We booked this hotel as part of a gift from our children and were not disappointed.
We were arriving late but phoned in advance to be offered a late meal or sandwiches but decided in the end to eat en-route instead.
When we arrived we were greeted by a very friendly and obliging owner who quickly checked us in and directed us to our room. The room was excellent with a very comfortable double bed and en-suite but it was big enough to include a settee and pouffe. We decided to have a few drinks in the bar after a long journey and was pleasantly surprised at the variety on display particularly the range of single malts! The drinks were not cheap but certainly not a rip-off by any means.
Breakfast was a real treat with toast, tea/coffee, cereal, fruit, juices and a choice of fry-up, kippers or eggs Benedict. All of which we enjoyed. The staff were all friendly and helpful and eager to please.
As it is right on the coast we decided to go for a walk up to Eyemouth along the coastal path, crossing the border into Scotland and did a bit of Dolphin Watching :-) . The views were stunning and well worth the effort and there is a bus at ten past the hour from Eyemouth that has a stop outside the hotel and continues on to Berwick.
On the Saturday evening there was a wedding party so we decided not to eat there in the evening but this didn't make too much noise or disturb our sleep.On the Sunday we had a wonderful meal in the hotel.
Ideally located for The Farne Islands, Holy Island, Berwick, Alnwick Castle, Bamburgh Castle and much more this hotel takes a lot of beating for location. Highly Recommended. Thanks for a wonderful stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Marshall Meadows is an authentic Georgian, 3 star country house Hotel, standing in around 15 acres of peaceful grounds with sea views. It is uniquely situated just outside the historic town of Berwick-Upon-Tweed only a stone's throw away from the A1 crossing point of the Scottish Border. It is, therefore, both the first and last hotel in England depending upon one's point of view. The hotel is believed to date from the mid 18th century and provides the perfect setting for a relaxing break, discovering the attractions of border country or for the more adventurous numerous coastal and inland walks and cycle routes, great golf courses and fishing on the river Tweed. The hotel comprise 19 letting rooms, in addition to a main bar, residents' lounge, restaurant, large function area and music room, conservatory and terrace overlooking a large well manicured front lawn. Entrance to the grounds is via a tree-lined driveway flanking a wooded stream. The rear of the hotel overlooks a farmyard, paddock and walled garden. The location allows easy access to the main town, Northumberland Coastal attractions such as Holy Island and Alnwick Castle, National Parkland and the Scottish Border Regions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Priceline, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA and Hotel.de so you can book your Marshall Meadows Country House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marshall Meadows Country Hotel
- Hotel Marshall Meadows Country