1,217 results
All reviews castle view room superior room four poster bed bar area dog friendly hotel salmon lovely hotel evening meal residents lounge sunday lunch both nights full english comfy bed kippers lovely room cooked breakfast short break
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Stayed for 3 might the other week , nice location , a short walk to the Castle, situated in a picturesque village .... carpark situated a short walk away (free for hotel guests) although parking on the road outside is easy enough if you are not too late in the day.

Our room was tasteful and classically decorated and fitted out , although small , but I guess that's what you get for booking the cheapest room , the other rooms from what I could see were more spacious .... hence command more money.

Free Wifi was available with good signal to the room , Breakfast & evening meal were all good ... although there are other place local to eat as well if you are staying for a few nights. If using the restaurant for an evening meal I would recommend booking , as it tended to get a little busy at times

The maids/housekeeping staff were very friendly and attentive, as were the waiting on staff .... as for the barstaff ... well they were a bit more hit and miss.

Oh and be aware that the Bar has a minimum purchase of £10 if you are using your card to pay (including debit) , a bit strange in this day and age of people carrying less cash, so don't get caught out.

And another thing I should mention is the place is dog friendly and there was sometimes a few in the bar .... so best avoid if you have a issue with dogs , & people who insist on calling their pets "Fur Baby"

Room tip: Don't go for the smallest room
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
vicbamburgh, General Manager at The Victoria Hotel, Bar & Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Phil C
Thank you for your review.
I am pleased you enjoyed your stay. Although you can park outside, having the car park is a benefit, as the village can become very busy, at certain times of the year. The rooms are priced to reflect the standard however your comments about the fitting are welcome. I will make the staff aware of your review, especially the housekeepers, as they are often overlooked. I am sorry you found the minimum payment strange however,as a guest you could have put the drinks on your room. We are a dog friendly hotel and this information is available on our web site.
If you should return to the area, I hope you would choose to stay with us again.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I had stayed at this hotel a long time ago when I came for a wedding , and I couldn’t remember much just that it was central location to the castle , beach , shops etc ... so me and my partner wanted a little get away for the Easter break and I booked this hotel I think in February as I thought it might get busy .. I booked a castle view room !

We got there on Saturday and it’s the most gorgeous chic hotel !! Lovely well designed decor .. the first feel when you walk through that door is homely !! And we checked in went to our room and it was number 42 ... it was just breath taking (cheesy I know) but the castle was just straight Infront , big 4 poster bed , big bathroom , sofas to sit and chill whilst looking at the castle or catching some rays which is what we done ! It was gorgeous... then even more pretty at night !

There is a restaurant next door called the pottered lobster that was beautiful we sat outfit and had lobster , steak and fizz !!! Perfect can’t wait to go back !!

We ate in the hotel on the night and the staff were lovely especially a man from I think he said originally New Jersey and his mum worked in the hotel to he was so helpful and polite ! He waited on us at breakfast too , that was also delicious we opted for a full English !

Overall an amazing stay and we cannot wait to come back again !!! We would have paid anything for that room and will be requesting next time we come.

Thanks again

Jessica & daryll

X

Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Dear Jessica M
Thank you for your review.
I am delighted you chose to stay with us again and plan a return visit. It is a good idea to book early, as the hotel can be busy and this avoids disappointment. The hotel is ideally located within the village, or if you wish to explore further afield, it makes an ideal base. The castle does dominate the skyline and as you point out, is particularly attractive, when lit at night. I appreciate your comments about the facilities and food and will make Chris aware of your review.
I look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Stayed here on 18th April for one night as a solo traveller.
Being still post-op I wasn't able to drive and so came by train and bus, all well until some time after I had arrived I realised that my purse was missing from my bag. I could bl

• Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank Sophie39

Dear Sophie39
Thank you for your review.
I am sorry to learn you were not enjoying the best of health, when you made the journey North and your holiday did not get off to a good start. However, as you have awarded us a 5 star review, I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.
Hopefully you will return in the future and I look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed April 16, 2019

We were pleasantly surprised by this hotel. It was smart, updated and modern without losing its charm. The staff were extremely friendly and welcoming. We had a lovely room with plenty of space which was spotlessly clean and a very comfortable bed. The food was delicious, both evening and breakfast. They welcomed our dogs warmly, which is so different from so many hotels and bars elsewhere.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Dear A V
Thank you for your review.
We are dog friendly and hopefully the dogs enjoyed their stay as much as you. I am delighted with your comments about the staff and hotel. It is pleasing to know, as a guest, you feel we have been able to retain the original charm.
If you decide to return to North Northumberland in the future, I hope you will visit us again.

Reviewed April 13, 2019 via mobile

We had a reasonable meal , not brilliant , but ok . The first real ale , pulled by Eileen (?) , was pulled with expertise , top marks . The second was pulled by a tall lanky lad , he left the beer 1” short of the rim , and when I asked him to top it up he merely gave it a cursory dribble , outside the head ! , leaving it very bubbly and dire !
I am an ex publican with many years experience .... this lad wouldn’t have lasted 10 minutes .
Shame , we shall retire to the Castle Inn in future.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Dear GKWALL,

Thanks for taking the time to write your review, it seems like you have quite a few bad experiences most places you go. We unfortunately do not have an employee by the name of Eileen so I cannot congratulate her on her pint pouring skills. I cannot actually see what your problem is and it is beyond me why you had to call someone lanky. From your experience of an EX publican you will know when pulling a pint of real ale these can become quite a lively pint so maybe the lad was actually pulling the pint and when it had settled he was going to actually top it up. Can I ask you did he refuse to top the pint up - no he did not. If you were not happy why not ask him to top up further like you already had and I am sure like the first time he would of topped up again. He was not rude and did as you asked so in my eyes I don't actually understand how he is the worst barman ever!?

I'm happy with all my staff that work for me, like most the reviews on here are - maybe if you were still a publican you would understand better I hope you enjoy The Castle Inn.