“Very nice B&B” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Number 4 Ravensdowne

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Berwick upon Tweed
Number 4 Ravensdowne
London, United Kingdom
“Very nice B&B”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2011

Lovely old stone building B&B on a quiet street in Berwick close to the town walls and a couple of minutes walk to the estuary/coast.

Bedroom - the double room we had was huge with a 4 poster bed. Very nicely furnished with bottled water in the fridge.

Bathroom - the en-suite was spacious too and also very clean.

Breakfast - was very nice with a great choice along with the daily papers.

The whole place was spotless and we felt was great value for money.

A visitor parking permit is given to you on arrival.

Would recommend staying here at this luxury end B&B.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2011

My partner an I decided to go for a quiet break to berwick upon tweed when we found a very respectable price for 4 Ravensdowne on the internet.

Upon our arrival we were in love with the place, it is simply a fabulous building with gorgeous rooms. everything about the place was picturesque (as their website portrays). Having taken a gamble on an internet deal we were very happy. We never saw much of the owners other than when we arrived and at breakfast, yet they seemed very friendly (breakfast was delicious too). Our room was simply stunning, as was the bathroom! (however, its difficult to shower when there is nowhere to hang the shower head!).

Berwick itself was also a lovely place to visit for the weekend. I would reccomend this place, however, we have since tried to book a room again directly but recieved no reply!

All the best.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
2 Thank walker-sm
Central Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2010

This is a beautifully decorated and furnished guest house in a quiet and pleasant area of Berwick near to the Elizabethan Ramparts. Entering the guest house is a bit like stepping back in time because of the wonderful period style.
Margaret is the lovely, hospitable owner who made us very welcome, she took us upstairs to our room..we had booked the twin because we prefer that, but were told that although it shared a bathroom with a double room she only let out one or the other, or as a family room because of the connecting door. On climbing a narrow curving staircase she stopped outside a door and she showed us our bathroom which was very large and just beautiful...then she led us up another 7 steps and about 10 feet across a landing and told us this was our room Ness Gate. I looked at her aghast and said she must be joking, I get up several times in the night and I didn't fancy stumbling down those stairs! she looked uncomfortable and said that we could have the use of both rooms Sand Gate being the double. I have some mobility problems but as I knew it would be difficult to find guest houses or hotels in Berwick with ground floor rooms I was prepared to put up with it for a couple of days, but to have to go across a landing and downstairs to a bathroom was an unpleasant surprise for me...they conveniently do not make people aware of this on their website, but as their other two rooms distinctly said en-suite one could be forgiven for assuming the SHARED bathroom would be at least between the rooms or in one or other of them. The rooms themselves were beautiful and very comfortable with a sofa in the double.
On their website they state~ 'you will love our king-sized four-poster beds' ~ I saw only one room with a four-poster. They say ~'Our flat screen TV's'~ in the connecting twin and double rooms that we had there was no sign of any flat screen TV's, in fact Margaret had to call for Alan to get a picture on the old TV in the double room, my hubby couldn't get a picture on the one in the twin but we didn't bother...then the key wouldn't work the twin room door and Margaret got Alan to fix that, she told him that the last guests had problem with the lock!?! She locked it and told us to use the door in the double room. Margaret also told us there was a key for our bathroom but we needn't lock it as nobody would go in...just us mugs I guess!!!
On their website they also mention rooms with complimentary wine~no sign of that either.

When I rang Alan to book the twin room, he explained the situation with the shared bathroom but made no mention of it being on another landing...I rang him 5 minutes later to double check we weren't sharing the bathroom with anyone and he assured me we wouldn't be. Perhaps if I'd told him I have mobility problems he might have told me, but I'll never know.

The twin room has two corner cupboards and, in our opinion one of which would be suitable for a small WC, I mentioned this to Margaret when we were leaving, telling her we loved staying apart from the bathroom situation, therefore we wouldn't be back but if she decided to put a WC in the twin room we'd happily return . She told me they had looked into putting in en-suites but it would spoil the rooms!
I peeked in the other two doubles whose doors were wide open, one of which had a four-poster and they both looked beautiful, so I wouldn't want couples put off booking but families need to be aware of the position of the bathroom for their room.
From now on if the word en-suite doesn't appear on guest house web sites I will be asking the question and I advise others to do so too, only have myself to blame for presuming and not asking.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
      Location
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Vee M
Berwick-a, Manager at Number 4 Ravensdowne, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us , to clarify , we never claim any rooms are suitable for mobility issues residents, we also clearly state the bathroom room is for the private use of the twin or double room (only one room ever let at one time) and sadly the bath room is down 6 steps, none of our rooms are on the ground floor and all rooms are upstairs.

we offer two suites that are both en suite, sadly we cannot add the wc you suggest to the twin room due to listed building laws
flat screen tv and free sat is now installed in all rooms, along with free wifi

we are sorry you did not enjoy your stay , as one of our first guest in the beginning of our bed & breakfast