“Warm welcome at the lodge” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Lodge Seahouses

The Lodge Seahouses
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Seahouses
The Lodge Seahouses
mirfield
“Warm welcome at the lodge”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

We arrived late ,making enquires re one nights stay. We were warmly welcomed by Gary and his wife.Our accommodation was at the rear of The Lodge,very quiet and peaceful with table and chairs outside. The room was bright and well equipped,we were asked if there was anything else that we needed for the night .We went into the bar where their daughter was working,it was cosy with a friendly atmosphere, she was extremely pleasant and helpful. We had an enjoyable bar meal ,very realistic family prices,excellent value.
We had a full English breakfast ,very generous , well cooked and presented
Very highly recommended,ideal location for touring the area

Room Tip: All rooms at the rear very quiet
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Christine P

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

Stayed at the lodge for a couple of nights with my wife and teenage son and our small dog. We had a lovely stay with good bar meals at the Lodge and great breakfasts. Gary and his wife and daughter were delightful and at great pains to ensure that we were more than happy with everything. The Lodge is not a Hotel and the accommodation is basic, but immaculately clean and comfortable. The owners explain clearly when the bar is open and when meals are available, are as flexible as it is reasonable to expect about this, and are always available via phone if you need them. I wish this business all the success it deserves and I wish there were more places as welcoming as The Lodge to stay. Both my wife and son agreed we would like to stay there again.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Ponteland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the lodge this weekend with our three teenage sons. We were welcomed by Savanna who is a delight. She showed us our rooms which were very clean and well equipped for our needs. The bedding was fresh and clean and the loo and shower were immaculate. We also ate there in the evening and was served good quality pub food with no complaints from us. The family have recently taken over this pub and already have clearly made a big impression on the locals. We met some of them in the bar and they have welcomed Gary and his family into thier community. I would recommend this pub to anyone and wish Gary and his lovely family the best of luck,

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Glasgow
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

I'm always very conscious of the responsibility one has when posting a review on Tripadvisor because I'm aware that a business can lose money, as a direct result of any negative comments posted on here. That being said, I was so disappointed with The Lodge in Seahouses this weekend, that I feel I need to warn others of what they might be walking into.

First of all, it needs to be said, that Seahouses is a fantastic seaside village. I've been visiting the area for weekends away, and holidays all of my life. The beach that runs from neighbouring Bamburgh to Seahouses is second to no other beach I've visited in the UK.

The Lodge, is a small establishment, tucked in at the back of the village. I have stayed in one of the small chalet style rooms a number of times before. I always enjoyed my stay because the rooms offered me everything I needed, a warm, clean bed, an acceptance of my pet dog, hot water, and heating, and a decent cooked breakfast in the morning. I always prefer drinking in The Black Swan which sits closer to the centre of the village (They sell McEwans Best Scotch!!) so I don't really know what the bar is like here. Due to my regular use of The Lodge in the past, I thought nothing of booking it for this weekend, even although I was informed that the place was being ran by new owners.

On Saturday afternoon we arrived, and the building was closed. There was a sign on the door with a number to call for the accommodation side of things, so we did. The gentleman (the owner I presume) advised us that the bar didn't open til early evening, but that our room key was in the door, and we were in room number one. The rooms are around the back of the building in a row, sort of like an American motel style setup. We promptly got our bags in and got the dog settled, and headed back out with him to enjoy the beach.

On our return we entered the bar looking for the owner once again to pay our bill for the Sunday evening (as we'd only paid for the Saturday so far by cheque). The barmaid told us that the manager had just left, and that we could pay in the morning if we liked, and it was nothing to worry about. So, being exhausted from walking the dog on the beach we headed back to the room to have a nap. We awoke at around half past seven or eight to the dog barking, but didn't really know what he was barking at, and thought it was just other guests walking past the room.

When we woke up to take Crookston (our dog) out for his last walk of the evening we checked what time breakfast was at, by looking at the menu on our room wall. The menu, clearly states at the top "Breakfast served between 8am and 9pm" (we assumed the "9pm" was a typo and that it really meant "9am"). So we took Crookston out, and returned to bed as we were pretty tired.
The beds were clean and comfortable and we all had a relatively good sleep.

We would have got up and about and left before 8am had we not wanted to have a cooked breakfast but we figured that since we were going to have a busy day, it would be a good idea to take advantage of this, so we had our showers (all fine except that we're rather large and getting into the shower unit was a tight squeeze, but this is our problem and no fault of the establishment), fed the dog, and then headed out to have breakfast. Again the front door was locked. Perhaps we're too prompt we thought, so off we went back to the room. We waited half an hour and still no one showed up. This really irritated me, because the sign clearly said 8am, and no one had advised us otherwise, also we'd stayed later at the hotel than we wanted to purely to have breakfast. At half past we gave up and headed off with the dog, but the more I thought about it the angrier I got, so I called the owner to ask what the score was. He informed me that he had knocked on our door to ask us when we wanted breakfast the night before, but only the dog was in the room, and that he'd waited til around midnight for us to return. Now if this is what the dog was barking at, it suggests that he only knocked once, and I genuinely didn't hear him. I still believe however that either someone should have been at the hotel to greet us when we arrived to relay this information to us, and to tell us that the sign advertising breakfast times was incorrect, or he should have called us to let us know that breakfast was served a ta different time, or he should have knocked on our door more than once (although I reckon this is ridiculous, how hard is it to have a sign up stating that breakfast is served at a different time on a Sunday?). He must have understood from my tone just how unhappy I was about this because he called back around five minutes later and offered a reduction of £10 from our bill by means of recompense. This in my opinion was a great gesture, and put to rest my ill feelings for the time being.

