“Lovely hotel with friendly & helpful staff”

Macdonald Linden Hall Golf & Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Longhorsley
Amble, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel with friendly & helpful staff”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We recently enjoyed a nights stay in this hotel for my birthday along with evening meal and breakfast. The hotel in beautiful and set in lovely grounds. All of the staff were very friendly & helpful. We stayed in the Linden Suite which was lovely and a little bit special but there were areas that needs attention and perhaps looked a little run down. We ate in The Dobson restaurant and the food was very good and the staff again very polite and helpful. Breakfast was very good too with plenty of choice. We also used the spa facilities during our stay which included the pool, sauna, steam room & jacuzzi, this area also seemed a bit run down in places and the towels that we received were not 4 star standard, they were grey and well used.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
GMLinden, General Manager at Macdonald Linden Hall Golf & Country Club, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Traveller
Thank you for your review regarding your experience at Linden Hall. I am very pleased to note that you had an enjoyable experience, and I shall pass on your kind words to all the teams your encountered.
I have taken note of the comments regarding some refurbishment works required, and I am in the process of actioning such works at this time. The spa towels have also been replaced, and the laundry issue resolved.
On behalf of the team here at Linden, I hope to welcome you back again very soon & if there is anything that I can be of further assistance with, please do not hesitate to get in touch directly.
gm.lindenhall@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

I have just checked out of Linden Hall Hotel after a short break with friends. Upon arrival we were assigned a newly refurbished room in the Spa block. It was comfortable, spacious and beautifully appointed.

We ate dinner in the restaurant and we all chose off the a la carte. The three courses were of high quality and my personal highlight was the black pudding, poached egg and hollandaise starter.

The following day the girls used the spa and we played golf. Again, happy to report that the quality of the course was up to the standard of the rest of the hotel. The girls were equally complimentary about the spa.

I can't wait to return for another short break and would heartily recommend Linden Hall to anyone who appreciates great food and great service.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Traveller
Thank you for your review regarding your experience at Linden Hall. I am very pleased to note that you had such an enjoyable experience, and I shall pass on your very kind words to all the departments your encountered.
Morpeth, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We met friends here on Thursday 10th October who we hadn't seen for over 30 years and who were were staying on a short break and our experience relates to the restaurant.
As we had arranged to have dinner with them and spend a little time reminiscing, we arrived a little after 7pm on a very blustery evening.
The reception area was welcoming; a member of staff asked if he could help; he directed us to where our friends were waiting for us and asked us if we wanted drinks. So far, so good.
Having read some rather negative reviews, I didn't expect too much! However, the courtesy and service of the staff was faultless; Dinner was excellent, though pricey and our experience was first-class. You can easily spend £100 on dinner for two, three courses each with wine. Worth it? For us, yes!
All-in-all, we had a great get-together with our friends enhanced by the ambience of our surroundings.

1 Thank Fraser L
Dear Traveller
Thank you for your review regarding your experience at Linden Hall. I am very pleased to note that you had such an enjoyable experience, and I shall pass on your kind words to the team.
Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Stayed 2nd 3rd October a reunion of some 29 people mostly couples some singles. Unlike a similar event reviewed here our experience was good apart from some issues with service. The place seemed quite busy but the staff although most pleasant did not seem adequate and thus food was delayed for our man evening meal but mainly for the two breakfasts. The breakfast buffet was great with a great variety of things on offer to suit most tastes I would have thought. I only had this and apart from never getting the cereal bowls requested several times and having to resort to having fruit berries on a plate I enjoyed it very much. My husband eats a cooked breakfast and would have liked a 'full English' but found that they served only smoked bacon which is not to his taste so he had boiled eggs one day and scrambled the next with no complaints. Our main reunion meal was very tasteful - we chose the lamb which was a generous portion and delicious but cooked a little on the rare side for some of our number. My husband enjoyed his sweet course though cannot remember what it was - I was a little disappointed with the apple crumble which was served in a small 'individual' pot with some. 'packet' crumble on top.We too stayed in room 121 like another contributor, My husband when prompted said he could remember some 'delivery' noise but obviously was not too bothered by it I could not - perhaps there is some advantage to elderly onset deafness! Although we cannot be sure that we remembered this en suite from all the others where we have stayed recently we had no issues with the shower- which we would most certainly have used!! so can only imagine the the problems reported here by others have been adequately addressed. The ground are lovely and peaceful - although we had little time available to walk round them. We likewise did not play golf but we spoke to others staying at the time and they enjoyed their golf there. We took trip out variously to Morpeth for shopping and Alnwick for lunch and various sightseeing places - we also spent some time on the coast at Seahouses. Overall we found it very successful for our reunion. We enjoyed the gym and the swimmng pool but did find the towels a bt elderly and grey looking.

Room Tip: We had no problems with room 121 although we are somewhat deaf and others writing here were disturbe...
1 Thank Liz L
Dear Traveller
Thank you for your review regarding your stay & I have passed on your very constructive feedback regarding the perceived staffing levels & also the crumble dessert.
I have instructed the restaurant team to ensure that they purchase any required cereal bowls as a matter of priority, and the spa towels these have all been replaced promptly.
I’m pleased to note that the overall reunion was very enjoyable, and thank you once again for highlighting these points to me so that I can ensure the relevant actions are taken.
If there is anything that I can be of further assistance with, please do not hesitate to get in touch directly.
Durham
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Linden Hall looked a nice 4* hotel and seemed to be the perfect venue so we felt safe to book our annual dinner. We have speeches, toasts. guest speakers, and a musician so private dining in the South restaurant was ideal. The room was set with 3 round tables for 25 guests and looked quite pleasant. The menu choices were all pre-ordered.

From the outset there were problems, there were no staff to take wine or drinks orders so we had to go to the bar and wait and wait and wait but most of the time there was no one to serve.

