“Fantastic wedding venue and perfect romantic getaway!”

Otterburn Castle Country House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Otterburn
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I got married at Otterburn Tower earlier this month and cannot recommend it highly enough.

When we booked the venue for our wedding it was under different management but Angus, Carey and their team did a fantastic job of ensuring a smooth transition between staff and we received a really personal, enthusiastic and helpful service from everyone at the Tower.

Carey, the wedding coordinator at the Tower, did a fantastic job of ensuring our day was everything we wanted it to be. She was a pleasure to work with and really goes the extra mile.

The venue has a number of reception rooms allowing you to tailor your day as you like and the beautiful gardens and lake mean there’s plenty of good locations for wedding photos as well as providing areas for guests to relax.

The food at the Tower was delicious and all guests commented on how much they enjoyed it. The bedrooms are all unique and in keeping with the style of the building. The bridal suite is amazing with oak-panelled walls and a four poster bed – perfect for a romantic getaway!

Wedding aside, Otterburn Tower is a lovely, tranquil hotel in a beautiful part of the world and I can’t wait to go back!

Room Tip: The Library Suite (aka bridal room), Umfraville Suite and Room 1 are all really nice
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
tower111, General Manager at Otterburn Castle Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2012

It's one of the real pleasures of this job being able to host weddings. Your comments are much appreciated and I have ensured that they have been passed on to all of the staff

There are newer reviews for Otterburn Castle Country House Hotel

Reviewed May 15, 2012

My wedding breakfast and evening reception was held here and everything went smoothly. The venue was perfect just what I had wanted. The meal was delicious and the overall comments have been very positive. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed the day, the marque was beautiful and those that stayed had a very comfortable night and enjoyed their breakfast. To conclude it was a wonderful wedding.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
tower111, General Manager at Otterburn Castle Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2012

I'm glad you had such a great day. We really enjoyed having you for the day and all of your family were utterly charming making the day a fantastic one for us too. It was a real pleasure to surprise you with the fairy lights in the marquee which are now a permanent fixture. Best of luck to you both and I hope you have an amazing honeymoon.

Reviewed May 9, 2012

The hotel is in a lovely location and grounds. We booked using a groupon voucher which came with an evening meal in the stables bar and a glass of wine each and we even brought our dog with us. We were all made to feel very welcome by the staff.

The food in the stables bar was really nice and fresh, although being vegetarian if I was staying for more than a couple of nights the choice would have been limited, however I'm sure that staff would have come up with something as nothing seemed to be a problem from what we observed at breakfast with the staff meeting requests of other guests. On our second day we were even given vegetarian sausages at breakfast which was really nice and being cooked to order it was hot and fresh. (No sitting under a hot plate for hours.) The nespresso coffee was lovely!

We had a good size room on the ground floor, with a huge bathroom which was nicely decorated and clean. My partner (who is a bit of a telly addict) was a bit disappointed with the small to and limited channels, but to be honest as I pointed out you don't usually go to Northumbria and watch telly. The bed was really comfy but the only downside was that you could hear doors being shut upstairs and people walking in the corridor outside. It was a shame that the broad band signal wasn't quite strong enough to work in our room, but it worked really well in the lounge and was free.

The hotel grounds were nice and there was plenty of parking. They were painting woodwork and the corridor during our stay and I would love to come back when they have finished the refurbishment.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah G

Dogs are always welcome here especially when seen lying in front of one of our fires! I'm pleased to hear that you had a lovely stay despite the lack of TV channels- this is one of the items I am hoping to get upgraded as part of the refurbishment. As for the wifi we will be extending it into the last 4 rooms very soon so that all bedrooms get good reception. At the moment, for those rooms without, we do have a gadget to plug into the wall sockets and thus give you internet access that way.

Reviewed May 3, 2012

There are many positives about the stay we had recently in the Otterbarn Hotel. Location is brilliant with incredible countryside around. Staff are very friendly and very good at customer contact. Breakfasts were good. Evening meals in the Tower were very good & varied. Parking is easy with a spacious carpark.

There are some deficiencies but these are not serious and I believe the Hotel has recently changed hands and is therefore going through a transition period. The general decor does require some money to be spent on it but whilst retaining the character of the place. Reception area needs to be more efficient. We arrived at the same time as a small walking group and it took ages to book them in! Not really good enough. Our room was spacious with reasonable facilities but didn't look as though it had been cleaned properly. It was relatively cold the nights we stayed...on the first night we had a brilliant wood fire but on the second night no one bothered to light it! Why?

