“Okay for a stay”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bamburgh
Santa Monica, California
“Okay for a stay”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

This place is a bit dated. Our room was quite large. The bed was not very comfortable. The town is quite small but cute enough. The castle is quite good. If you are into birdwatching at all definitely give one of the excursions from Seahouses (just up the coast) a go!

I think I would try the place down the road if I found myself in the area again.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ayr2l8
vicbamburgh, General Manager at Victoria Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Ayr218,
Having read your review I feel that the only feedback you have commented on is that your bed was not very comfortable, had you made us aware of this at the time we would have endeavoured to put this right either by reallocating you a different room or changing the linen to make you more comfortable. I am sorry that you feel you would rather try another hotel if you were in the area again as I am sure the standard of rooms, furnishings and most importantly views cannot be competed with.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We got to the hotel and got parked directly outside which was a bonus as we were told the parking outside is very busy. A friendly gent named Alex checked us in and directed us to our room and took the paper order. A great start to our stay, we were in a room over looking the restaurant which is not the greatest of views but everything else was fine. The room was clean , warm and one of the most comfy beds I have slept in. The bar areas are very nice and were quite busy on the evenings which added to the atmosphere. The receipts had a little quirk of having a nickname of the member of staff our favourite was joey Essex ha. The only downside was the price we have stayed in hotels which offer more for less. I suppose with the hotel been placed where it is in bambrugh this is partly the reason for the price as the location is superb. All in all lovely staff an okay hotel a fan location and wonderful restaurant which I reviewed seperately

Room Tip: If you want a view you are going to pay for it unless you can get an upgrade
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Muriel234
Dear Muriel234,
Thank you for taking your time to write a review about the hotel. It does not surprise me that Alex did a great job on checking you in, in the many years I have worked with Alex he continues to go the extra mile and more importantly continues to deliver consistent excellent customer service. I am especially happy that you found our humour within the hotel to be tasteful and inoffensive as a happy workplace provides a happy environment. Thank you also for your kind comments regarding our restaurant, we strive for excellence both in the food and service we deliver. Really hope that you return and experience the views we have to offer in our Castle View rooms.
United Kingdom
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I cannot rate this hotel high enough. We visited twice on a visit to Bamburgh in April 2013. The food is fabulous both for adults and children. Good selection of home cooked food that is not outrageously priced. They don't mind if you go in straight from walking on the beach and the icing on the cake for us is that they welcome dogs in the bar and restaurant area. Parking a little tricky but there are plenty of spaces if you don't mind a sort walk. I imagine this is extremely busy in the summer.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Karen D,
How lovely it was for me to read your review on TripAdvisor. Thank you for your positive feedback it was great for me to feed this back to all departments. We have found that welcoming dogs in our public areas has worked positively for our business especially so in the winter months. Our kitchen team feel that we not only need to best in the market for adults, children often are the customers to please and I am delighted that you felt we did this. We are having a great start to the summer season as you predicted and hope to welcome you and your family back again.
Manchester, England
Reviewed June 27, 2013

At over £180 for a one night stay in the Victoria Hotel I looked forward to being spoiled on a rare night away from our young children.

Parking outside the hotel is tricky but the hotel's own car park just round the corner was handy as we arrived a little early and could leave the car there while we had lunch.

When we did check in and got to our room we were impressed with the contemporary decoration and the spacious bathroom. There were a few niggles though. Unfortunately the button didn't work on the jaccuzi bath so I couldn't take advantage of that. I couldn't work out how to switch the towel heater on in the bathroom to dry the towels for the morning and as it was a warm weekend I guess the heating wasn't set to come on. The hotel is an old building but the stair and corridor carpets were quite worn.

We had dinner in the restaurant downstairs in the evening and breakfast in the morning and the food was quick, well presented and good value. The staff were attentive and friendly both in the evening and at breakfast but just lacked that quality in presentation I would have expected. And we had to laugh at the ketchup and brown sauce being served in recycled mini jam jars! And when I asked for sweetner for my tea was told there was sugar on the table! To be fair, the lady did return with one sachet (for my whole pot of tea!).

I have to say the food at breakfast was superb - great selection at the buffet and in the cooked menu and generous portions too.

We took a great trip to the Farne Islands but ran out of time to visit the castle so will be returning for sure, but will try the Lord Crewe next time.

