of walking in the area (Wooler is a good centre for this) - the breakfasts and packed lunches were very good; Rachel does a good job here.

All in all we would come back to this B&B; it's not top of the range but very homely and brilliantly and quietly located, just off the High Street.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I stayed here for about five days in June this year - the main reason being the exceptional price. I can honestly say I wasn't disappointed.
My first time in Northumberland, I had driven up from London and didn't get there until after the latest check-in time but was relieved to find a welcoming note and info on the door - saved me having to disturb anyone to get in. the

The room and ensuite facilities were very good and clean - have no complaints whatsoever. The breakfasts were exceptional - they cook them fresh when you get to the table. It means you have to wait slightly longer but is certainly worth it when you start eating and can tell the difference straight away.

Rachael and the other staff there were very friendly and welcoming - which always make a big difference to any stay.
I parked on the road the whole time I was there but never had a problem getting a space virtually opposite the B&B. The only slight negative was that in the particular room I was in, the free wireless connection was a bit flaky. But that really is a minor quibble and if I was in that part of the country would have no hesitation in staying at Rockliffe again.
Jay

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
YORK
Reviewed October 18, 2010

We got to the b&b at about midday to find a not on the door to welcome us. The rooms were pretty average but clean although they looked as though they had had a flood as the ceiling had water marks. The decor was ok but you could tell that the rooms had not been done by the owners as the finishing was quite shabby and bodged in a few places. Also the rooms were cold when we got there and as there was no one to greet us we could not ask for the heating to be put on.
Wooler itself is not exactly what we expected , there were only a few shops and only 2 resturants that we could find 1 an Italian which was fully booked even a 7pm and an Indian which we ended up at which was very nice. We then visited a pub across the road which was really nice but the local youths outside spoilt it with them letting off fireworks outside. The police soon turned up and the group were moved on.
After a few drinks we went back to the b&b to still find it quite chilly so straight to bed for us. Then the fun started as people were running in and out of the b&b for about 3 hours making lots of noise and these were not paying guest but the family that owned the b&b. It sounded like the kids that had come home from the pub with there friends and the noise did not stop till 3am. It was even worse for my brother in law whose room was right by the door and said it was driving him mad.
In the morning we went to breakfast at 9am and were left waiting for about 10 minutes until we were coldly greeted by the owner.The breakfast was very nice with toast and a full english fry up with plenty of coffee.
All in all not a good stay we were just glad that the weekend away was a present .

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Hillshills, Manager at Rockliffe House, responded to this review, November 1, 2011
I have only just worked out how to respond to reviews on here. I am very confused by this review as I did not have any B&B rooms available for 1 night in October as I had workmen in which occupied the rooms for around 4 months, a lot of the accommodation providers did as National Grid were renewing the powerlines.

All of my other reviews are completely different to this one on other websites so anyone looking at this review please look at how out of character it is to any other. For true reviews please go to our website booking page as these reviews are from people who have actually stayed at my B&B as they have booked in online, everyone that books online has the chance to review via this website so there are no false reviews and the people are guaranteed to have stayed.

Also we have just had the hotel inspector in for the 4th time, they book in under cover and do not tell you who they are until after Breakfast when they announce they have been inspecting you, Rockliffe House Bed & Breakfast has for the 4th consecutive year been awarded 4 star alongside a silver award again for 2011.
Cumbria
Reviewed June 29, 2010

We stayed here with my parents for one night recently in two rooms: number 1 a double and number 3 a twin. Both rooms were a very good size and decorated well. The ensuite facilities were clean and very good. Rachel the owner couldn't meet us on our arrival so she left a note on the door and told us to let ourselves in. It was very kind of her to let us settle in. We had a meal at the Milan restaurant which we can hugely recommend. Portions were large and prices were very reasonable. The bed was comfortable and although it was near the main street it was very quiet. Breakfast was excellent - a wide choice of options. We would definately recommend this to anyone. We were walking St Cuthbert's Way and this was on the route. Wooler is a great location for single day walks so this would make a great base to explore the lovely area.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Nottingham
Reviewed April 26, 2010

Having never being to Northumberland, I didn't know what to expect. I can honestly say I was totally blown away by my entire stay.

Rockliffe House is a fantastic bed and breakfast - certainly one of the best I have been to in many years. Excellent value for money, big clean rooms with powerful hot showers, and an amazing breakfast made with fresh high quality local produce - didn't need lunch! The staff were lovely and friendly and nothing was too much trouble - answering questions about the local area and giving my friend a present on his birthday. Situated right near the centre of Wooler, everything was close by in the evenings but the location was very quiet to ensure a good nights sleep in the comfy beds.

Wooler itself is a great place to stay - it has the amenities of several pubs, a bank and also a small Co-op supermarket. But it has retained a sense of community - still boasting a bakery, deli, butchers and an awesome sweet shop. Plus there is a great restaurant called Milan - good food at reasonable prices.

The location of Wooler within Northumberland is ideal for a good walking break - the hills and the coast are closeby and offer endless options for a variety of interesting routes. I can't wait to go back and will definitely use Rockliffe House as my base for any future visit to the area.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Yorkshire
Reviewed November 4, 2008

We stayed at Rockliffe House in August and arrived soaked to the skin while walking the St Cuthberts Way. We got a fabulous warm welcome off Rachel the owner who was very helpful, dried all of our cloths & boots ready for the next day. The room was very spacious & had everything we could possibly need with a bedroom, living area & en-suite which had a great shower with never ending hot water. At Breakfast there was a wide variety from yoghurt to fruit cereals & of course the full cooked breakfast with local produce, which was outstanding (and large) kept us going for the whole day! The only downside was we only stayed one night. We will certainly be back next year but for longer, as Wooler will be a wonderful base for a walking holiday for us.

• Liked — warm rooms after a cold day walking
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2008

We stayed here on the bank holiday weekend Friday. The B&B is in a great location just off the high street, and is in a lovely Victorian detached house. The house has obviously been recently renovated, as the décor is very modern and everything is very new and spotless. We stayed in the suite room (£68 pn) which was great, with a small separate tv / lounge area. The bathroom was very good although the shower wasn’t massively powerful. The bed was very comfortable and all in all this place is extremely good for the price.
The owners were very friendly and the breakfast in the morning was superb, a giant (local produce) full English with the best scrambled eggs I have ever had.
The village is very pretty and is set in amongst the beautiful national park. It has approx 6 pubs and a good selection of antiquey shops, cafes, gift shops and amenities, but is not what I would call touristy. I would highly recommend the Anchor for good pub food and drinks. The Milan Restaurant was highly recommended by the B&B owners, but we fancied something a bit more casual after our long day, so we stuck with the pub.
The only tiny negative things I can think of…. some of the fittings seemed a little on the inexpensive side and if not replaced frequently they may not last the test of time. Although the owners seemed very house proud, and I can’t imagine they would let this happen. Also It doesn’t seem to have a residents garden, so you couldn’t sit outside if it was sunny, but there are lots of cafes etc. in the village that you can.
We only stayed in the village as a stop over on our way to Scotland, but we would definitely come back for longer. This B&B and village would be a great base for walking holidays and exploring the nearby coast and countryside.
ps. they have their own website with photos on

• Liked — good breakfast
  • Disliked — nothing really bit may be the weakish shower
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple