“Good Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bamburgh
Poynton, United Kingdom
“Good Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014

This is not the Hilton nor a Marriott but it is a good hotel in a lovely place.

We stayed for three nights last week and found the staff very friendly and helpful.

Breakfasts and lunch, particularly Sunday were excellent.

Consider this is an old hotel and not part of a huge chain. Bedrooms were fine and clean as was the bathroom. Assistance to find their own car park.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
Sunderland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014

This is a great hotel in the village of Bamburgh in the shadow of the castle and within walking distance of the widest beach I have ever seen - warning that is the North Sea and it can be very cold even in the summer.
The castle is amazing and the vista generally incredible, tea-rooms and little restaurants abound outside the hotel, it is just a great place to visit.
The hotel at least for us was brilliant - no lifts so I wonder how the older guests manage but our room up three flights of stairs was very well furnished - four poster bed and well designed bathroom.
The restaurant for both dinner and breakfast was very good and the staff were both friendly and professional. A great visit made even better by this great hotel.

Room Tip: Ask about access as there are no lifts and for dinner make a booking at busy times.
1 Thank Jimbo732
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014

Last Friday afternoon I called at the Victoria Bamburgh for a light snack, I had left home before my husband as he had to work late, and I couldn’t be bothered to cook just for myself. It was quite busy with other people enjoying their visit and refreshments and still having some work to complete, I ask the cheerful young lady at the bar when ordering my food, if I could possible use the Residents Lounge. She told me that was not a problem at all and would bring my Food and coffee through for me when it was ready. My husband and I have called at the Victoria in the past for food or just a drink, as it is the only pub in the village you can take your dog in. So it was a bonus that my dog could come with me too instead of leaving her in the car on a hot day.
I had ordered a Humus and Beetroot sandwich and coffee, the same young lady from the bar brought it to the lounge, beautifully presented on a slate. The humus was generously spread on both sides of very soft brown bread with lots of thinly sliced beetroot and plenty of rocket. The garnish could be mistaken for a small salad consisting of mixed salad leaves sliced scallions and halved cherries tomatoes served with a tasty dressing. Also there was some homemade coleslaw, the mayonnaise dressing was not a thick creamy one just right for the health conscious ones like myself. During my visit there the staff on reception Julie and Alex were extremely friendly and attentive, they kept checking to see if I needed anything like a top up of coffee. I found all the staff were very friendly indeed, in fact Alex obviously like dogs as he made a fuss of my dog and even brought her some dog biscuits. Not only was this sandwich very healthy but was filling and served by nice staff.
I have read some of the previous reviews and wonder were they at the same Victoria as I was, as I found the staff completely the opposite. Well done to the Chef for making a Healthy Sandwich and thank you to the staff for making me and our dog feel welcome. I will be back with my husband for the guilt free Humus and Beetroot Sandwich.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank lorraine m
Hitchin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

Have just returned from 3 nights at the Victoria Hotel and quite frankly found the experience disappointing.
On the plus side ,great location and helpful friendly staff and comfortable beds but the overall package was let down by tired decor,poor quality food both at breakfast and dinner ,shortage of staff and i gained the impression of hands OFF management .
Whosoever wrote the menu obviously did not produce the food as it sounded much better than it tasted or was presented
In the Hotel handbook I quote ,'on behalf of myself and all the team '. sums up the basic philosophy that is wrong as [and I speak as one who has spent a great number of years in Retail with Mercedes Benz ] that this should read as ''My team and I '' [thereby showing your team that you support them rather than the opposite.
To sum up, maybe my wife and I were unlucky to have such a poor experience but frankly our stay did not represent value for money .
As an aside we ate out for 2 of the nights and fared much better on menu quality and price .
We would return to the area but not I am afraid to the Victoria

Richmond, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014

The downstairs of the hotel is not too bad, although the reception area and the resident's lounge are somewhat dated. A little flexibility over check in time would have been welcome as would an offer of assistance with luggage. Food in the restaurant was good - not overpriced and served by helpful staff. Breakfast was particularly good with everything tasting freshly cooked.
Oh dear though. The upstairs of the hotel is quite simply dreadful. The corridors are very narrow and winding which would be fine if it were not for the dark brown paint on the walls, radiators and doors, making the hotel look like a Victorian B&B. The interior designer responsible needs sacking.
The bedroom was simply horrendous. Small, dark and dingy is how it is best described. Although a lovely sunny day outside, it was necessary to have the light on to read. On lifting the somewhat grubby net curtain, the view was directly onto windows opposite.
This hotel is supposed to be a three star hotel. It is not cheap. It is definitely the smallest room we have ever stayed in.
Quite a depressing experience which will not be repeated.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 18!
2 Thank Judy L
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014

Have just returned from a coach holiday here. Service from the Staff was friendly and helpful. The manager, Alex, was very actively involved with every aspect of taking care of the guests - nothing was too much trouble. Food was good, nicely cooked, my room was comfortable. I particularly appreciated the lighting in my room which not only let me see what I was doing but, unusually for a hotel, enabled me to read in the evening.

The hotel is centrally placed in the town which has some interesting features. It is also well situated for visiting the many attractions in the area.

Room Tip: If you are a disabled visitor you need a downstairs room. No lift and the stairs could be daunting
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014

My partner and I stayed in this hotel for 5 nights, as part of a coach party. The bedroom was on the 4 th floor with no lift. Food very good and linens excellent. Rooms however very dated and needed upgrading. The staff were very helpful. If you can look passed the decor a good hotel and base to explore the area.

Room Tip: Room 20 spacious
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bamburgh
Waren House Hotel
#5 of 5 in Alnwick
Eshott Hall
Eshott Hall
#1 of 1 in Eshott

Been to Victoria Hotel? Share your experiences!