Room Tip: Overlooking the castle.
1 Thank BaliDreamer
Dear BaliDreamer,
Having read your review, I assume you stayed in one of our Castle View Rooms which we are extremely proud of. I am sorry that during your stay you were unable to benefit from the added extras we pride ourselves on offering. I was not aware during your stay that we had any issues with the Jacuzzi baths not being fully functional. I am very happy that you were happy with the food you were served, however, the lack in detail of your comments regarding presentation have left me without a response. Your comments regarding your humour at our actions to try and recycle and reduce wastage to help the environment has been noted but was done with the best intentions to become a more a eco-friendly company. We hope you take advantage and come and stay with us again.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed June 21, 2013

The hotel is just by the Bamburgh Castle. It's a small village hotel, gorgeous and romantic. Our room was a superior double for the price of a standard double!, because of an error on their part. But worked brilliantly for us ;). It was quite special n luxurious for a 3 star hotel. A good sized room with a four poster comfy bed, a 2 persons couch! and a big bathroom with a tub. It's clean n comfortable. The breakfast was impressive, with a special breakfast menu which was wholesome with ample choices, and its included in the room tariff. It's the perfect weekend away hotel.
The wifi doesn't really work in rooms, but does work in the lounge and reception area. On the whole a wonderful experience.

Dear maryissacs,
Thank you so much for such a lovely review. I am delighted that you found all aspects of what we offer at The Victoria Hotel to be impressive. We do not promote offering wifi in our bedrooms but only in the public areas of the hotel downstairs. Having recently been re-awarded 3 stars from The AA it is always a pleasure when guests confirm that we have rightly been awarded this accolade. I really hope you return to us to once a again so we can exceed your expectations.
Langdon hills
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Happened to end up in bamburgh and looking for a place to stay found the victoria. Modern lounge and bar, had some great food. Staying in the superior room looking at the sea, very nice cant fault it.

Dear Spikelangdonhills,
I am so pleased that you ended up in Bamburgh and chose to stay with us. Thank you for your lovely comments regarding the hotel and the amenities we offer. We very much hope you come and stay with us again.
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Most reviews I have posted on Tripadvisor have been positive but unfortunately, I must agree with Caz below following our recent stay. We only booked two nights and arrived about 2.40 pm. On entering the hotel I tried to check in and was told that check in time is 3pm and I would have to come back - no offer to look after luggage. On returning at around 4 we checked in successfully this time. I asked about WiFi and was told it was only available in a couple of rooms and downstairs.
On reaching our room along a gloomy dark grey/brown corridor we opened the door with a simple Yale lock. The room itself looked very gloomy also but that was because it opened onto the roof of the restaurant - no view whatsoever. The dark grey/brown paint and dark furniture added to the gloominess. The bathroom was very small and to reach the shower you had to walk in to the right of the toilet, close the door and shuffle round. There was a complete lack of minor maintenance e.g the cold tap top was missing and this was replaced with a blob of white silicone but not even smoothed off. There was a cracked tile to the window sill and the window frame needed a good clean as did the grouting to the shower.
BE AWARE - if you are in room 18 and need the loo in the night you are likely to hit your head on the wall mounted TV which stuck out about 300mm. This could easily have been fitted flush to the wall.
On the other hand, the bedding was spotlessly clean, as were the towels. The bed was very comfortable. Breakfast were basic but good and I would fully recommend the full English. Pity they could not have swept up the debris on the floor from the night before or the wiped all the sugar from the table.
On checking out, I was asked if everything was to our satisfaction. I mentioned some of the points above. The answer was - "I will pass it on". No sorry, no explanations, nothing.
For £95 I felt, as Caz did, that it was quite expensive for such a small gloomy and poorly maintained room. Some staff should take the opportunity to learn some customer service skills as good customer service can counteract all manner of problems.
I do NOT want to put people off visiting Bamburgh. It is a beautiful village in an even more beautiful part of the world. The beaches of soft white sand go on for miles and the area is full of attractions such as Bamburgh Castle, Farne Islands, Grace Darling Museum, Lindesfarne etc. I do understand that the hotel has some better rooms but would certainly think twice about making this hotel my first choice on my next visit.

Room Tip: Ask about one of the new rooms - if they are not booked you may obtain an upgrade.
1 Thank peterhlord
Dear pedro3uk,
Having read your profile I see you do like to comment on your visits to various establishments and I thank you for taking the time to do the same about your recent stay with us. All correspondences we send out to guests confirming reservations clearly outline check in time is 3pm onwards. I am pleased that when you returned at 4pm you were checked in successfully and were advised that wifi is only available in our public areas on the ground floor. I am disappointed that you were not satisfied with the room you were allocated. As I am sure you can appreciate the majority of problems we are faced with in a busy hotel can be rectified if reported at the time of discontent. I was very happy to read that the linen we provide was to your satisfaction and the bed was comfortable. I very much rate and appreciate websites such as TripAdvisor as they can provide useful and knowledgeable information about hotels to other travellers with a lack of knowledge of certain areas, I do feel, however, in this situation some comments may have been mirrored and if given the chance staff and management at The Victoria Hotel would have been able to rectify certain problems to the best of their ability and most certainly improved your stay. I hope my response meets your approval and you come back to visit us again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bamburgh
Waren House Hotel
#5 of 5 in Alnwick
Eshott Hall
Eshott Hall
#1 of 1 in Eshott

Been to Victoria Hotel? Share your experiences!