“Do not just take note of the bad reviews!!”

Marshall Meadows Country House Hotel
Reviewed June 24, 2014

I'm writing this review as I advised a friend of mine to stay at Marshall Meadows recently and they took note of only the bad reviews on Trip Adviser and decided against it.

My colleague and I were lucky enough to stay here as part of a trip taking 12 carers away for a break last year. All 12 of them still rave about it. It was a fun and relaxing break for each person there and every single one of the 12 have told me that they were made to feel special and very welcome and, in their eyes, would all give it more than 3 stars..

The rooms were excellent, the staff were very attentive and friendly and couldn't do enough for us. The food was gorgeous and the owners David and Robert were lovely. I would not hesitate to thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Some of them are reputed to be haunted - so ask if that appeals to you :-)
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Suzy586

Reviewed June 23, 2014

We stayed as a large family group and from the moment we arrived the staff were helpful, polite and happy.
There were 11 of us staying, 6 adults, 5 children (aged 14 down to 4) and 2 dogs.
Our rooms were clean and fresh. The hotel is so pretty, the building itself along with the grounds are an absolute pleasure. The staff made sure we got exactly what we wanted to eat and went out of their way to make sure we could eat as a group comfortably.
As the hotel had lots of people staying and we wanted to eat in the bar with the dogs, space was an issue for our big group so the staff opened the conservatory for us to eat in. As it was a special celebration for us, mum and dads 70th, it made the family evening feel more intimate and more special. Everyone enjoyed their meal, the dogs were brought water and after tea the children played chase on the expansive lawn. It was a very relaxed evening and the whole family were made to feel very welcome and the children really enjoyed themselves.
Breakfast was excellent, once again the staff were great. My husband and myself got married here almost 16 years ago and it still has the perfect country charm. Couldn't recommend it enough. I'm sure we will be back.
Just to add that you can join the coastal walk at the back of the hotel that runs right along the coast line. Spectacular views. The area is stunning with lots of walks and things to see and do.
Perfect!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank pedl0w
Reviewed June 20, 2014

|I was delighted with the peace and tranquillity of this hotel.The staff were friendly and welcoming and couldn't do enough for you. Everything was provided for your needs in the room and the bathroom was a delight! I thought the breakfast was exemplary-I even tasted the fresh honey-mmmm!
But I was delighted to be able to take my dog who was made as welcome as myself! He rewarded me by behaving beautifully.

Room Tip: The room I had was closer to the sea than I believed and because of the lovely weather the window wa...
1  Thank cheapandcheerfu2014l
Reviewed June 18, 2014

We stayed at the Marshall Meadows Hotel for the third time last weekend but this time we spent 3 nights not just one. All the staff were once again really welcoming and couldn't do enough for us. David took us around the grounds to show us what improvements they have already made and what they are planning over the next few years. The accommodation is comfortable and the food is excellent. We took our annual walk along the cliff top into Scotland which is less than a mile away. All in all a great place to stay if you like a nice quiet country hotel with good food and service.

1  Thank BMA_10
Reviewed June 8, 2014

I had read mixed reviews with regard to this hotel.... I am pleased to announce that my partner & I had a lovely overnight stay last night!
When we arrived the grounds & building looked stunning, the grounds smelt of wild garlic....on entry to the country house hotel - there was a strong smell, like that of an old peoples home... Maybe some plug in air freshener may be worthwhile.... It possibly something to do with the age of the properties or some of the old/antiques in the building..

Our room was clean & comfortable with a lovely unusual four poster bed. Room 12.. The hotel itself could do with some modernisation/updating, however it was not offensive, just old fashioned & dated.

The lounge & bar were both comfortable & inviting. The staff couldn't do anymore to make you happier.. Complimentary coffee & shortbread biscuits are served in the lounge.

The restaurant- WOW.. The food was fantastic! I strongly recommend the scallops starter & the Seafood platter for Two for main course... Drinks were not too badly priced, a bottle of prosecco £22, however a few of the residents were mocking the plastic wine coolers that resembled catheter bags from hospitals... The hotel is very oldy worldy so these bags didn't fit the scene too well.

Breakfast was perfect!
I will most definitely return to this lovely hotel.

For dinner bed & breakfast with drinks our bill amounted to £204 for one night.. I'm looking forward to returning to sample some more of the delicious cuisine provided by the well run restaurant.

Room Tip: Even if you do not stay the night, you must try this restaurant.
1  Thank Jo S
Reviewed May 22, 2014 via mobile

My partner had booked a romantic 3 night stay at this hotel for us! His booking was based on his knowledge of location and his attendance at a wedding 4 years ago! Expectations were high but within minutes of entering the hotel those expectations sadly came crashing down! Can!t fault the welcome by owner David and receptionist Tracy, We were given the key to our room which we struggled to open as key would not go fully into lock! Room was dated and bathroom was shocking! There were broken tiles under the sink, bath had been patched and the shower curtain was disgusting! It was solid with dirt at the bottom and was covered in mould! General cleanliness was not of a high standard! Paintwork was patchy! Television in room was tiny and bed was small too for a double! When we complained quietly and privately to owner David he told us the room had just been painted so he thought it was fine but did apologise for the shower curtain! He did offer us another room...... " his best in the hotel" which was a 4 poster bedroom in the annexe wing of hotel! The first thing that hit us was the foosty smell. Again cleanliness was an issue, grout between tiles was black and there was a thick layer of dust on top of the bed! Again room was very dated! We decided to leave at this point as we felt for the price we were paying did not reflect the standard offered in the hotel! I appreciate David did try to resolve the issues but he didn't appear to recognise some if the issues pointed out! Marshall Meadows needs a lot of money spent on it and I appreciate it's a work in progress but it doesn't excuse the dated and duty rooms we saw! We didn't eat in the hotel so can't comment on the food! Not sure where all the excellent reviews have come from as they seem to have been in a different hotel to us! I do not write negative reviews lightly but I was so disappointed and shocked with this hotel that I felt I had to! We won't be back and sadly I would not recommend it to anyone

• Stayed: May 2014
6  Thank gaelicgirlScotland
BerwickDavid, Owner at Marshall Meadows Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2014

Thankfully it is only very rarely that we receive such a negative review. Indeed only this week Marshall Meadows was awarded a Trip Advisor 2014 certificate of excellence. The hotel was also inspected by Visit England Quality in Tourism who had no hesitation in confirming our 3 star country house hotel status. We try incredibly hard to make our guests happy and comfortable. I can honestly say that I have never come accross such an extreme reaction to not just one bedroom, but also a four poster suite, which incidently is neither dusty nor smelly. Having said that, there are improvements that we can make and we are not complacent. I don't doubt that this lady was genuinely disappointed and we will of course have a full examination of all the points that she has raised.

Reviewed May 5, 2014

We stopped here for three nights and after our first meal the first night we booked the resturant for the next two nights. We would visit this hotel just for it's food as the meals we had here where one of the best meals we have ever had . The staff where very friendly and very helpful . Yes this is a 3 star hotel but the service you would get from a 5 star hotel .
We would recommend this hotel and would revisit this hotel again.
The room is what you pay for clean and comfy
Over all a excellent long weekend break

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Queens Head Hotel
Queens Head Hotel
#2 of 3 in Berwick upon Tweed
Tillmouth Park Country House Hotel
Tillmouth Park Country House Hot...
#1 of 2 in Cornhill on Tweed
Purdy Lodge
Purdy Lodge
#1 of 1 in Belford
Waren House Hotel
Waren House Hotel
#3 of 3 in Bamburgh

Been to Marshall Meadows Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!