“A tranquil and charming experience.”

Marshall Meadows Country House Hotel
Reviewed June 26, 2013

This country house hotel is set just off the A1 about 3 miles north of Berwick. It is comfortable, welcoming and the food is good both at breakfast and dinner. It also has the advantage of being stately but unpretentious and only a few minutes walk form the coastal path which joins Scotland to the town of Berwick-on-Tweed. It is family run and has a pleasant "easy" atmosphere.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 20, 2013

Firstly this was an unsolicited booking without reading any reviews....I simply needed to be somewhere North of Alnwick and South of Edinburgh for business reasons and timings, so found the Marshall Meadows by default.

Long day and many miles I arrived at the hotel, lovely polite greeting, impressive grounds and a simply beautiful country house hotel in the Georgian style. I was given room 11, large spotlessly clean pleasant room that put a smile on your face to enter, flatscreen TV, tea/coffee etc, nice fragrance diffusers, large wardrobe, amazingly powerful, wonderful shower.....this place was getting better and better....

Booked restaurant for 19:45 told "not an exact science!" by the wonderful and worldwise owner.....I was a rather captive audience as not many alternatives to walk to.....was I going to be "ripped off"?......Hell no! food choices were ideal and quality fantastic.....truly great food....at the time of press, typical starters sub £4 mains circa £18 and a glass of wine £3.95 quality was worth it for sure....

After dinner, warm evening....so decided to walk the coast path that is right outside in pastureland......nobody at all else here for miles....so peaceful and a beautiful coast....sad to be alone really and wished my wife could share the beauty...remember this was a work night away at a hotel of convenience!!!!!!
hence the title of my review......I walked to the "Scottish Border" looking all the while at the ink blue sea and far away views of Holy Island and Bamborough castle....God if only work was like this daily!

Anyway before I wax too lyrical, the hotel is family owned having been bought a couple of years ago by the most lovely people. They have a mantra "Do something delightful" each day.....the night's sleep was great Wifi free, though I actually purposely left work alone that evening to get a "holiday" feeling and did....Breakfast, quality and choices....civilised and pleasant, staff lovely....checkout as expected and even lovely chats with gardener on way to car and another round of the rat race to come! Albeit this day with the broadest of smiles......

Proof of pudding, it was that good I will return with my wife and we will see Alnwick, the coast, Berwick and Edinburgh but stay here as our base! feel free to ask me further questions, but do book...you will enjoy!

Room Tip: I had room 11 however peeping at others as I passed to reception in the morning being cleaned they a...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I have just returned from a week end stay with David and Robert Hester at Marshall Country House Hotel. They are the owners of the hotel, and the key to this wonderful place is that you feel at home. There is a warm and relaxed feel about the place; that makes you comfortable enough to kick off your shoes, curl your feet under you on the sofa with a book in the guest lounge. From the moment we arrived we felt relaxed and welcome; the staff were so helpful and on hand; without being intrusive. The grounds were gorgeous and well maintained; a previous review had mentioned that the place was a bit worn and could do with some redecorating; but this is part of the charm. If you want perfect and pristine then don't go to a place which is over a 100 years old!
We stayed for 2 nights bed and breakfast; and had one dinner; breakfast was plentiful with locally sourced sausages etc as well as offering all the healthy options. Dinner was delicious, excellent quality of meat and beautifully presented. The shortbread literally melted in your mouth.
The hotel has a couple of bars, but the main one was cosy and again welcoming and relaxing. We spoke to other guests who all said the same thing; it is such a friendly and homely place.
The absolute core to this hotel is its staff; they are exemplary in everyway and I hope David and Robert appreciate the gems they have got. I have been lucky enough to stay in a couple of 5 star hotels where the staff have not come close to the warmth and standard at Marshall Meadows. It is the little details, such as looking online, with out being asked, to find the best deals on tickets for a local attraction. Nothing was too much trouble; and this started before the stay. I had a couple of small requests to make my partners stay a little more special; and my emails were answered promptly and nothing was any trouble.
As you can read I cannot praise this hotel highly enough; it is not perfect but it is as close as to it. I am looking forward to my next visit in hopefully the not too distant future.

Room Tip: .rooms overlooking garden are lovely and peaceful
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We had looked at various options in the area for our wedding, some with allegedly better pedigree but also an associated aura of snootiness... Once we visited and met David and the team the choice of Marshall Meadows was straightforward. As we live 200 miles away the help and attention we were afforded in planning things were invaluable and helped to make a perfect wedding day.

The staff here truly are superb and couldn't do more to make us and our guests welcome, even some of the more enthusiastic ones from up North... The catering was excellent and superbly presented, our guests are full of praise for the whole experience.

The place has charm and character throughout, as someone who is unfortunate enough to see many hotels worldwide with acres of chrome and plastic I'd happily exchange Marshall Meadows for any of them.

If you're considering Marshall Meadows for a get away or a function I'll happily give it my recommendation.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank IanH42
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Was here for a family wedding. Great choice from the bride and groom. From the moment we arrived we were well looked after by all the staff. A special mention to Dave who had to put up with rather boisterous Scottish celebrations! Room was clean and comfortable. Great view from our window of a peaceful setting of the gardens. Evening meal on the first night was faultless as was breakfast. Lots of choice.
Wedding day/night again faultless.. Beautifully decorated conservatory where ceremony was held and function hall equally gorgeous Meal lovely and glasses were never empty due to the attentive staff.. As a guest first class choice for a wedding venue.
Also lovely coastal walks and views.Would definitely consider going back here for another stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I have been staying at this Hotel for a number of years now whilst I was working in the area and if I was honest in the early days it was because it was convenient and there was little choice. However I can honestly say now it is because I actually look forward to it due to the enormous amount of changes that have taken place since the new owners took over.

Yes there are niggles, it is an old building that has lots of charm and character which in my opinion enhances the experience. What I will say is if you encounter anything you are not happy with, bring it ot the attention of the owners and they will put it right because believe me they care passionately about ensuring your stay is as wonderful as possible.

The food and hospitality in my opinion are second to none and the politeness of all members of staff makes for a very enjoyable stay.

I also recently booked a mini break for my partners parents and they have not stopped enthusing about the wonderful time they had and how they were made to feel special.

In summary, go with an open mind, you will not be dissapointed.

Room Tip: Stayed in most of them, my personal preference is room four.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 20, 2013

This property sums up all that is wrong with this review site.
A really excellent hotel who's owners try hard to please but some professional whingers sticking the boot in.
WHINGER 1
leaves his windows open and light on all night then complains of insect infestation
WHINGER 2
complains his bill is wrong, turns out it was his mistake but still leaves a bad review.
Several bad reviews dating back SIX years when owned by different people but still hanging over present owners.
This is a good hotel with polite, attentive staff which offers outstanding value for money.

TRIPADVISOR take down old, out of date and malicious reviews.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
19 mi away
Purdy Lodge
Purdy Lodge
#1 of 1 in Belford

Been to Marshall Meadows Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!