“Entertainment Heaven”

The Maltings Theatre & Cinema
More attraction details
Owner description: The Maltings (Berwick) Trust is a Registered Charity trading as The Maltings Theatre & Cinema and Berwick Visual Arts. The Maltings is a "mixed-use" venue, presenting both live work (theatre, dance, music, comedy, and more), films & event broadcasts, classes, and visual arts exhibitions. The venue also includes the Stage Door Bar (a bohemian-style theatre bar) and Maltings Kitchen restaurant. Off-site facilities include two galleries in the town: the Granary Gallery and the Gymnasium Gallery.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed May 7, 2013

The Maltings has a very good theatre excellent for shows and cinema. The venue itself holds many things eg sunday farmer markets etc The seats are extremely comfortable and can always see the stage. The sound is very good in the auditorium and it has its own cafe and bar where you can pre order drinks or tea and coffee if there is a show on. The toilet facilities are also good there are plenty of them. Visit the Maltings even if it is just to see what entertainment is available but also have a coffee and a bite to eat as well.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

What a great place, I agree with previous reviews that The Maltings really is an asset to Berwick. A super atmosphere and homely, welcoming bar serving local real ale. Have enjoyed several productions and numerous cinema visits here - most recently The truth about psychopaths - was a great production, just a shame about the low attendance. A genuine asset, recommended!!

Reviewed April 20, 2013

The Maltings is THE true asset of Berwick as far as I'm concerned. From great productions and films, to the fabulous bar. Every time i visit Berwick I make sure I come here, even if it's just for a drink. Fabulous!

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Andrew Lawrence chose to shift the show from the large auditorium, where the audience of 100 would have been a bit sparsely spread, to the studio room next door. The atmosphere was excellent even if the audience took a while to adjust to his dark and self deprecating style of humour.
Anyway, our first time in the studio room and given the nature of the gig another great show at the Maltings. The bar had been revamped since our last visit and it certainly now makes for a good place to meet before a show.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Went along to see Beauty and the Beast at The Maltings Theatre, Berwick upon Tweed on Saturday 30th March 2013 evening performance, what a treat so much local talent was showcased in this production, we enjoyed every minute of it. The work that must of gone into this was amazing and the costumes and characters were superb, the live orchestra was the icing on the cake to compliment such a beautiful soundtrack from Disney.
During the interval our group visited the bar for some refreshment which is where the evening was somewhat spoilt slightly for me. My mother was feeling rather sleepy due to the heat in the theatre and asked me to order her a coffee to perk her up for the second half of the show. I was served by a female member of the bar staff who made it clearly inconvenient to serve me with a cup of coffee. We had rushed into the bar to avoid the busy period and to locate a table so it wasn't particularly crowded at the time, and awkwardly she got my coffee then proceeded to inform me that this should have been pre-ordered for the interval. I explained why I wanted it for my older mother and she very obviously wasn't interested and reluctantly served me with my other cold drink. I returned to our table feeling very upset especially since she went on to serve the next customer who she was familiar with in a cheery manner which couldn't be more different from my experience.
I feel that she talked to me in a very rude way and I was not to know about pre-ordering a coffee nor was there any signs around to tell me of this, anyway I had not planned for my mum to require this went entering the theatre earlier in the evening. I spend a lot of money in the Maltings over the year and feel as if this individual is letting down such an asset to the town, maybe some refresher training in customer service would be of benefit.

2  Thank LadyLynn759