“Best outside of New York she said...”
Review of Barluga Deli

Barluga Deli
Ranked #43 of 102 Restaurants in Morpeth
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Newcastle upon Tyne
“Best outside of New York she said...”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Barluga Deli in Morpeth is part of the Fluid Group who operate a number of establishments in the area and in particular Newcastle City centre.

If I was to ever win the lottery and realise my ambition of opening my own food establishment, these guys would certainly get the call for their design services. They have a fantastic eye for quality and detail and Barluga Deli is no exception. Top marks for decor, and lest face it when entering a place for the first time its one of the things which makes you feel a place is right for you.

I had been wanting to give this place a try for a while, but I had always either timed it wrong for (me to eat) food, or it being too busy, so on a recent Saturday morning we hit on perfect. There are two eating areas. One small area downstairs, and a much larger area upstairs (the provision of a lift is another plus point for those who find stairs difficult). We made our way upstairs and were seated very quickly. It was that sort of time between breakfast and lunch so it wasn't too busy, but I was delighted when I opened the menu to see they served their Barluga Breakfast all day. Easy decision. My wife opted for the Eggs Benedict, which is a favourite treat of hers.

Two Cappuccino arrived very promptly and we didn't have long to wait for the food to arrive either. The breakfast was full of your usual fayre: bacon, egg, 2 bangers, black pudding, oven dried tomato, baked beans and two slices of toast.

Now I have a thing about my baked beans touching my egg on a breakfast. I know I aint alone on that, but its one of my pet hates. Imagine my delight when the beans were presented on the plate in their own little dish. Top marks just for this!! Overall the breakfast plate was let down slightly by it having an overall dryness. I suspect it had been sitting on the pass under those hot lights a little to long, but didnt devalue my enjoyment of it. In addition the two slices of toast looked like they had just been waved at the toaster rather than spending any time under it. Accompanied by one small pat of butter, meant I had to request another one, which was forthcoming pronto.

My wife's Eggs Benedict got the thumbs up from her. An English Muffin split and toasted (well I refer to my previous comments as the muffin too had only just flirted with the toaster), Parma Ham topped with two perfectly cooked Poached Eggs and Hollandaise Sauce. Her verdict was that it was one of the best she had had outside of New York. Praise indeed.

Overall it ticked all the right boxes and there was enough on the menu for me wanting to return and try other items. The decor and ambience alone will ensure that.

• Visited January 2014
Hi

Glad you had a great breakfast.

We would love to see you join us for dinner some time. We have a new menu coming in March. Hope to see you then.

I love the eggs Benedict also

Thanks

Newcastle, England, United Kingdom
“Still fabulous , you guys !!”
Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

Go to bar Luga about once a month for Sunday lunch
Foods still good , could do with a new platter or two to keep me interested .
So tried the baked Camembert , glad we did it was lovely followed by the roast pork mmm
Only thing , the waiters kept saying 'guys' with every question . felt like I was in New York !!!
But apart from that great service and food
See you in 4 weeks guys. ;-)

• Visited December 2013
Hi

Really glad you had a great time. Hope to see you again soon.

Thanks

Morpeth, United Kingdom
“Love the bar luga burger !!”
Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

Great love it ! Love the atmosphere and music ! Wine could be cooler ( turn your fridges up ) !! But staff are attentive and subtle ! Brill service thanks

Visited December 2013
Hi

Really glad you had a great time. The burger is great and one of our all time favourites.
Apologies for the wine, it's all been taken care of now.
We hope to see you again soon.

Many thanks

Northumberland
“Hard to beat”
Reviewed December 6, 2013

Ate here on a quiet Monday evening and really can't fault it. Cocktails beforehand were lovely and a good choice of them. (Perhaps it might be a good addition to add a few non-alcoholic ones for those of us who are driving but don't just want a coke ...?) Then the meal upstairs was excellent. Good menu with lots of variety - and local produce too, an added bonus. All our party of four said how good their meals were and my venison was excellent, very tender and tasty.

Staff very friendly and accommodating, esp when we'd taken in a special birthday cake to have with coffee. Nothing seemed too much trouble.

Looking forward to a return visit.

• Visited November 2013
Barluga, Guest Relations Manager at Barluga Deli, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
Hi
Thanks for your kind comments, we hope to seeyou again very soon.

Kind Regards
David
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Great Decor & Friendly Staff”
Reviewed December 6, 2013

We really enjoyed our recent meal at Barluga - great location and brilliantly decorated / furnished.
The staff were very attentive and helpful, and our food and drinks arrived without delay.
One of our party had a pasta dish, which was perhaps slightly overcooked, but other than that, a great dining experience and we would return.

• Visited December 2013
Hi

Really pleased you enjoyed your most recent visit to Barluga let us hope it is one of many.

Kind Regards