“"Fish on Friday"”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Berwick on a wet and windy afternoon is not a place to linger and although it has so much more to offer than Alnwick, its aristocratic neighbour to the south, it was raining so we called in to the Leaping Salmon and took advantage of the 'fish on friday' deal.
It wasn't too bad but nothing to write home about and wife commented about flies in the ladie's loo.
Staff were optimistically enthusiastic about the place and suggest it deserves more support from the boys upstairs at head office.

1  Thank anagallis

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Given the various options in most towns we'll visit Wetherspoon as they always have a good selection of real ales and the food is usually hot and good value.

The Leaping Salmon however is another matter! The food was cold and messily placed on the plates and the quality very poor.

We will continue to use Wetherspoon in Edinburgh and Musselburgh but would NOT visit this place again - avoid it.

1  Thank Dalbuie
Reviewed September 14, 2013

A good choice of food that tasted fine, but the service was rather slow. Some guest beers sensibly priced.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

Good location, friendly staff and good cheap food as with a lot of Wetherspoons are. Ideal for anyone on a budget.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

I visited The Leaping Salmon twice last month with visitors of my family.We had opted to dine there as I had enjoyed previous experiences in the restaurant.Back then the food was affordable value.

Unfortunately it seems that the restaurant has went downhill.As we sat down to wait for our meal the waitress seemed to have trouble as she never came back after serving the food.(Isn't it a must in a restaurant's etiquette to ask "Is everything okay with your meal?".We noticed that the waiting staff were also very disorganised as when we were finished with the meal two different waiters past us by.

Eventually,when our plates were collected I was able to voice out my problems with the meal.The ribs I had ordered were luke-warm when they got to me.I have no idea how this could even occur..Perhaps the chef on duty was bad at time management as my partners chicken burger was sifted through..We pointed her attention to the burnt chicken inside the burger..It was BLACK.How can a chef knowingly place knowingly burnt chicken in a burger bun and serve it to a customer?I asked her to bring this to the attention of the chef and she let out a laugh.We waited 20 minutes before we worked out that she probably didn't care enough to tell the chef.No apology here.

The waitress seemed to be of the opinion that 'as the food is cheap you shouldn't expect quality'but from my previous experiences here I did.Won't be visiting here again.

3  Thank Sammy D