“Good place to stay on Holy Island”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Manor House Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Holy Island
Manor House Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Holy Island B&B and Inns
rome
“Good place to stay on Holy Island”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

On arrival, the warm and commanding welcome made us feel at home in this lodging on Holy Island. The warmth of this welcome was confirmed upon entering the bar. But all of this was surpassed by the quality of the service and food of the dining room. The wine list was appropriate to the food.
A great base for Holy Island experiences.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank peregrino-perduto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Beds, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2014

To say that the hotel does not deserve five stars would be inaccurate. To say that the the hotel, the rooms, the food and the staff are not all exemplar would be plainly wrong. The hotel is near perfect and I would recommend it to anyone without hesitation. Speaking of hesitation however, I do have one minor criticism: the sausages. This hotel is exceptional and I am deeply regretful at having to air any negative viewpoint but I feel it my duty to fellow sausage purists to point out a minor failing. There is too much sage in the sausages. Far too much! Fellow purists will feel the force of my remarks when I suggest that I felt somewhat let down by the sausages. I hope the proprietors will feel able to give deep consideration to this issue and go in search of sausages with a far smaller sage content or, preferably, none.

I can only repeat my highest praise for the hotel. So much so that I will not even dwell too long on the other breakfast failings; those being the inclusion in a Northumbrian breakfast of the American hash brown and the baked bean. I continually bemoan the existence of these foodstuffs. They are the product of a deranged mind and I'm sad that the hotel proprietors have included these in their breakfast offerings. However I am realistic enough to realise that they will be catering for the masses, thus speeding up the process of the entire world hurtling, inexorably, towards the end of civilisation.

These things aside, if you favour the hash brown, the baked bean and the sage infested sausage, book a room at this hotel. You'll love it!

Room Tip: A room facing the castle and harbour will make your stay perfect.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank AVB99
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

Really disappointed with this hotel. We visited holy island recently in May and being tired and very cold around 5:30pm when it was raining we went in for some refreshments. My hubby got a whiskey, and my friends got coffee - the coffee was out of a machine. I wanted tea but the bar man told us he did not have time to make tea as they had a large party in for a meal and were very busy. Are they not in the hospitality industry?

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Vlaardingen, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2014

Room was on the second floor, overlooking the bay and Northumberland on one side, and Holy Island on the other. Stunning!!! Beautiful location. Breakfast: very good, staff extremely friendly and helpful.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014

This is the third time I've stayed here, and always on business (leading a course on the island) which means that I need a place that can deliver everything on time so I can keep to the schedule. This hotel delivers. Food is good at all meals, and served by pleasant staff. The bar area offers an attractive and comfortable space where you can enjoy conversations as well as food and drink, and the garden outside is a pleasant eating space when the weather is fine. The bedrooms that I've been in have all been of a high standard, and are kept clean (including bathrooms, which isn't always the case in more fancy hotels). The island itself is a wonderful place to visit, steeped in history and wildlife, but accommodation is pretty limited so don't assume you can show up and automatically find a place without advance reservations. And of course you have to beware of the tides and only drive across the causeway when it's safe to do so. Don't expect a hotel on this sort of island to be the same as some boutique hotel you once stayed at on Hawaii (and I've been there as well!), but this one matches its environment, and is in the best location of all with the castle out the window on one side and the priory on the other.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Theologyprof
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

On Easter Sunday we stopped outside, on the picnic tables, to have a bite to eat. As a vegan there was little I could have....but I accept that as its my choice to be vegan.

The outside dinner menu said they had hummus and pita bread. As it was lunch time (not dinner)I thought I'd ask if I could just get a bit of hummus and an order of chips. While inside ordering I started to ask and before I finished the man behind the bar said, "No. That's the dinner menu."

I don't know if he thought I was going to argue with him or what but I went to ask "So I can't get a bit of just the hummus? " and before I could get half way through the sentence he spoke over me and said "No, its not available".

Complete dick.

Do yourself a favor and go to the Crown and Anchor next door.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
7 Thank murphy710
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

I visited as a result of this having been the 2nd night stay by Ewan and Charley on "Long Way Down".
The hotel is excellent, clean and tidy and excellent value.
The restaurant for dinner was great, again very good value and local produce used.
Breakfast was perfect.
The hotel has perhaps the best spot in the village. It has it's own parking area. Views from the hotel are fabulous.
The staff are a credit to this place, they are all excellent. A super stay - thank you - I will be back !

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Brock Mill Farmhouse
The Sunningdale Hotel
The Sunningdale Hotel
#1 of 9 in Bamburgh

Been to Manor House Hotel? Share your experiences!