We had another great day in Seahouses, and headed back to the room rather late this time, we had arranged to have breakfast at eight o'clock the next morning so there was no stress there. We got ready for bed, but the room was cold, and the heating was off, and there was no mechanism to put it on in our room. We decided to have a wash rather than a shower before bed, but the hot water outlet was running cold. This is unnacceptable for £65 a night. This is basic "nuts and bolts" stuff we're talking about here. Not only this, the manager had been in the room to "turn down the bed", he'd opened our window (making the room pretty darn cold), and he didn't empty the bins, or replace soiled towels with fresh ones (he put the wet towels on the radiatior that wasn't ever on!). I really do wonder why he felt the need to come into the room to do basically nothing.

Unhappy, we went to bed, and again, had a comfortable sleep and got up to our last morning in Seahouses. We entered the (open this time!) breakfast area and were greeted by a lovely woman named Liz. She offered us tea or coffee, and sat us at our table. We sat down to two glasses of diluted orange juice (which baffles me by the way, who serves diluted orange juice for breakfast in a bed & breakfast?), a sticky table, with jam smears on it from either whoever had been at the table before us that morning, or the night before. The butter in the butter dish had crumbs of the last person to use its toast all through it. I was already horrified....and then the breakfast arrived.

Before I go any further, please don't take me to be some pompous snob. I come from a working class background, I don't ask much from somewhere charging £65 a night because I know thats the lower end of the price scale for holiday accommodation, but I expect to have good value for money, and I expect to made to feel valued as a customer.

The breakfast was dire. The bacon had either been cooked in a deep fat fryer, cooked yesterday and re-heated, or cooked a good hour before we arrived and left in an oven, it was rock hard, and drenched in grease. The sausages looked like low quality frozen sausages, and mine were cold in the middle. The beans had a skin on them, again suggesting they were either reheats, or left on the plate in an oven. The fried egg looked decent, and fresh, and so did the tinned tomatoes (how can you go wrong with tinned tomatoes?) and fried mushrooms, but the main event of the breakfast plate (Bacon and Sausage) were the worst prepared duo I have ever witnessed. I was so disappointed, because I'd been looking forward to a cooked hotel breakfast since we arranged this weekend away.

This place has gone some length to save a few quid on the breakfast, not only to the detriment of the quality of the food, but to the detriment of the potential to make any more money from me, because I will never be back here. When my fiance went in to take the room key back before we left, no one thought to ask her why we didn't touch the breakfast. Either they don't pay enough attention to their guests to notice, or they just don't care.

Room Tip: Choose somewhere else, until this guy really bucks up his ideas and realises that things need to imp...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jdunlo25
savanna r, General Manager at The Lodge Seahouses, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Hello there . Just a quick message from savanna the girl who greeted and served you for breakfast . I have addressed your concerns and therefore responding to you. Firstly the orange juice a served you for your breakfast was not cordial it's a brand I get from costco which everyone else seems to enjoy . The same day you ate at the lodge for
Breakfast I also made breakfast for others who claim that the breakfast I made for them was one of the best they had tried . Very surprised that the butter was coverd I'm
Crumbs as I had cut it all that morning .and no the sasauges I cooked you certainly were not frozen .now on to your room . The rooms are basic but clean and tidy and have all the things you need fr tv to shower to free wi fi i am however a dog lover I have three of my own but was completely shocked at the state you left our room at the outside of our chalets we have Grass for your dog
To go to the toliet on so Why on earth was our carpets coverd in the dogs accident ? Wet stains of which av had to have cleaned with an industrial cleaner .the room was stinking of dogs accident hat is what I opened the window not Gary .i thought you may have been embarrassed about it so I never mentioned a thing to you and after asking you if everything was ok you said yes so I am pleased you have wrote on here so I could respond to u . We are a friendly Family run business we are clean and very hospitable . I my self cleaned your room and was disgusted
In the dog fouling obviously you had no respect after consulting Gary I felt you should be contacted and asked as to why you left our room so vile but Gary pleaded with me not to say anything saying it wasnt the poor dogs fault and got industrial cleaners in with a carpet machine . Also the towels were not touched and your bedding how you left it has been thrown out also due to the state it was in . Glad we have now cleared things up thank you

Travelers are raving about these Seahouses hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

The new owners are making a real effort to get the lodge back to as it was ( before last owner ran it into the ground )
Nothing is any trouble and a good hearty breakfast was on the table at 06.30
Nice clean room and a place to sit outside in the sun
Give the new owners a chance
You won't be disappointed

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank diverkevin
Carlisle
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

My husband and I came across The Lodge when we went over to Seahouses on a whim. It was cheap enough and the owners and daughter were lovely and friendly. They are trying to improve the reputation of the Lodge, having taken over 6 months ago. The room was clean, but at night, in the dark, there was a pervading smell of damp and no evidence of the heating working (I suppose it was July!). The hospitality tray had a couple of teabags, some sugar but no coffee or milk! The shower worked fine and the ensuite was clean, with fresh towels and soap provided. It was strange at breakfast not to be offered cereal or fruit - just a cooked breakfast and toast. The price of £60.00 was good, but to get a good reputation there needs to be attention to detail and don't scrimp on the breakfast.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

while on a visit to seahouses we called into the lodge for a evening meal,good choice on the menu. pity there where no real ales on even though it was equipt to do do so. The staff friendly and welcoming its a shame its out the way,i do hope you make this a success.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Seahouses
Purdy Lodge
#8 of 25 in Seahouses
Links Hotel
Links Hotel
#10 of 25 in Seahouses

Been to The Lodge Seahouses? Share your experiences!