“very impressive hotel”

Queens Head Hotel
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“very impressive hotel”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 4 days a few weeks ago. It was her 1st anniversary of coming to the UK. Staff were friendly and helpful. We stayed in room 6 which was very comy. Breakfast was superb; my wife enjoyed the full English breakfast every morning and I had the lovely kippers. We only had 1 evening meal as we were doing a fair bit of traveling; food was very good. My wife says it was one of the best meals she has ever had.
I would recommend this hotel 100% for anyone thinking of a wee trip to Berwick.

1 Thank freescotland
letsgoawayonholiday, Owner at Queens Head Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Many thanks for your positive & complimentry review. We are pleased you enjoyed your evening meal & the kippers in the morning , which are smoked locally. We hope to see you both in the future & continue to live up to your expectations. Thanks again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We stayed 3 nights and could not have been made more welcome by Garry and Joanne. Our room was small but warm and comfortable with fresh fruit and bottled water supplied. Dinners were prepared individually and were exceptional. Highly recommended.

2 Thank David S
letsgoawayonholiday, Owner at Queens Head Hotel, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Many thanks for your great review David. We are pleased we exceeded your expectations & hope to see you both in the future. Thanks again
inverness
Reviewed September 26, 2012

After reading the review for this Hotel i was hoping for something special..sadly i was a wee bit disappointed..
We got the family room.Which was spacious and clean and lots of really nice touches.I thought
it could do with an upgrade thogh as some of the furniture is slightly jaded..the meal we had in the restuarant was fantastic though.Top quality and very well presented.
It was however when we got up in the morning that our troubles started...no hot water!!
Now i know this happens....but after phoning the reception several times there was no answer!!..finally getting through i was (rather abrubtly)told that they knew they had no hot water and were working on it...after waiting about for ages we decided to head for breakfast.(which was excellent)...but still no hot water!!...this room was £90 for the night!..we checked out (after getting no discount,we did ask)....it really spoiled our one night...never again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank mapper68
Thankyou for your constructive review & may I first apologise with your disappointment from having no hot water in your bathroom on your short stay with us. Believe me when I say its in our interest that guests who stay leave happy & content to spread the word or hopefully return in the future You also mentioned the furniture is slightly jaded, I personally do not think the rooms are tired but we are aware we need to change the concept of the rooms this is something we are looking to do next spring with some rooms already fitted with double glazing and the rest to be completed by no later than next summer. Prioriitizing unfortunately takes time & money & I am sure at this moment in time with regards to the economic climate my line of industry is pretty tough. The lack of hot water unfortunately came down to the programmer not working which controls the heating & hot water & the plumbers were working on this while you were having your breakfast. A new programmer was installed later that morning. You also mentioned asking for discount & a member of staff declined & as she was in no authoritative position to do so. I have no hesitation that if you contact me I am more than happy to give you some refund back but all you needed to do was contact me rather than view your grievance on trip advisor. Hopefully you wil read this message as I hope to address this situation with your consideration on a return visit to the hotel as from your review apart from the water you were more than happy with & we di hope to see you both in the future.
Oxfordshire
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Arrived in Berwick late on a Wednesday night, our hosts in the guest house recommended we try the Queens Head. Really glad we did - superb food, great service, lovely evening, and reasonably priced for a posh dinner! In fact we enjoyed it so much we went back the following night, something I don't think I've ever done anywhere. (We'd have gone a third night except that the menu didn't seem to change daily.) The bar is very pleasant too if you just want to pop in for a drink. They do a good pint of Guinness.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thankyou very much Favion for your positive review. As mentioned in previous management response you must of enjoyed your meal to come back for more punishment the following evening & as you have said you both have never done this before! Glutens! With regards to the menu, dishes change once per week on starters, main courses & desserts this creates seasonal turn around produce & consistancy in the preperation & presentation of the dish to the customer. we hope to see you both in the future & thanks again.
highlands
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Booked for dinner on Friday evening, the food and service was so good we went back again on Saturday evening. Staff were very friendly and attentive throughout the meal, all the food was excellent. The Fillet Steak was the best I have eaten anywhere.
I will be returning here very soon.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank happypandaHighlands
Wow thanks for the review I will take this as a compliment with regards to the best fillet steak you have ever tasted. We source all of our food locally & with regards to all meat dishes we have every confidence from our suppliers that no steak knives are required. The evening meal must of been enjoyable as you came back for more punishment the following day! lol! Seriously though thanks for your review & we hope to see you in the future wether for accommodation or dinner with us & hope to maintain the standards that the public like yourselves expect.
Reviewed August 23, 2012 via mobile

Living in nearby Newcastle, I decided I would like a mini break to Berwick for my birthday present from my boyfriend. We stayed at this hotel for one night and from the moment I walked in the place I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel is owned by a fantastic married couple who you can immediately tell that this is their passion. The husband serves all food in the restaurant - which was amazing! Even though I am writing this review a year after I visited, I can still remember what I had for dinner! The breakfasts are all cooked to order as well. Although the hotel does not boast many rooms, our room was lovely and surprisingly big - the bathroom is bigger than mine at home! The room also came with tea making facilities and a good choice of information about the local area. I only had one small inconvenience during my stay - we visited on a Saturday night, and as the hotel is situated in the town centre, we were kept up late to the sounds of drunk partygoers. Obviously the owners can't do anything about this and I didn't let this dampen my stay. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone considering staying in Berwick, or even just to visit the restaurant!

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank cakeface85
Many thanks for you great review & were more thank happy we made your birthday a memorable one. To be honest all we are trying to do is offer hospitality to the best of our capabilities & when we receive complimentary reviews like this its certainly makes our job more rewarding. We hope to see you in the fuutre or even on a short break as Newcastle is not to far to travel.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Wonderful hotel and restaurant. We finished our holiday to France by visiting this lovely hotel on our drive home. The restaurant was lovely, great food, pleasant and amiable service. The hotel room was very neat and clean and our breakfast before setting off was perfect! Very happy with every aspect of the service and would definitely recommed a stop off here to all of our friends if passing through! Thank you Garry and Joanne for a lovely end to our holiday.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
letsgoawayonholiday, Owner at Queens Head Hotel, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Thanks for your great review Colin. Pleased we finiished off your holiday in good style. the best form of advertising is through 'word of mouth' so spread the word! Hope to see you again in the future either through a stopover from warmer climates or spending more time in beautiful Northumberland & the Borders. Thanks again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Berwick upon Tweed
Marshall Meadows Country House Hotel
Marshall Meadows Country House H...
#2 of 3 in Berwick upon Tweed
#22 of 45 in Berwick upon Tweed
The Walls Bed and Breakfast
The Walls Bed and Breakfast
#2 of 45 in Berwick upon Tweed

Been to Queens Head Hotel? Share your experiences!