The starters varied from below average to very poor. one guest had tomato soup (really it was just orange coloured water in a small bowl). None of the starters arrived at the same time and some guests had finished by the time the last one arrived.

The fun really started when the main courses eventually came over about a 90 minute period. The Beef eaters complained about the quality, the vegetarians complained about what was described as filo pastry tart, sundried tomato, wild mushrooms and goats cheese. It turned out to be a small square piece of puff pastry with a bit of what looked like ratatouille on top and nothing else at all. The Chicken and Salmon eaters seemed happy but portions were small and some arrived without vegetables. When someone asked for some potatoes they were told there wasn't any left! Two people on our table sat for over 1 hour with nothing whilst the others had to eat or the main course would have gone cold. Some meals were were sent back and again it was 45minutes before they returned. All this time there were no staff, they all kept disappearing, at one time it was 45 minutes with no staff in the room. Our organisers went looking for them and all they found was a very apologetic Duty Manager who was doing her best to overcome the difficulties she had been left to resolve.

Desserts when they did arrive were unbelievably horrible and this from a hotel that says it has 2 AA Fine Dining Rosettes! Tinned apple in an "Apple Crumble" with no crumble (very small bowl), some kind of lemon tart with a small bought in cheap pastry case and I'm not mentioning the absence of biscuits with the cheese!

Everything individual meal was brought out at very different times and so no one could eat anything together. There was no staff really to complain to and really you cannot just sit complaining all night it just makes matters worse.

Due to the non existent staff coffee became self service. This and worse was happening on the other two tables. All at a cost of £36 each.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere!
6 Thank DurhamInspector6
Dear Traveller
Thank you for your feedback regarding your dining experience. Please accept my sincere apologies for the service you encountered. Having spoken to the organiser of your event personally I have conveyed my apologies and this indeed was a one off occurrence which will not be repeated & relevant actions were taken immediately from that event.
If there is anything I can do for you specifically please do not hesitate to get in touch.
Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I visited Linden with four friends on a Girlie Spa Retreat at a cost of £139.50 each which included two treatments, dinner in the Dobson restaurant and breakfast the next day. With the cost of a lunch when we arrived plus drinks and a couple of extra treatments we spent almost £1000 between us. I have to say we have stayed every year (bar one) and the service on this occasion was terrible and could be compared with Fawlty Towers.

We arrived at Linden Tree pub for a pre-booked lunch at 12 to find it completely deserted. We had to shout for attention before having to wait a ridiculous amount of time to be served our lunch. It took so long we had to order extra drinks as we were sitting twiddling our thumbs. Our food (when it arrived) was delicious however.

We then checked in. We had requested rooms near the spa in January when we booked but were told on check in these weren't available. A wedding was going on and I presume we were 'bumped' for wedding guests. Instead we were given rooms on the first floor away from the spa (not very convenient to wander from your room to treatments in a dressing gown). On checking the rooms one of our party discovered a wardrobe door hanging off - she reported it twice but has yet to hear what they are going to do about it. She had to physically lift it out of the way so she could use the wardrobe space.

We then visited the spa and were given towels, dressing gown and slippers that we all commented on - off white, grey and grubby looking. The changing areas are badly in need of refurb and resemble a council run swimming pool changing area with discarded tissues and towels.

We'd booked dinner at 7.30. Whilst the food was okay the service was comical. We were apologised to multiple times for the delay but it took over three hours. One course per hour. again we ordered extra drinks to pass the time (extra costs again and at £25 per bottle of wine, not cheap). One of our party actually went to bed and missed her last course because she was tired of waiting. Another of our party ordered Crème Brulee which arrived with the sugar simply sprinkled on the top without it being fired. When this was queried and the watress went to check with the chef, she returned to tell us the blow torch to fire it was broken! We presume the chef thought we were just silly girls who wouldn't notice! My cheese board came with multiple cheese samples, a huge amount of butter and just two crackers - I presume they'd ran out! At this stage we were feeling heartedly sorry for the staff who had made multiple trips to our table to apologise. Each trip they seemed more and more embarrassed. I don't know what was going on but I've never seen such shambolic service. We even joked that the waiting staff were also doing the cooking - it would explain a few things. A private party were in the room next door and we saw members of their party coming out and complaining too. The staff on duty remained calm and super friendly but were simply overwhelmed - too many things to do and not enough pairs of hands. The management of Linden should be ashamed of their lack of support and planning.

In mentioning the management, I would like to say I did speak to a manager on checking out. She was full of apologies and surprised looks but that's a s far as it went - we weren't offered any recompense. She simply apologised and went about looking after the wedding guests that were there.

Personally, I would rethink any future visits. Linden Hall is not what it used to be and the poor waiting staff can not possibly cope with their workload.

Visited Sat 5th Oct/Sun 6th

3 Thank riejon1
Dear Traveller
Thank you for your feedback regarding your spa experience, and please accept my sincere apologies for the service you encountered.
With regards to the spa towels these have all been replaced, and also the food & service issues encountered on that particular evening have also been promptly resolved.
I have also responded to your feedback via email.
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2013

A very disappointing visit. A private dinner booked several months ago with pre-ordered menu at a not-inconsiderable cost. Dingy room, no-one at the bar and the service... or lack of... during the evening appalling. The food was uneatable - when it arrived. Staff were either insufficiently trained, badly supported or just didn't want to be there. The chef must have been on holiday. Never again!

4 Thank ERF18
gm.lindenhall@macdonald-hotels.co.uk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Longhorsley
Eshott Hall
The White Swan Hotel
The White Swan Hotel
#5 of 5 in Alnwick
Battlesteads Hotel

Been to Macdonald Linden Hall Golf & Country Club? Share your experiences!