“Lovely home cooked food and excellent service”
Review of The Fishers Arms

The Fishers Arms
Cuisines: British
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We popped in for a meal on Saturday night and can highly recommend The Fishers Arms. The service was great and really friendly, we were told that all of the food is home cooked to order, so if there was anything we weren't sure about on the menu we could ask and have it changed. Both the beer battered haddock and chips and the minted lamb cobbler were great, really tasty and big portions, and the bill was also extremely reasonable. The only thing I would say is that it was a wee bit chilly, but the warm reception we got more than made up for it!

Reviewed January 6, 2013

All the staff are very friendly as are the locals. We have now spent two New Years Eve's and had delicious food and extremely good company. For a local pub you cannot beat it.

1  Thank Yorkengland
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Good pub food, friendly staff. Place is a bit tired looking but don't let that put you off. Would go again.

Reviewed July 14, 2012

Saying that I need gluten free food and usually have to pick something like plain grilled food and jacket potatoes. Here they freshly cooked me excellent local haddock and chips in gluten free batter and concocted a super pudding.

Brilliant and it was such a treat. Husbands lamb cobbler got the thumbs up. Very reasonably priced too.

2  Thank jennyandmike
Reviewed December 31, 2011

I would like to draw your attention to a racist incident at the Fishers Arms in Horncliffe. I am of an ethnic minority origin and married to a Scottish lady. On Friday 19th November, my wife and I decided to go for a quick drink to The Fishers Arms. We arrived at approximately 8.00 pm and ordered some drinks. We were appalled at the bad language which the landlord allowed to be used by the darts team and this was further exacerbated my the term Scot's Git used in our presence. We finished our drinks and left. I visited the pub the next evening when I knew it would be quiet, to have a tactful word on the subject with the landlord. I was told that “Oh that's how they speak , you should not take offence at them” ITHINK NOT!!.

I reported the incident to the local licencing division of the council and was quite frankly appalled at their lack of action. The lady I spoke to had contacted the pub on the matter and her reply was that the council would not take any further action. On the basis of the foregoing we shall never return to the pub and as a consequence of this incident I will never recommend this establishment again

22  Thank DavidSpencer-Barry