“Nice hotel, great location”
Review of The Olde Ship Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Seahouses
The Olde Ship Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Seahouses
Reviewed August 9, 2010

Stayed for just one night in the separate cottage (lower deck). We were greeted by very friendly person on reception and shown to our room. The room was lovely, cofortable and large with everything you could need. Great views over the harbour and Farne Islands.

We ate in the restaurant and the food was good with nice size portions and the breakfast was very good. The staff were very pleasant.

My only complaint was that the bedsight light had to be swithched off from a separate wall switch.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 19, 2010

I booked the suite known as Harbour View B in June, because we wanted to visit the Farne Islands on the all-day trip and just needed a one-night stop.
(I had tried to book with the Bamburgh Castle Inn (because it had a higher Tripadvisor rating) but they never answered the phone so did us a favour) because I then booked at the Olde Ship. We had a suite outwith the main hotel but booked there for dinner and were not disappointed. Previous reviewers have said that it is 'old-fashioned'. Yes, if old fashioned means high standards of customer service. Yes, if it means that they don't pollute the breakfast with the ubiquitous baked bean. Breakfast was good - lots of choice, and the poached eggs were great. There was even some honey for my toast.
We will certainly visit again - as long as the brats are kept out.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 5, 2010

I made a reservation over the telephone, having read the website. I enquired about a travel cot for our 21 month old daughter. I was told they were unable to supply a cot, but there was no problem if I brought my own. From my conversation, "The Bungalow" sounded ideal for our party of five (2 couples, including ourselves with our baby daughter) as it comprises 2 bedrooms, kitchen, bathroom and living room.

Our friends arrived first and checked-in. Despite having a kitchen there is neither fridge, nor microwave, no crockery or cutlery. Just the bear minimum for making basic tea/coffee. Later when my husband was settling our daughter to sleep I went along to reception, as requested, to complete some paperwork.

During this process I mentioned our daughter and was informed that they do not take children! I was also told that this had happened before, and we would be allowed to stay. If only this had been the end of the matter!

A manager was brougt out who then told me off for my mistake !! The person with whom I originally made the booking was brought out and made to say in front of me that we had never spoken about travel cots. Having said her piece she was then sent away and my dressing down continued.

I was accused of calling her liar, I was told that other families had been turned away and our being able to stay was not fair on them. I was told the owners had made a decision years ago not to accept children under 10 to ensure the other guests had undisturbed sleep (OK ..... but why not make this clear on web site and all communication?)

The Bungalow is detached from the rest of the hotel and sits in the beer garden over-looking the harbour, I don't think we could have awakened anyone in the hotel even if we had all tried. However, this is not the point.

Anyone with any clue about customer service would have swept the matter away as quickly as possible as a simple misunderstanding. During the tirade that I suffered, there was never any doubt about being allowed to stay (albeit I wished we could have walked away from the booking). I couldn't quite believe what was happening to me, I had only made the booking a few days before and I remembered clearly checking out the sleeping arrangements, as any Mum would.

I was pretty upset, but couldn't help but delight in the irony , when the receptionist then offered me a high-chair for our breakfast table.

Thankfully we were only staying 2 nights and all the other staff were lovely. A wee Famous Grouse and the sea air helped too.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank HeleBeePerth
Reviewed June 1, 2010

Since 2003 my family and i have travelled to the wonderful place of northumberland. every year it has been a tradition to go to Seahouses in the middle of the week;let the kids go to the arcade and us adults go to the 'Olde Ship Inn' for a drink. we discovered that the pub was very: atmospheric, humble and was owned by an inviting landlord. although i personally have never stayed there i would certianly reccomend it by the views of friends and colleagues who have stayed there.

If you are in the area i suggest a few other places to have a drink or go out.
Suggestions: Bambrugh Beach, The Castle Inn (Bambrugh), Dunstanbrugh Castle, The Jolly Fisherman (Craster) Holy Island and the Celtic shop (in the holy island village, they sell great fudge!)

Have a nice Holiday

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed March 21, 2010

I was married from the hotel in March 2008, as did not want to stay at Gretna.They put my wedding bouquet in the cellar to keep fresh, and had my wedding dress hung in steam to get the creases out. When we got back later that day, they filled our room(12) with flowers and left us a quality bottle of champagne on ice. They really made our day, as our family did not know we were getting married. The staff were great, and stay there all the time now, Kim who works behind the bar is very funny, but very good with the the guests.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank spunkeymonkey
Reviewed September 20, 2009

We stayed at The Ship in Seahouses and thoroughly enjoyed it. Seahouses is a lovely part of the world and the location of the hotel was perfect.
The bar is fantastic, but be warned - it does get busy. The best feature is probably the beer garden overlooking the harbour but obviously, unless you're of a very hardy disposition, this is weather dependant.
As part of a group of six, we all ate in the restaurant. I agree that the decor is prehaps a little dated, but it fitted in with the rest of the hotel quite well. We all agreed that the food was good, a bit old fashioned with the veggies coming seperately, but the service was fantastic and wasn't badly priced.
The rooms, although not massive were plenty big enough, and had a bath which quite a few places don't - there was no seperate shower though, which may be a problem for some people. I also thought that the toiletries on offer could have been better for the price payed (around £100 per double per night), as they were just small sachets and not much good for anything. However, the room was clean and traditionally decorated, which I found quite appealing.
There was a good breakfast menu, and breakfast was certainly substantial! Again, service was fantastic.
We took a boat trip to the farne islands which cost £12 per person - it was good, and we saw lots of seals but prehaps felt we had been slightly missold as the brochure made no mention of the fact that there are hardly any birds were there for a large part of the year - although I suppose serious ornithologists would already know this. Also, we landed on an island and had to pay £4.80 per person to go anywhere on the island over then the landing area. We were unimpressed with this as it had not been made clear to use previously, and within ten minutes we had seen all that there was to see and spent the rest of the hour on the beach.
Overall, we had a great time and loved the ship inn, however I do think it is overpriced.
I must also add that the guest lounge has a pool table, and we sat up their on the evenings. Although the hotel was full, we were the only ones in their, and i think many of the geusts were unaware of its exsistence.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank LauraJo34
Reviewed September 18, 2009

We had a pleasant stay at The Olde Ship. The food was OK and the staff were superb, being very helpful and courteous. The hotel was beatifully maintained and our room was serviced daily. We were surprised that our towels could have been changed on a daily basis. On a two or three day visit to any hotel we would normally retain them as requested by most of the hotels that we have stayed at. We thought that it was overpriced at £116 per room per night which included breakfast. The room that we occupied was very small and quite cramped. We have had much better for less. I give a cautious recommendation to The Olde Ship if you are given a decent sized room. Parking out of the back of the hotel was not easy and once some vehicles were parked they would be blocked from exiting.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 52Thornfield
Also consider these accommodations in or near Seahouses
Dunstanburgh Castle Hotel
Queens Head Hotel
Queens Head Hotel
#2 of 3 in Berwick upon Tweed
Marshall Meadows Country House Hotel
Marshall Meadows Country House H...
#1 of 3 in Berwick upon Tweed

Been to The Olde Ship Inn? Share your experiences!