“Below average but could be great”
Review of Victoria Hotel

and 1 more site!
Victoria Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bamburgh
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Below average but could be great”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

My partner and I decided to stay the night in Bamburgh, we opted for the Victoria Hotel. From the outside the property has so much potential however once inside the decor was a bit tired looking!! Our room was very small and again the decor looked a bit battered. After having a very poor meal in the restaurant (portion size and quality of ingredients which we fed back to the waiting staff) we went back to our room only for it to be very noisy due to fans etc. My partner complained and we were moved to a much better room.

Our stay wasn't very relaxing as we felt every experience at the hotel (food/room) etc were not up to our expectations.

It was very disappointing, however with more care taken of their rooms and the overall hotel and an improvement on their restaurant menu (preferably using locally sourced products) this poor hotel could be transformed into a really great place in an amazing part of the country!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
vicbamburgh, General Manager at Victoria Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Dug1978,
Thank you for your recent review. I am always disappointed to read such reviews where we have not delivered what our customers expect. I am pleased we were able to relocate you to a better room. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your meal in our restaurant. We always take feedback very seriously as this is the only way as a business we can offer exactly what our customers would like. Since your last stay we have introduced a new a la carte menu which has been well received by our guests. We support a wide range of local suppliers and where possible use their produce on our menus. For example Bamburgh Bangers, Craster Kippers, Sunny Hill's of Belford to name but a few. I hope you consider returning to the hotel and give us the opportunity to show you how good this hotel can be.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I booked this hotel late, looking for a hotel within 2 hours of Edinburgh. I thought that as it was shown as a 3* and part of a chain I was onto a winner for £105 b&b for two of us. the pictures looked good and reviews were reflective of a 3*. The hotel room we got ( room 20) I think is a family room as it had a small double bed, a single bed and a sofa bed.The layout was awful and I reckon we were lucky there was just the two of us - no way could this room be shared! The hotel decor was brown and more brown and it had a really run down dirty feel about it. The bathroom was smelly, I think it was the stale shower curtain. The sofa which you had to use to watch the tv was done, dipping in the middle and it too had a bit of an odour. the beds were clean though and there was plenty of towels.The breakfast was good. Would I stay here again - no, not unless there was a revamp.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear jldhoskins,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your 'late minute booking'. The room you were allocated is one of our most requested standard doubles in the hotel. As you quite rightly pointed out it does have a single bed in meaning that we can sell this as a small family room. In the many years of working and managing this hotel, this is the first time I have received a complaint about this room. I do apologise that you felt the room had a dirty feel, had this been raised at the time I would have been able to arrange either a different room or had the room re-serviced. Each year in January we carry out maintenance when the hotel is closed, this often is painting and decorating certain rooms in need of it. I will certainly be looking into organising room 20 to be on the to do list for January if not sooner. I do hope that you will consider returning to the hotel, should you wish to do so, please contact me directly at the hotel.
Durham
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I telephoned the Victoria to ask about the types of room, a pleasant chap from the bar answered and said no one was available to deal with my query, he took my name and number and promised someone would call me back as soon as someone was available. they promptly did return my call, they were most helpful in advising which room to book. We had a fabulous stay in a Superior room (room 32) which did not disappoint. (see pics) Breakfast was Amazing with a choice of cereal, juice, fresh fruit etc etc PLUS a large selection of cooked items to order from the menu. I opted for the Kippers which were Absolutely Gorgeous, my partner opting for the Traditional Full Breakfast which he tells me was also very nice. A beautiful hotel, well recommended from the welcome arrival, comfortable luxury room with a good nights sleep and fabulous food with friendly staff. Thank you soo much to everyone at the Victoria Hotel.

Room Tip: We had a quiet Superior Room 32 at the back of the hotel which looked across fields.
Dear stayinbritain,
Wow, it was a real pleasure to read such a lovely review regarding your recent stay. I am very pleased that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay. We are very proud of the food we serve and in particular the breakfast we serve often list high on guests favourite parts of their stay. We hope you return to Bamburgh and stay with us again. Since your last stay we have added Smoked Haddock to our breakfast menu which I am sure you would very much enjoy, thanks again.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 31, 2013

The best thing about this hotel was the location as Bamburgh is a stunning area.Our room (no 1) was small and cramped and did not live up to the pics on website, there was sprays of white paint on bathroom floor and situated right outside of window was a very noisy air con unit and kitchen extractor fan which even with the window and curtain closed was still very noisy. Upon complaining to reception i was told that this was 'a working hotel' , we were then giving another much quieter room. We had opted for the dinner bed and breakfast package (£140) we were expecting good things from brassiere. We got the mixed platter for 2 to start which for £13 did not offer great value for money or was it very substantial for 2 people. For main I opted for the rack of lamb. To say that the portion size was ridiculous would be and understatement . 3 pieces of lamb about the size of a £2 coin ,most of which was fat, 3 pieces of broccoli , and a small scoop of mashed potato and jus , and for £16.95 was outrageous. I brought the matter up with waiter who agreed portion was small, and discounted wine from bill.My partner had the chicken with skinny fries, but what came where blatantly thick cut oven chips. We were both so huffed at the service we had received we never bothered with breakfast and left 1st thing next day. I certainly won't be going back or recommending this hotel to anybody.

