“Ok”

Boyson Restaurant
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I dined in the restaurant with a friend as part of a package with the hotel (£87.50 per person for a three course meal, 30 min spa treatment & overnight stay) so I wasn't expecting to be wowed.

Starters were soup and mackerel -pleasant.
The tables were set up with butter dishes but there was no offer of a bread roll.
Mains were really tasty - slow cooked beef.
Desserts were poor, sticky toffee and chocolate brownie which were not homemade.

I asked for some still water for the table, I would have been happy with tap water but they served a large bottle of strathmore with a long hair wrapped round it. I mentioned it when they returned with the wine order, which they got wrong. It wasn't taken off the bill and I couldn't be bothered to mention it when checking out.

Ok and part of the package but would not return or recommend.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Visited this restaurant for sunday lunch. First impressions of the restaurant were of a carpet that had not been hoovered!! But that aside, we still had a pleasant lunch. I had the pate for starters,it was ok but nothing to write home about. My Hubby had the soup which he said was nice. We both had the roast beef dinner - very good - we really enjoyed it - very large yorkshire puddings and plenty of lovely beef. We were not going to have a pudding but after a short rest we decided to go for it. I had the creme brulee which was fine and hubby had the chocolate brownie which he said was very nice but obviously bought in. Overall a very nice lunch as we were there on a Living Social voucher, but they could do with a few more choices in the starters and puddings. Staff were very friendly.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

We went on a Living Social deal....The Boyson Restaurant looked a little uncared for, with ragged carpet and places of uncleanliness, although if the food had been good, we possibly wouldnt have noticed this. There wasnt much of a selection of starter for those who eat plain food, so my wife chose to have the sweet while I had the mackerel starter, which was tasty.

I was sure I heard one of the customers talk about "pink beef", so tried to get hold of a waitress, as my wife wont eat meat that shows any sign of blood, unfortunately, I was too late, although the pinkness wasnt evident until cutting into the single slice of beef. I must say I found my piece of beef ok, but my wifes was stringy and tough to cut, the Yorkshires looked previously frozen and were tateless,and the vegetables were scarce, the red cabbage not looking good on the plate. I thought I saw "bigger portions" on other plates....maybe they didn't have vouchers, although maybe we were glad there wasnt too much of a bad thing....

My wife left her cabbage, pudding and meat....(I ate the meat)....The chocolate pudding that followed was covered in a thick sweet sauce which made it sickly to eat, but the pudding itself wasnt too bad after cleaning the sauce off it....

We bought a single glass of wine, for which we were about to be charged £4.60....I say "about to be charged", as they can't take credit card for less than £5, unfortunately we hadn't brought any cash, so they let us off with it.................I wondered when I got out, why they didnt charge me £5 and give me 40p change.

Unfortunately we have another voucher to go back next week, which was bought as a gift, hopefully that will be better, but if not, at least I maybe able to negotiate something for the Yorkshire pudding/red cabbage.

The waiting staff were pleasant and polite and altough we waited a while, it wasn't too long.

I may have done some complaining had I paid the full price.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Had lunch here from a Living Social deal. We had to book weeks in advance as they kept saying that the restaurant was full. We arrived and were seated in a part where there were crowds of people walking past the huge glass windows looking in and at times I felt like waving at them! We ordered our food and drinks at the same time. My husband had finished his starter before the drinks arrived which is very poor, I think that the poor waiter had to go to the main bar as the bar in the restaurant wasn't open which is unbelievable considering how busy the restaurant was. After a wait of 45 mins for my main course I started to get very upset and even more so when some other people next to us were served theirs before us even we had been there much longer. I caught the waiter and our food came out quickly after that and we were told it was the fish that had caused the wait. not quite sure how that works when it's on the menu!! We ate our meal still with soup spoons and my starter cutlery firmly in place - again very poor service.

Overall the meal was fine when it came but we had to get up and go to the till to pay our bill as waiters were in very short supply and not to be found to ask for the bill! if the deal was a way of getting people to return - it won't work. I would have been furious if I had paid full price for the meal and as a consequence we will not be returning.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

We had a lovely afternoon tea here on a sunday - it is up some stairs from the collingwood bar in a light airy room with comfy sofas. The service was good, the tea and coffee plentiful, good selection of sandwiches, some scones with jam and cream and pastries. Well worth it. We followed this by a nice walk around the grounds.