“Romantic, holiday illusion”
Review of El Taperio - CLOSED

El Taperio
Cuisines: Moroccan, Spanish
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: El Taperio welcomes you to come and try our twist of spanish/ moroccan food. All freshly cooked and authentic, Head Chef is from morocco and moved to spain at a young age to cook, hence the fusion of cuisines. Open daytimes for coffees, cakes and lunches & evenings for evening meal. Offering a range of Tapas, tagines, Paellas and other dishes typical of these 2 Beautiful countries.
Berwick upon Tweed, United Kingdom
“Romantic, holiday illusion”
Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I visited El Taperio on Saturday night and managed to get a table in this buzzing little restaurant. I started with a glass of the house red which was full bodied and reasonably priced. I then ordered chicken in white wine and garlic which was served with rice and chips! Portions are very good value for money. My husband ordered a few starter/tapas dishes which he thoroughly enjoyed.
The best thing however was the atmosphere. The lighting was perfect with a few candles glowing and some gentle spanish music, it really felt like a little piece of Spain.
Would highly recommend this one.

• Visited August 2013

“Eat here!”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

A small restaurant on Bridge Street. Quiet when we arrived but with a constant stream of customers. We just popped in for a quick snack and ended up having lunch with dessert and an excellent bottle of Rioja. The service was great, attentive but not pushy. We'll definitely eat here again.

• Visited September 2013
“Absolutely faultless”
Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

What a little gem this authentic restaurant is. Super friendly service. Delicious tapas food, pulled out all the stops, even gave me a jar of potatas bravas sauce as I loved it so much. Ice lolly for my son made his day. You need to eat here.

• Visited September 2013
Bristol
“Disappointing and a bit odd!”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We ate here on a Saturday night and found the food quite disappointing. I can't remember what we had to start but it was unmemorable. For mains my wife had a Moroccan stew which she thought was just OK. I had the Lobster Paella which seemed remarkably cheap for £18, but I wish I hadn't bothered.

After I ordered I noticed that the lady on the next table had received her lobster paella and she couldn't cope with it. The lobster had been split in two and covered the entire paella pan which meant she couldn't get to the rice underneath. None of the claws had been cracked. She was seriously struggling.

I called the waitress over and requested that my lobster's claws be cracked before it was brought to me. When it arrived the waitress told me that the chef didn't want to spoil beauty of the dish and would crack the claws when I was ready. I too was struggling with the lobster.I requested a plate to put the shell on but as the tables were so small there was only room for a small plate, and there was a lot of lobster. The lobster was vastly overcooked and not worth the money or bother to eat it. So I tried the rice, and there things got worse. The chef had used what seemed to be long grain rice rather then paella rice and it was overcooked and a bit on the mushey side. Easily the worse Paella I've ever had. Pity.

At 8.30pm on a Saturday four people came into the restaurant and asked for a table (there was one spare) and the waitress told them the kitchen was no longer serving food. The chef then left at 8.45pm. Maybe he had a prior engagement or an emergency but it was quiet shocking to see people needlessly turned away on the busiest day of the week. Fortunately, he cracked my lobsters claws before he left.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank TravelNutBristol
UK
“Lovely little restaurant!”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

This restaurant serves Spanish and Moroccan food. It's a short walk from the town centre, near the river. It's on the small side, and has a nice cosy atmosphere - it was full on a Wednesday evening, so it's probably a good idea to book in advance.

The food was delicious - I had a jamón ibérico starter whilst my wife had the pan con tomate which we both enjoyed. We then shared a chicken and chorizo paella, which was nicely cooked. The wine list wasn't extensive, but we enjoyed a nice bottle of the red stuff. The service was good - a friendly waitress - and I would definitely come back here again.

Visited August 2013