“The worst service ever”

Sunnyhills Farm Shop & Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 10 Restaurants in Belford
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Sunnyhills Farm Shop is one of Northumberland's premier farm shops stocking the very best in locally produced and widely sourced foods, drinks and gifts, all with a warm Northumbrian welcome. We have a super childrens play area and outdoor toys with outside seating where little ones can wear off some pent up energy and where dogs are very welcome. We also have a fully licensed bistro & cafe with free Wi-Fi which caters for all meals throughout the day whether just a coffee and snack en route on the A1 or a meal with family and friends. We serve evening meals on a Friday and Saturday (last orders 8.45pm) and every night throughout July and August.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Visited here today and wish I hadn't bothered. Ordered 2 cups of tea and a piece of cake. Waited about 15 minutes for them to arrive and when they did there was only one tea. I told them I was short of a tea and then I saw two members of staff arguing behind the counter, presumably about the tea. A different member of staff then came over with the tea and an attitude. She accused us of not having ordered the tea , therefore it was our fault and wouldn't accept that maybe she had misheard ,and then accused me of getting angry when she was essentially calling me and my partner liars. Then to make the ordeal worse demanded payment for the said tea on the way out after again not accepting that she had in fact misheard our order. As I was leaving another customer stopped me and agreed with me that the service was dreadful.

3  Thank FionaB2158
TorSNorthumberland, Owner at Sunnyhills Farm Shop & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi there,

Further to your visit and review of our establishment, it would seem there are SIGNIFICANT discrepancies between your version of events and what actually happened during your visit.

When you approached the counter to place your order, my colleague unfortunately struggled to understand what you had said and thought you had only ordered 1 tea. You then swiftly walked away from the counter whilst your husband paid, therefore as there were clearly 2 people, and only 1 tea and 1 piece of cake, she repeated your order back to him and he agreed to what she said. When she brought the 1 tea that she thought you had ordered over to you, you were immediately aggressive and rude to her regarding the situation. Although a little taken aback by the fact she had just been spoken to appallingly, my colleague immediately returned to the counter to make the missing tea. I must say, there was no arguing between staff, they were actually discussing the fact your husband agreed to the order my colleague relayed to him. I am unsure as to why your husband would have agreed to the fact only 1 tea was ordered, or why when he was only charged for 1 tea he would not have mentioned something. With regards to the customer who approached you, he did agree that the wait was long and we are in agreement with this – a number of tables came in at the same time as yourself and unfortunately as with any establishment like ourselves, busy periods can mean slightly longer waits. What you fail to mention is that a number of other customers in the restaurant at the time actually checked with my member of staff that she was OK after your behaviour because you were shouting so loud the entire restaurant could hear you and the majority were horrified with your performance.
As per the majority of all our tripadvisor reviews, my staff are friendly, approachable and willing to help at all times and this situation would have been very quickly and easily rectified had it not have been for your rude, aggressive and quite frankly unacceptable attitude towards my colleague. As a result of said attitude, I would like to think we are in agreement that you will not be visiting our establishment in future.

Write a reviewReviews (418)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We stayed in Belford for two nights and booked a table for Saturday evening. As ever we use Tripadvisor to check out eateries before we go and the reviews about Sunnyhills were very good. We were very disappointed in the quality of the cooking . I had soup which was vegetable but really lacked much flavour although it was home cooked. My main was mushroom tagliatelle which was supposed to be served in a white wine cream sauce. In reality it was thick and glutinous and a light mushroom colour. Almost inedible but I ate half the dish out of politeness. My companion had a sweet spicy chilli chicken with noodles. She said that the sauce tasted good but the chicken fillet breast on top of the noodles was dried out and she ate very little of it. The portions were generous for both meals and the staff so lovely. Service good but we felt that the chef was trying to create 'fusion' which really hadn't worked because the cooking skills weren't adequate. Better to stick to a British menu. The burgers and fish dishes looked good. The farm shop is worth a visit especially if you like gin. Lots of different gins and gin products. A good selection of gifts too. We intend going back to buy things before we leave.

Hi there,

Many thanks for your review of your visit to Sunnyhills. I would like to apologise that you feel the food did not meet the standards you expected. I am very surprised to see the review as my staff do check back on each table at least twice during any evening meal and when my colleague checked on your table, you didn't bring it to our attention that there was an issue with any part of your meal. Had you have let us know at the time, we would have been more than happy to offer an alternative for you and your companion.

Many thanks

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Magnificent food, served by very nice staff. Nothing too much trouble Hake fillet, fish platter and haddock and chips all very fresh, large portions accompanied by excellent beer and great reasonably priced range of wines. Walkable back into the heart of the village. Very good indeed

Reviewed August 11, 2019

Fantastic Sunday lunch, and great service in the restaurant and farm shop. One of the best roast dinners out we’ve had in years. Thank you!

1  Thank Catriona F
Reviewed August 9, 2019

We stayed nearby and went there 3 times for breakfast which was well priced and of a really good quality. Well run and also offers lunch and dinner but we didn't get to sample these. Very friendly

Date of visit: July 2019