“fantastic visit”

Otterburn Castle Country House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Otterburn
Reviewed July 17, 2014

We have just had a lovely weekend in Otterburn castle. On arrival you are greeted with a great view of the castle and a warm welcome by the staff. We stayed in room 6 which was clean, beautifully decorated and very comfortable with amazing antique furniture, very jealous of the gorgeous wardrobe. It also had lovely view of garden. The staff were very helpful, advising on places to visit, places to eat and walks nearby. Day rooms are beautifully decorated and furnished, take the time to see the glass covered well and the unusual chair in reception, staff very helpful in telling us about these. Breakfast was delicious, we opted for full English but they had many other choices available, service was quick but you never felt hurried to leave. Hopefully we will visit again soon

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank pamsteve091

Reviewed July 14, 2014

Booked venue for my sons wedding in July. newly renovated, the hotel and all it's facilities are fantastic. We booked the whole venue including all guest rooms which were are beautifully appointed. Staff were polite, very helpful and nothing was too much trouble. Food was amazing, to five star standard. would definitely recommend this place to stay and will be black in the future.

Room Tip: All fantastic however suites were amazing
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Lorna M
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Firstly, the rating would be 5* if it wasn't for a couple of hiccups.

I booked the venue for our wedding in February (we cot married 22nd December) and met with the 'wedding coordinator' Stefan Chobanov on our first visit. Stefan's communication over the 10 months prior to the wedding was terrible. It often took him a long time to reply to emails and it always felt like I was inconveniencing him. I am a very organised person and did a lot of the wedding planning (unusual for a groom) which was lucky because, if it had been left to Stefan, it would have been a TERRIBLE day.I would recommend keeping a copy of every email you send saved as Stefan promised me extras at no extra cost and then denied this, billing me extra. Luckily I had copies of emails to prove him wrong! On the wedding day he was rude to myself and guests, bursting into my room at one point without knocking telling me to hurry up. He was also supposed to be toast master and moaned about this on the day, starting the toast "well I suppose it's up to me to do this then". A horrible little man with no social skills and terrible customer service. Oh, and he failed to tell me that they had no red carpet a week before the wedding, offered no refund or plan b to hire another! He also refused to put the heating on in the marquee the night prior to the wedding when we were setting up and wasn't going to even put the lights on. THIS WAS IN DECEMBER! He spoke terribly to his staff and 'told them off' for not helping us set up when WE had said we wanted to do it ourselves! On the evening, we had a band who had traveled up that day from the isle of white. we allowed them in the marquee early to bring their gear in and Stefan rudely threw them out and locked the door. The venue would be a much better place without him.

Onto the positive. Beautiful castle which provided a fantastic backdrop to the day. The rest of the staff were tremendous, headed by Angela who did more for us over the weekend than Stefan had done in 10 months. Such a small team did such a massive job, hats off to them.

We had the castle fully booked out for the full weekend and the small venue was perfect for us, felt like our own private castle! The food was FANTASTIC, brilliant quality and quantity with a huge choice!

The accommodation was spot on although the heating was hit or miss in some rooms and some rooms didn't have televisions. Very tastefully decorated, clean and spacious. There was a leaky ceiling in the corridor near our room and the marquee with a scabby bucket catching the water but accidents happen!

We loved our big day and wouldn't have had it anywhere else, Otterburn Castle was perfect for us, just a shame about the idiot of a manager/ 'wedding coordinator'!!!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
10  Thank Graham D
Reviewed July 10, 2014

We loved staying at Otterburn castle. Friendly staff, nice rooms and great food.We had a very nice dinner at the castle all included in the price of the stay. The surroundings of the castle are also nice.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank braendgaard
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Booked this as a stop over on the way from Yorkshire to Edinburgh. It's very peaceful as in a small village miles from anywhere... The grounds are gorgeous and there are nice little walks straight from the hotel... Our room was clean and comfortable. would have been nice to have been able to open the windows to get some air in, but maybe they are intentionally sealed to keep the heat in?The staff were cheerful and seemed genuinely happy to be at work which created a relaxed and positive atmosphere.... Kippers for breakfast were great. Thanks,

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Tortoise77
Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

Will never go back again! First thing we booked this in march we said we wanted the 2 rooms were the dogs are aloud we got here on the 28th of June and got told that the other room had been taking so I was not happy about that. As it says it's dog friendly so we thought great the dogs were aloud in the lounge that was fine so me my mam n my niece went along to the lounge to have somthink to eat as they were going to bring our food to us in the lounge I went back to the room to go and get somthink from the car for my 8 month old chihuahua as I have 2 chihuahua and they are part of my family one thing I would never do is leave them in a strange room r the car anyways my niece came along to the room and told us that a man complained about my dog barking the old miserable man it not think oh he's a puppy so that put me in a bad mood no one complains about my dogs witch are family! So I had to take them back along to the room witch my 2 yr old chihuahua was not happy with as they have never been put out of anythink they go every wher with us so my dad had to stay in the room with them so he did not get no food! When me and my 9 yr old niece went back to the lounge there was a children's menu and a adults menu me and my mam new what we were getting and my niece looked at the children's menu and she wanted paster the young waiter came and tuck the order my mam ordered the lam I ordered the chicken and my niece wanted the paster but 10 mins later the waiter came back and said chef says ther is no children's menu so why did we get giving one then so my mam said to the waiter well she won't eat anythink of ther she asked if there was anythink elss he went and asked the so called chef and the waiter came back and said the so called chef can make her chicken and chips are sausage and chips but my niece did not want that so we said it did not matter and did not matter about the other food then 10 mins later the waiter came back and said so called chef can make your draughty some paster so we said ok and we waited about 50 be for we got tuck in to the so called restraint ha you walked in like you were late for class it was quiet no one was talking then about another 10 mins our food came my Mams lam was not cooked and what was under the lam was burnt my chicken had been smacked and rolled up like a sausage and had a few veg on it is way over priced for what you got my niece paster was ok would not say it was amazing so the food overall is crap my mam did not eat her so when the waiter cam she told him he tuck it away and tuck the rest of the stuff away when he came back with the desert menu all he said about the lam oh I'm sorry about that. I'm sorry but if I said that to a customs who was not happy I would asked if they would like something elss as I work with the public and when a custom complains to me about our food I take it back to the chef and tell him what is wrong with it and the chef tell me to go and ask if they would like the same thing are somthink different for free and I'm very apologetic so the only ok thing was the desert, so me and my niece go to our room witch was room 6 ya could here number 5s telly ya could here them banging about then the bed well there was marks on the sheets they did not smell clean I did not go to sleep then in the morning for breakfast once again poor service needs to be more than just one waiter as me and my dad were waiting 20 mins to order breakfast when it came the bacon was salty the mushroom was horrible I was glad to get out of ther and be back home I will never ever recommend this place to any one if I could I would give it no stars as it was that bad

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank Lian C
Reviewed June 26, 2014

I do not write a lot of reviews myself, but I must say this place is amazing. The staff members are professional, polite and super accommodating. The bar is fun, the meals are excellent....as a professional reviewer, I personally endorse this facility. It gets a five star from me, the food is gorgeous, and we looked forward to every meal. We made sure to dine in every night. The grounds are gorgeous, and I cannot rave enough. The room was clean, the bed was fluffy and the bathrooms are great, too. The decor is lovely, and the hotel is breathtaking. Stay here if you can!! I will be back next summer for sure.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank hopeb739
Also consider these accommodations in or near Otterburn
Langley Castle Hotel
Battlesteads Hotel
Meadhon House
Meadhon House
#1 of 3 in Jedburgh

Been to Otterburn Castle Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!