“Dreadful”

Boyson Restaurant
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Looks great in pictures, reality very very very different!!!!
Staff poorly trained, rude, no understanding of please or thank you.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

Lovely food, pleasant surroundings and the staff were very nice and attentive staff. We had nocomplaints

Reviewed January 6, 2013

The actual restaurant is tucked away and not particularly homely or characterful. Some food had to be sent back as cold. Overall did not have a quality feel.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

My husband and I along with 4 friends saved up and decided to treat ourselves to night in Longhirst to celebrate the New Year and all I can say is never again. You would get better service in a fish a chip shop and it cost £220 per couple. The rooms are very spacious but could do with being updated - the bathroom had a very foisty smell but I suppose as we were only sleeping in the room it was livable for 1 night. We were taken upstairs for our "Gala Dinner" at 7pm and from this point on it was a disaster. The starters were ok but my main was foul - I ordered rack of lamb with a garlic mash which came at around 9pm and was 3 small lamb chops swimming in blood and full of fat and a small amount of mash (which I swear was instant mash with a bit garlic salt in). There was not a vegetable in sight. We sat and sat and 3 hours 15 minutes later at 10.15pm we called over a waitress who I have to say was rushed off her feet to ask if we were actually getting our desserts as we were hoping to get down to the gala disco to celebrate the new year. The waitress apologised and said she didnt realise. The dinner plates had not been cleared from the table and she came rushing back with the desserts and put them on the table without clearing the dirty dinner plates away. It was so unorganised and under staffed. Because of the time we waited we didnt bother waiting for coffee and headed dowstairs for the celebrations to find there were no available tables or seats in the room which I would estimate was suitable to hold around 50 guests and the dancefloow would hold around 20. Myself and my friend requested to speak to the manager but were informed by a Mr Patrick Lynch that there were no managers available that evening although he was a "Supervisor" and would take my complaint forward. When I told him all of the above I was absolutely gobsmacked to be informed by Mr Lynch that "there are 120 guests here and it is impossible to fit 120 guests in that room, there is a wedding on and you should have been in that room but we have had to prioritise the wedding". I was absolutely furious along with many other guests and I explained I had paidt £220 for that evening which was a total shambles from start to finish. Mr Lynch then got a member of staff to put chairs outside of the room where the disco was and expected us to sit there along with many other poor guests who couldnt get a table in the room. We took photographs and refused to sit there demanding a table which we paid £220 for. Eventually Mr Lynch rammed a table into the corner of the disco room with 3 chairs (even thought there were 6 of us) and we were facing and blocking a fire door (massive health and safety issue). We also took photographs of this as evidence to provide to the manager, Mr Glenn Fletcher. The following morning we went to reception to see Mr Fletcher as we were informed he would be in at 10am to be informed he had phoned in sick. The receptionist took our details but after 2 days I decided to email the hotel as I had not received a call. I eventually got a reply from the manager who does not intend to do anything about the shambles of an evening - as he thinks it was acceptable. I am so unhappy with the treatment received and all I can say is New Years Eve was ruined by Longhirst Hall.

4  Thank Shorten123
Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

My family and I went here for Christmas Day lunch. At £55 per head for a 3 course meal we had high hopes.
How disappointed we were.
It started fairly well with all but one of us liking their starter - but that was down to choice more than poor quality. That said the bread rolls weren't the freshest.
We all chose the traditional turkey for our main course. It looked nice however the portions were on the small side, especially for three men with good appetites.
This is where it all goes wrong.
The vegetables were barely warm, were not freshly cooked, and depending on which plate you were served, some had parsnips, some didn't, some had carrots, some didn't. Not all of us had a sausage with bacon and the portion of turkey again depended on luck. The roast potatoes were borderline anaemic and the sprouts were boiled within an inch of their lives.
Not wanting to make a fuss in front of other guests we carried as if all was well. Typically British!!
Now on to the sweets. Three of us had the lemon tart, which to be fair was lovely, however the Christmas pudding was a child sized portion and the chocolate mousse had no flavour.
No coffee (unless you paid for it) or mince pies to finish. Not even an after eight.
All in all a very poor quality and disappointing meal.
The service and enthusiasm of the staff however was good and to be commended.
This was our first time eating out on Christmas Day and we would do it again just not at Longhirst Hall.

5  Thank Burgaface