“Nice place”
Review of Victoria Hotel

Victoria Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bamburgh
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Happened to end up in bamburgh and looking for a place to stay found the victoria. Modern lounge and bar, had some great food. Staying in the superior room looking at the sea, very nice cant fault it.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
vicbamburgh, General Manager at Victoria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Dear Spikelangdonhills,
I am so pleased that you ended up in Bamburgh and chose to stay with us. Thank you for your lovely comments regarding the hotel and the amenities we offer. We very much hope you come and stay with us again.

There are newer reviews for Victoria Hotel

Reviewed June 8, 2013

Most reviews I have posted on Tripadvisor have been positive but unfortunately, I must agree with Caz below following our recent stay. We only booked two nights and arrived about 2.40 pm. On entering the hotel I tried to check in and was told that check in time is 3pm and I would have to come back - no offer to look after luggage. On returning at around 4 we checked in successfully this time. I asked about WiFi and was told it was only available in a couple of rooms and downstairs.
On reaching our room along a gloomy dark grey/brown corridor we opened the door with a simple Yale lock. The room itself looked very gloomy also but that was because it opened onto the roof of the restaurant - no view whatsoever. The dark grey/brown paint and dark furniture added to the gloominess. The bathroom was very small and to reach the shower you had to walk in to the right of the toilet, close the door and shuffle round. There was a complete lack of minor maintenance e.g the cold tap top was missing and this was replaced with a blob of white silicone but not even smoothed off. There was a cracked tile to the window sill and the window frame needed a good clean as did the grouting to the shower.
BE AWARE - if you are in room 18 and need the loo in the night you are likely to hit your head on the wall mounted TV which stuck out about 300mm. This could easily have been fitted flush to the wall.
On the other hand, the bedding was spotlessly clean, as were the towels. The bed was very comfortable. Breakfast were basic but good and I would fully recommend the full English. Pity they could not have swept up the debris on the floor from the night before or the wiped all the sugar from the table.
On checking out, I was asked if everything was to our satisfaction. I mentioned some of the points above. The answer was - "I will pass it on". No sorry, no explanations, nothing.
For £95 I felt, as Caz did, that it was quite expensive for such a small gloomy and poorly maintained room. Some staff should take the opportunity to learn some customer service skills as good customer service can counteract all manner of problems.
I do NOT want to put people off visiting Bamburgh. It is a beautiful village in an even more beautiful part of the world. The beaches of soft white sand go on for miles and the area is full of attractions such as Bamburgh Castle, Farne Islands, Grace Darling Museum, Lindesfarne etc. I do understand that the hotel has some better rooms but would certainly think twice about making this hotel my first choice on my next visit.

Room Tip: Ask about one of the new rooms - if they are not booked you may obtain an upgrade.
1  Thank peterhlord

Dear pedro3uk,
Having read your profile I see you do like to comment on your visits to various establishments and I thank you for taking the time to do the same about your recent stay with us. All correspondences we send out to guests confirming reservations clearly outline check in time is 3pm onwards. I am pleased that when you returned at 4pm you were checked in successfully and were advised that wifi is only available in our public areas on the ground floor. I am disappointed that you were not satisfied with the room you were allocated. As I am sure you can appreciate the majority of problems we are faced with in a busy hotel can be rectified if reported at the time of discontent. I was very happy to read that the linen we provide was to your satisfaction and the bed was comfortable. I very much rate and appreciate websites such as TripAdvisor as they can provide useful and knowledgeable information about hotels to other travellers with a lack of knowledge of certain areas, I do feel, however, in this situation some comments may have been mirrored and if given the chance staff and management at The Victoria Hotel would have been able to rectify certain problems to the best of their ability and most certainly improved your stay. I hope my response meets your approval and you come back to visit us again.

Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

I have recently returned from a one night stay in the Victoria Hotel, the room rate was 95 pound for one night including breakfast , the hotel was a very average hotel and definitely not worth 95 pound a night! Our room was very small and basic, the rooms could have been cleaner and more care taken to detail, the lock on the bathroom door has been taken off so there was a hole in the door! The tissue box was ripped and our double bed was two singles pushed together!
The breakfast was nice, the service was not perfect. All in all hotel is in a good location but the rooms are definitely not worth the money this hotel asks for, very basic.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank caz12345678

Dear caz12345678,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am very sorry that you did not feel your room was worth the price we charge. Some of the rooms that we have in the hotel have what we call in the industry 'zip and link beds', meaning that the beds can be either separate as a twin or zipped together as a larger double. Over the years these have been tried and tested and generally on the whole guests have been happy with these beds as larger doubles. I am sorry that you found this to be unsatisfactory, had you made us aware of your discontent at the time we would have done our very best to rectify this by offering to move you rooms. I do hope that this small issue has not put you off coming back to Bamburgh and staying with us.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Hotel staff welcoming and friendly. Our room was on the first floor, sadly we did not have views of the castle but it was spacious and comfortable and clean. Ate a meal here in the evening which was good and breakfast was good also. Staff very helpful.

