“Room 4 1 Sallyport Berwick-on-Tweed”

and 1 more site!
The Captain's Quarters
Reviewed April 1, 2012

Lovely big room and big shower room, massive television and king size bed, we had a really comfortable stay. The staff were very helpful, particularly the lady who checked us in, as we hadn't booked in advance. Excellent breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 28, 2012

Had been booked into another BnB in town - it was dire - truly grim. Turned up at the Sallyport for dinner and found they had rooms. To die for. beautiful huge double bed, spotless bathroom, amazing shower, White fluffy bathrobes. I had a suite which, at £75 a night, seemed, pretty good value for something which, in London, would doubtless cost £200 plus.

Needless to say, I booked in immediately. Best night's sleep ever. Food was absolutely brilliant, service impeccable. Atmosphere very relaxed, including the lovely brown Labrador who saunters around.

Couldnt be happier I found the SALLYPORT. Will definitely be returning, it was an absolute delight. Cannot fault.

Reviewed February 12, 2012

We arrived for a February weekend break in the middle of busy saturday lunchtime, but were most courteously welcomed: we had a delicious fresh crab salad for lunch before being shown to a truly individualistic room : just what boutique hotels are all about, filmset,playful, luxurious,romantic, with all the media and shower room mod cons plus Working open fireplace. Brisk walk round the ramparts and bastions of Berwick, Excellent dinner in almost full brasserie with real guitar musician, snuggled down to dvd (supplied) (Judi Dench and Maggie Smith romantic poignant story) and went to sleep in comfy sleighbed with flickering firelight. Impeccably clean. Languid sunday morning breakfast,proper OJ, proper coffee, papers supplied.

Room Tip: Pay up for the big room with the grand fireplace: when did you last go to sleep to flickering wood f...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RnJS
Reviewed February 8, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel twice on business. both times I got a room at the top of the building which was spacious and pleasant. The bed and bathroom were clean and there was a bath with plenty of hat water. The water pressure was variable and so I avoided the shower. The room itself was large and had a decent sized TV plus a very nice Bose clock radio. The decor was a bit flowery for my tastes but the room was clean and well presented. The only down side of the room was the lack of a decent work desk.

Evening food was very good with generous portions. Breakfast menu is a bit limited but the portion size of smoked salmon & scrambled egg was very generous. I stayed during a quiet period so service was pretty good but the staff is very small and obviously gets overwhelmed at times. The restaurant is, overall very pleasant.

The bad points:
The owner is best described as "eccentric" and prone to taking the hump if criticised.
The large family dog is allowed to wander round the dining area. Did not bother me overly but equally I was not over keen on this.
The second time I stayed prices had jumped noticably making it relatively poor value.
As a business traveller, the lack of a desk was a bit of a hassle.
It was difficult to reach the room up a flight of narrow winding stairs. Difficult if you have a suitcase and are carrying a laptop. No assistance offered with bags.

Overall, the two stays I had were not unpleasant but the prices are a bit steep and the rather eccentric owner can be a bit offputting.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
6  Thank Drooper901
Reviewed February 6, 2012

I stayed at Sallyport 2 nights ago and it was an entirely pleasurable experience. I travel a lot - work and holidays and stay in lots of hotels and I'm a but fussy...
I walked in from nasty, wet weather to be greeted warmly by the owner and her team of staff who were charming and competent throughout our stay. There were four of us, in Berwick for a birthday party, and we enjoyed drinks, lunch, cocktails, bar snacks and breakfast. We especially liked the rooms, the scones, the haggis balls, the wonderful coloured lampshades, the singer, Sarah, the teapots...and I could go on. All great - and a particular thanks to the lovely Dan who looked after us perfectly.

Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PrincessBlair
Reviewed February 5, 2012

Having stayed before and had a memorable night away , i decided to book for my wife and i for a return visit.
Booked and had the room i wanted confirmed and arrived on the day at lunch time, the restaurant was very busy and check in was slightly confused due to all staff serving and thus unable to run us through the process. We were asked to return at 3 and happily had a dander around the town .
Retuning at 2 , we decided to have a bite to eat in the restaurant , i have to say this was the highlight of the stay, the goats cheese salad, was superb . We asked to check in after lunch to be told that the room we had booked had developed an electrical fault and were shown to another room, after spending a few minutes in the room my wife was unhappy as we had specifically asked for "Low Bells" and this was confirmed the night before and on the day by email,so i popped down to discuss this with the staff! i was told this room had been of for 3 nights and had no power, i said i will simply have my money back then and drive home, the lady nipped off to the speak to the owner asking me to go back to my room and wait, after much shouting and banging in the Low Bells rooms(it was opposite the room we were put in) there was a knock at the door and a different lady said your room is ready..!! Suddenly the electrical fault was fixed??? Any way, we check in and then things just started getting worse, the room was dirty, spider webs in corners and above the curtains, the "Luxury" toiletries promised on the web site were actually Radox from the local Co Op ! The bed sheets were of very poor quality and were dirty and had dog hair all over the top cover. the room itself had no obvious electrical fault as far as i could see and i tried every socket and switch. We had dinner, whice was good , but from a very small menu and we were the only people dining that night. ( Our waitress that night and waiter during the day were both brilliant)- we retuned to our room to watch TV about 8 ish and had to put up with the hooting and laughing of the owner and a friend drinking just down from our room until late. This could be what boutique hotels should be, its just so far from the mark now that i will never return. Such a shame as it held a very special place for my wife and i for so long , perhaps rose tinted glasses.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
55  Thank nastyGM
Reviewed January 1, 2012

Arrived on 30 Dec for two night stay

Initial room that we booked (£110 per night per room), had dirty bed sheets and and dirty throw on bed. Bathroom hadn't been cleaned, with hairs in the sink and I presume previous occupants toiletries left in the shower. Shower did work, although shower casing was broken.

Manageress was very helpful and moved us to another room. Lovely room, however a sewage like smell from the shower and shower pressure and temperature were variable.

Owner never spoke to us once, even though it was clear we were guests and got the impression she thought we should be grateful to be staying there. Some walls on staircases up to the rooms had dirty marks as did stair carpet.

A dog (belonged to the B&B I believe) was also free to roam in breakfast area on second morning.

Summary

Nice enough place, but not worth the high prices, no nice touches in rooms to reflect higher price. And it cant' back up its own hype on its website. Great breakfasts though, two young girls who worked breakfast were friendly.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't class Sallyport as anything other than average and it certainly doesn't provide a warm and welcoming atmosphere, which is a shame as had high hopes.

Room Tip: it's located very centrally, so on weekends,may be difficult to avoid traffic/people noise from...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple