Macdonald Linden Hall Golf & Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Longhorsley
tetney
“Lovely”
Reviewed August 17, 2014

A lovely hotel but we booked for three and there was no bed for our grandson. After we asked for one he fell through it as there were three spells missing bruising his knee. We did get a replacement but it did put a slight downer to the start of our break. The breakfast was superb and the staff were just lovely and friendly.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
Sheffield
Reviewed August 10, 2014

We recently stayed 3 nights with a group of friends and decided to stay at Linden Hall on the recommendation of other friends who had stayed there previously.
The rooms were all spacious and beautifully clean, albeit a couple of the rooms were quite warm at night - not unusual in my experience. We decided to eat in the restaurant on the first night, and whilst not cheap, the food and service was excellent and one of the most enjoyable meals I have had in a hotel for a long time.
I'm an early riser and on both mornings I went to sit in the lounge with my newspaper and ordered a cup of tea, waiting for the rest of the party to come down for breakfast. On neither occasion would the hotel charge me for the tea, which I felt was very unusual. My experience of hotels is that they don't miss any opportunity to take money from you. The attitude of this hotel was refreshing and is one of the reasons we will definitely return if we are in this area again.
Finally I would like to mention Julia on reception who went out of her way to make our stay an enjoyable one.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank sparky1947
Reviewed August 8, 2014 via mobile

Been a lovely 5 day break!
Room was lovely and peaceful. Breakfasts were great!
Would be more than happy to go back again.
All the staff were so friendly and polite! The grounds were really beautiful.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Jaccord
Retford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 8, 2014

Stayed one night with my son on a Golfing Package. Found all staff very friendly and helpful. Our room was very hot despite sleeping with window half open. Food in The Linden Bar was reasonable but my steak was not cooked to order and we were served wrong Starter.
Woken up in morning by our room telephone. Apparently water was leaking into the Breakfast Room below from our Bathroom. Therre was a leak in a pipe behind the sink. Repair took a long time and we were unable to use the bathroom before we checked out. To be fair reception did offer another room to use. We were reimbursed by a helpful Receptionist who allowed us not to pay for our food supplements for the previous evening.

Despite this would revisit.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 8, 2014

Just wanted to commend this hotel on the atmosphere and service that is provided. We had a lovely stay with our two young children and the staff made us feel very welcome and went out of our way to make our stay lovely. Special mention has to go to the lady who booked us in, she was so helpful it contributed to us quickly changing from one night to three nights. Also thought the breakfast was fantastic. My only criticism was that the pool could do with a bit of a freshening up. Otherwise great hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2014

having booked for a party of four 1 week prior we were left disappointed when we arrived having been told by a very miserable receptionist that we didnt have rooms because we booked through booking.com and they were fully booked
We were then expected to just go away no apology / no offer of help to find us somewhere else
would not even give us the number for booking.com who we eventually contacted without her help
It was verified that the over booking was the hotels fault and our weekend was nearly ruined
but we ended up finding a much better hotel at the nearby doxford hall hotel ... fantastic
Having spent 1 hour at macdonald linden and experiencing unhelpful staff stinking mouldy smell in corridors and miserable atmosphere I am actually glad of there mistake
Would recommend Doxford Hall anytime over this one

Room Tip: go elsewhere
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
11 Thank anthony h
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2014

We stayed at Linden Hall for a close friends wedding and on all aspects of the wedding front, it was excellent. The hotel provided wonderful grounds for photos, an impressive foyer for drinks and a nicely separated ballroom for the wedding itself.

As for the hotel itself, the staff were very friendly at check-in. However, from first entering the bedroom I was taken aback by the heat of the room. I noticed that the towel rail was on and the window was closed, so I turned it off and opened the window hoping that would settle things. Alas it did not. The room remained unbearably hot. The window opened merely an inch or two and in the roof of the building where the room was located this was woefully inadequate.

I was woken at 3am by a fire alarm that ran for about 10 seconds before being turned off. The cause for the alarm was never explained to us but it managed to disturb the sleep of many of the wedding guests. At that point the heat of the room was intense. I called reception to raise the issue but they could offer little more than a fan because the hotel was fully booked. The fan, directed at the bed from close range, offered just enough breeze to allow sleep, but it was a long way from the peaceful night one would expect in such a high end hotel.

The following night was much the same, and yet again the hotel was fully booked so there was nothing else available. Matters were then made worse when we woke and found that the rain overnight had leaked through the light in the bathroom causing a minor flood. We informed reception and they did their best to make another room available about an hour later for us to shower.

While waiting for our shower to be available, we went for breakfast. Breakfast itself was very nice, a good ranging cold buffet and al la cart hot breakfast (full english, eggs benedict etc). Alas during breakfast I encountered another aspect of below-par service. After a wait of 20 minutes to be given the chance to order a cooked breakfast, I was served an eggs benedict that I discovered after a few bites had poached eggs that were hard boiled. I sent it back to the kitchen to be changed. It was promptly returned to me, well presented, with perfect eggs, however, the muffin, sauce and ham below them were the very same I’d sent back to the kitchen – evident by the fact that the quantity of hollandaise sauce had halved and there were parts missing from my previous bites. I found this re-arranging of the dish with new eggs on a fresh plate to be a very low move from such a classy restaurant and were it not for the fact that I’d already sent it back once I’d have raised this.

It's a real shame these few issues let down an otherwise impressive hotel and hopefully they will address them soon to bring it up to scratch.

Likes
- Impressive building
- Great for weddings
- Nice food
- Overall good service
Dislikes
- Room too hot to sleep in (thus low rating)
- Breakfast service very slow and sloppy

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground floor are much cooler.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DrMikey24
Also consider these accommodations in or near Longhorsley
Doxford Hall Hotel
The White Swan Hotel
The White Swan Hotel
#5 of 5 in Alnwick
Battlesteads Hotel

Been to Macdonald Linden Hall Golf & Country Club? Share your experiences!