So there were some reservations but on the who;e we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gorseinonboy45

Thank you for you kind and useful feedback. I am sorry for the delay at reception. As a small hotel we can't afford to keep numerous people on reception for the odd occasion where we get a group turning up. With that being said, someone should have at least offered you a comfy seat in front of the fire whilst the other guests were looked after. Speaking of fires, I wanted to know why the fire wasn't lit on your second night. I have spoken to the staff about this and I am keeping a watchful eye on them with regards to this.

Reviewed April 29, 2012

The last time we stayed here it was owned by John, a local farmer, and we loved it. The new owner took over last autumn, so there hasn't been much time to get up and running.

We had room 6, which is a nice sized room with 2 comfortable chairs, tea/coffee, biscuits and water. Large bathroom, plenty of hot water, nice toiletries and bathrobes. Old TV with 5 channels, and not very good reception, probably due to the location. Room was clean, apart from the wardrobe which inside was very dusty.

We had a lovely meal in the dining room, good ingredients well cooked and presented. Pleasant staff, but could do with a bit of prompting, e.g - people don't want their bread when ordering pudds, as I noticed happened to one couple. When you order wine, it is usual to be asked if you would like to taste it. It would be better to have a pot of coffee, rather than a cup. These are just tiny niggles and the staff had a wedding to cope with. We were warned about the wedding & disco before we went, but we didn't find the noise a problem. The Manager came and introduced himself which was a nice touch.

English breakfast is ordered and freshly cooked, fruit was a few bits in a bowl which you to peel yourself, breakfast cereal, a few pastries, no cooked meats or cheeses. For me it was disappointing as I prefer continental breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
tower111, General Manager at Otterburn Castle Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2012

Thank you for you comments which I have found very useful.

I take you point about the televisions and that is why an upgrade to the TV system is a fundamental part of the refurbishment plan.

I am disappointed to hear about the service you received as I expect more from my staff. On this occasion due to having 2 weddings back to back we had more junior, although experienced staff on duty in the restaurant. I am now looking into ensuring that there is always a senior member of staff either serving or close at hand to try and ensure that the more junior members are better supervised. I can only apologise for the service you received.

Regarding the coffee, we serve Nespresso coffee which only comes in cups as I feel that the taste, quality and choice of the coffee is second to none. I appreciate that some people prefer pots and we always have these available should someone ask. I will make this clearer in the menus so that people are more aware.

I hear what you say about the continental breakfast and will be speaking to the head chef to see how we can improve this aspect of what is available.

Once again, thank you for your comments, they have been very useful.

Reviewed April 26, 2012

We stayed here with the Groupon experience. From walking through the door the staff were outstanding and could not be friendlier. We stayed on the ground floor as we had two dogs. They both were made very welcome also; even though the weather was terrible with the rain and they got extremely wet they were still made to feel welcome. The room was extremely spacious and immaculate. Loved the fact the bedding and bath robes smelt lovely and clean! Tea and coffee was available in the room and topped up for day two whilst we were out. These touches were great. The breakfast was lovely and the service again brilliant. The waitress was very friendly and smiley! We ate in the Stables bar on the first night which again was beautiful with a fantastic friendly service.
The only downside was the decor in the room was a bit tired, but all in all a fantastic experience and would love to go back; hopefully next time the weather will be better. Thank you for making our stay so welcome. :-)

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

It was lovely to great to meet the dogs and it seems that when the weather isn't great they are the only ones who don't mind so much! Next time you come to stay you will have to try the Oak Room restaurant as with the changed menu the food is even more mouthwatering that before.

Reviewed April 26, 2012

on checking in the opwer in the whole village was down ? waited for some time still no power ( not the hotels fault ) The staff were very nice and the duty manager bent over backwards to get us trasnferd to another hotel just up the road that had power . Fantastic help from the manager and the hotel staff ,, getting back to the hotel , realy nice our room was a 4 poster room very clean and tidy .
We will be returning later in the year and recomend the hotel to any one looking for a relaxing stay

Room Tip: the libary room is stunning
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

Very sorry about the power and I'm just glad we were able to find somewhere else for you to stay so that you could still enjoy your break.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Otterburn
Langley Castle Hotel
Eshott Hall
#1 of 1 in Eshott
Battlesteads Hotel
Riverdale Hall Country House Hotel

Been to Otterburn Castle Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!