Room Tip: If you want a view of the castle I suggest you specify when booking.

Dear fairynuff64,
I am delighted you enjoyed your recent stay at The Victoria Hotel. It is always a pleasure to be able to show our staff such positive feedback from guests. We pride ourselves on going the extra mile for our guests as we truly believe this makes our guests want to return time and time again. Thanks again and we hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

A very relaxed and enjoyable three night stay. The room was comfortable, very clean and warm. Excellent choice of food for breakfast and dinner. Beer was excellent and the staff were very accommodating. I applaud the Victoria for allowing dog owners to take their pets on holiday with them. Other hotels, pubs and tearooms are missing a trick because it was very evident that dog owners were not afraid to spend money, money that these establishments were missing out on, only the Victoria was prospering. I look forward to returning to the Victoria and would have no hesitation in recommending the Victoria to family or friends.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Steve N,
What a pleasure it was to read your review. Being in the heart of Bamburgh and the village being extremely popular with walkers we took the decision many years ago to welcome dogs and their well behaved owners in the hotel! Not only do we allow dogs in the bar area we also allow dogs to stay in the bedrooms. We have found that over the years this has very much worked in our favour as we are the only establishment in the village to welcome dogs and I am pleased you felt this was the case. We very much hope to see you again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

My partner and I decided to stay the night in Bamburgh, we opted for the Victoria Hotel. From the outside the property has so much potential however once inside the decor was a bit tired looking!! Our room was very small and again the decor looked a bit battered. After having a very poor meal in the restaurant (portion size and quality of ingredients which we fed back to the waiting staff) we went back to our room only for it to be very noisy due to fans etc. My partner complained and we were moved to a much better room.

Our stay wasn't very relaxing as we felt every experience at the hotel (food/room) etc were not up to our expectations.

It was very disappointing, however with more care taken of their rooms and the overall hotel and an improvement on their restaurant menu (preferably using locally sourced products) this poor hotel could be transformed into a really great place in an amazing part of the country!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Dug1978,
Thank you for your recent review. I am always disappointed to read such reviews where we have not delivered what our customers expect. I am pleased we were able to relocate you to a better room. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your meal in our restaurant. We always take feedback very seriously as this is the only way as a business we can offer exactly what our customers would like. Since your last stay we have introduced a new a la carte menu which has been well received by our guests. We support a wide range of local suppliers and where possible use their produce on our menus. For example Bamburgh Bangers, Craster Kippers, Sunny Hill's of Belford to name but a few. I hope you consider returning to the hotel and give us the opportunity to show you how good this hotel can be.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

I booked this hotel late, looking for a hotel within 2 hours of Edinburgh. I thought that as it was shown as a 3* and part of a chain I was onto a winner for £105 b&b for two of us. the pictures looked good and reviews were reflective of a 3*. The hotel room we got ( room 20) I think is a family room as it had a small double bed, a single bed and a sofa bed.The layout was awful and I reckon we were lucky there was just the two of us - no way could this room be shared! The hotel decor was brown and more brown and it had a really run down dirty feel about it. The bathroom was smelly, I think it was the stale shower curtain. The sofa which you had to use to watch the tv was done, dipping in the middle and it too had a bit of an odour. the beds were clean though and there was plenty of towels.The breakfast was good. Would I stay here again - no, not unless there was a revamp.

Dear jldhoskins,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your 'late minute booking'. The room you were allocated is one of our most requested standard doubles in the hotel. As you quite rightly pointed out it does have a single bed in meaning that we can sell this as a small family room. In the many years of working and managing this hotel, this is the first time I have received a complaint about this room. I do apologise that you felt the room had a dirty feel, had this been raised at the time I would have been able to arrange either a different room or had the room re-serviced. Each year in January we carry out maintenance when the hotel is closed, this often is painting and decorating certain rooms in need of it. I will certainly be looking into organising room 20 to be on the to do list for January if not sooner. I do hope that you will consider returning to the hotel, should you wish to do so, please contact me directly at the hotel.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bamburgh
Waren House Hotel
#3 of 5 in Alnwick
Eshott Hall
Eshott Hall
#1 of 1 in Eshott

Been to Victoria Hotel? Share your experiences!