“Great visit”
Review of Paxton House

Paxton House
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: One of the finest examples of an 18th-century Palladian Country house in all of Britain. There are many activities at Paxton House to keep you busy for a whole day, including house tours, boat trips and net fishing on the River Tweed, tearoom and gift shop, extensive grounds and gardens, galleries and exhibitions. We also have different types of accommodation, including an apartment, a lodge and a caravan park if you wish to stay and enjoy Paxton House for longer.
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Beautiful house in lovely tranquil surroundings. Visit made special by clothing display on at the time.

1  Thank Trevor S
Louise M, Public Relations Manager at Paxton House, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to leave such a nice review. I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed our costume exhibition while it was on. We hope to see you again in the future. Best wishes.

There are newer reviews for Paxton House

Reviewed November 7, 2012

A very lovely place, not too big. Full of amazing furniture and paintings all of the same era. Very interesting.
The only criticism I have is that you are forced to have a guided tour and so go at the pace of the tour guide, which for me was far too quick. I was in a small party but I assume that if you were in a big party a lot of your questions would go unanswered, there wouldn't be enough time. My guide didn't know the answer to quite a few of our questions.
The cafe was very nice and the snacks were good. The main courses were a little unusual and were on the expensive side..
The gardens were not big but had some very nice borders. The park looked very good. There is a sign saying " be careful red squirrels crossing", sadly I never saw one.

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit. I'm sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your guided tour as much as you could have. We take great pride in our great guides, so I will certainly pass on your comments to them. The tea room likes to serve home cooked meals, often with a Scottish flavour, I'm pleased you enjoyed your food. We hope to see you again in the future, best wishes.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

We enjoyed a lovely day at Paxton House and gardens . The guided tour was brilliant, Richard our guide with his knowledge brought the place to life , it really is a different kind of tour....
The river walk along the banks of the River Tweed including the walk to the Chain Bridge was great, kingfisher, heron and buzzard sightings made the day complete. The stables cafe was very good , with a wide selection of dishes on offer . The fishing museums and art exhibitions were all interesting .

Well worth a visit...

1  Thank AndyHalifax

HI there, thank you for taking the time to leave us such a great review, we're delighted to hear you enjoyed your visit to Paxton so much, and took advantage of so many of the great things to see and do. I will certainly pass your praise on to Richard. We hope to see you again in the future. Best wishes.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

If you like historic houses, and want an enjoyable and well conducted visit, go to Paxton House. The people are vrey nice and welcoming and the guided tour which lasts about an hour is very well presented indeed. The guide we had was a fount of knowledge and a very patient chap.
There is a very nice shop, small galleries ( in addition to t he house which is linked to the National Galleries of Scotland) and lovely grounds. Well worth a vist!

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to leave us such a great review. I'm very pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit to Paxton so much, and that you had such a good guided tour. We hope to see you again in the future. Kind regards.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Nice house to visit and the walks round the grounds are very pleasant. Our guide was fantastic and provided a lot of interesting facts about the family and the house.

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to leave such a great review. I'm pleased to hear you experienced and enjoyed both the house and the grounds. We hope to see you again in the future. Best wishes.