“DO NOT STAY THERE!!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED,”

Waterford Lodge Hotel
Ranked #27 of 29 Morpeth B&B and Inns
Durham, United Kingdom
“DO NOT STAY THERE!!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED,”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Stayed there for a special week end with friends (30 all together) and it was a nightmare, they mixed up the bookings and took ages to sort it, the manager was always difficult to locate, when ringing down to reception no one ever answered the phone, s.o always had to go to reception and wait ages for someone to come., The rooms were dropping to bits, we coiuld not turn off the shower, had to bathe in the dark, because they forgot to replace a broken light bulb. The window pane was broken and don't get me started on the meal. I know there were a lot of us, but an hour between er and main course? come on. Get this hotel sorted.........

Room Tip: don't go there.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I've stayed in this hotel four times now as I often have to come to the area on business. The question is, why do I keep coming back?

Well ... good things first. The hotel is clean, the staff are friendly and the breakfast is just fine. The hotel itself is on the edge of the main shopping/restaurant area of Morpeth, next the the lovely Carlisle Park (great for runners - just carry on along the river to access open countryside) and kids. There is a slightly wacky security system of locked internal doors (is crime in Morpeth really that bad?) but I'm not complaining.

Bed was a bit too soft for me, but comfortable.

On the downside ... the hotel is very scruffy and while the room I was in this time around (room 2) had obviously been redecorated, some of the old fittings had been moved back in (including some awful faded framed prints) which rather spolt the effect. Bathroom has cracked tiles and black grout in places, although the shower was powerful (even if it was held in place by a block of plywood). Bizarrely, the new furniture in the room had no drawers - anywhere - which meant that you couldn't put anything away even if you wanted to. Shower gel/shampoo holder was empty - which I wouldn't mind normally, but I'd forgotten my shampoo.

No hairdryer in the room but I borrowed one from reception.

Pub downstairs is well decorated but the beer is awful and the volume on the TV was on at full volume (with no-one watchng) when I was there, which didn't make for a good atmosphere, particulary as it was for a rather violent film. But there are plenty of better pubs in Morpeth so no worries there.

So, fine for a business trip or overnight stay if you're not spending long in the hotel (since it's clean, safe and friendly) but not a place for a long stay or romantic weekend.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2012

We stayed overnight here on our way to Edinburgh, at first when we saw the room we were a little worried that we may have booked the wrong place to stay, we could hear some noise from below and the interior was a little dated... but then we went downstairs. The pub is really nice, we stayed in there until bedtime as there was no need to go anywhere else, it was really modern and the staff are great! Then when we went to bed (at 10:30 as we were off early in the morning) there was no noise coming from anywhere! I was expecting a bad nights sleep but we had a fantastic sleep, the bed was huge and really comfy, the rooms have everything you need apart from a hair dryer - so take your own! Breakfast was fantastic! We all had different things and it was all perfect, again the staff were great and friendly. We wouldnt score the hotel higher purely based on the fact that it wasnt the best we have stayed in due to the appearance of the rooms but everything else was great! I would stay here again, but next time I would try the food in the italian restaurant as it looked really good and the room is decorated lovely! And parking is free, beer is cheap, town centre close -what more do you want!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2012

We had Our Daughters wedding reception here, brilliant time. The staff and management were friendly and helpfull. Great venue for anyone wanting to organise their own reception completely, all the staff gave us support throughout the planning and were fantastic and made it a very special day.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
leeds
Reviewed April 29, 2012 via mobile

I read all reviews on this hotel after booking it ! And was dreading staying !! But I was wrong all of the staff were very friendly and the room was lovely with a four poster bed, the hotel was very clean and tidy and it was very good value for money.

• Stayed April 2012
kingston upon hull
Reviewed January 17, 2012

We were staying outside of Morpeth over New Year but didn't have anywhere to eat on New Years Eve. We went in here as a last resort and were greeted by a very friendly, helpful gentleman who, along with the equally helpful resturant manager, managed to squeeze us in for the evening. The interior is lovely and classic, not overly modern but clean and relaxed. There was a great atmosphere and the food was out of this world. It made the whole weekend for us and would go back at the drop of a hat. We ate in some far more expensive places while on holiday and are used to top-class resturants, this out shined them all!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Emily1265
West Midlands
Reviewed November 23, 2011

Our room looked like a partial refurb had taken place. Furniture was in good condition, the bed was reasonably comfy and the carpet looked pretty new. The en suite was worn and tired, but the level of cleanliness was excellent. The cooked breakfasts were good. The location was also excellent, just a few minutes' walk from the centre of Morpeth.

Best point: the staff were great - very accommodating and helpful.

Worst point: the shower was bracingly cold, despite an abundance of hot water when I ran a bath instead.

Top recommendation for improvement: I understand it's an old building, but please get those little single steps levelled off, or at least mark the edges with white tape.

One other thing I'd like to see: proper beer in the hotel bar!! The only "bitter" on offer was a keg beer (John Smith's I think). Even if there isn't the demand for cask ale, what's stopping you having a few bottles in the fridge? I would love to have been able to try some beer brewed in Northumberland during my stay.

Room Tip: If you like sleeping with the window open, don't pick a room on the front. The main road is pre...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Morpeth
Macdonald Linden Hall Golf & Country Club
#3 of 29 in Morpeth
Birchwood House
Birchwood House
#2 of 29 in Morpeth

Been to Waterford Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!