Dear mrhotdogsforsale,
Thank you for taking your time to write a review about your recent stay. After reading your review I spoke to the relevant heads of department to gather more information regarding the points you raised. It is my understanding that upon receiving your complaint about your room we very quickly offered you a complementary upgrade to a Superior Room which you accepted. With regards to your comments about your meal, I am sorry that you did not feel that it was good value for money. You raised this point with the restaurant manager at the time and in your own words he agreed and a gesture of good will gave you a complementary bottle of wine. It saddens me that because of these two incidents you felt 'huffed' and did not want to stay for breakfast. I would have been more than happy to discuss this in more detail with you at checkout however you left without making me aware that you were unsatisfied with the way in which your complaints were dealt with. I am sorry that you feel you would not return to our hotel as we can and do surpass customers expectations more often than not.
Buena Vista, Colorado
Reviewed May 29, 2013

The hotel makes a very good impression as you enter; it looks in character and well maintained. Similary we were warmly greeted at the desk and made to feel welcome, even though we were "walk-ins." All service was impeccable throughout our stay. The restaurant service was also excellent and the menu and food as well.
Our room was on the second floor, up two full flights of stairs, no lift. The staircase is very narrow and difficult to manage with suitcases, but the desk manager did help with our bags. The room was kind of funky in a nice way, in a dormer under the sloping roof with minimal space, except for a sitting area in the dormer itself. The bathroom was ensuite in an adjacent dormer and spacious; towels were first rate. The night was cold, windy, and raining, and the wind blew through the window casings. When we got up in the morning the room temperature was 56 degrees F, even though the heat was on. But the bed was good and the duvet was thick; we were warm and confortable. We slept well.
We enjoyed our stay and would stay again, but ask for a first floor room.

Room Tip: There is no lift. If stairs are an issue, talk to the desk. Be prepared for a cool room.
1 Thank Matt33332
Dear Matt333332,
Many thanks for your recent review on your stay at The Victoria Hotel. I am delighted that you thought the all aspects of the service you received were excellent. I am sorry that you experienced problems with the heating in your room. We always aim to resolve any problems promptly and efficiently and I am pleased that this minor problem has not deterred you from returning to the hotel again. We hope to see you both again very soon.
Newcastle
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My boyfriend booked this hotel as a valentines day surprise for me and I couldn't have wished for anything more beautiful. Our room was spotlessly clean, well presented with a 4 poster bed and over-all perfect. The open log fire by the bar is also a gorgeous addition to this hotel. The location of the hotel is beautiful but quiet, with just a few pubs, small shops and walking distance from Bamburgh castle there isn't much else to offer. Only down side is I personally think the hotel is pretty overpriced with both food and rooms but would still recommend for a one night romantic get-away.

• Stayed February 2013
vicbamburgh, General Manager at Victoria Hotel, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review regarding your stay with us, it is lovely to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed Bamburgh as a whole.
I am sorry that you feel we are overpriced, as I am sure you are aware premium rates apply at the most popular times of the year ie valentines day, we do however have offers runnnig from time to time through out the year so please keep an eye on our website and you may be able to get yourself a bargain.
We hope to welcome you back sometime soon!
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 23, 2013

First the good points- the location of this hotel is excellent for exploring this part of Northumbria and we loved being in Bamburgh and enjoyed our evening walk round the village. The twin room was quite small, but the beds were very comfy. The bathroom and shower were fine. Fresh towels each day and a heated towel rail. We were able to control how we wanted the room heated, which was good. It was peaceful at night and we slept well.
The room was rather old fashioned in appearance,and there were some unpleasant looking stains on the left hand curtain! Lighting was adequate though and the TV was a sensible size and worked OK.
I felt the breakfasts could be improved with fairly small adjustments. I really don't expect to see tinned mandarin oranges and grapefruits in a hotel nowadays. The toast was sometimes what Delia Smith called 'wangy'! I asked for scrambled eggs one morning and was completely overfaced with the size of the portion. I really prefer to choose my own amounts (buffet style), but realise that isn't always possible. The food is not cooked to order- it arrived too quickly for that to be the case.
I felt the staff rather lacked direction. They seemed a bit harassed and no-one seemed in overall charge. A smile and a pleasant comment asking how we had enjoyed our day (which only happened once during our stay) would have made all the difference to how I felt about it. A smile costs nothing as the cliche has it.
It wasn't very bad, but I can't give it any higher review rating. I don't think we'd choose to go back, as it wasn't that cheap.
The bar area is definitely quite scruffy and although I don't mind dogs, I did feel that they should be restricted to a particular area. I just felt it wasn't especially clean.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Blippo
vicbamburgh, General Manager at Victoria Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear Blippo,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review stay with us. Firstly I could not agree more that our hotel is in a prime location for exploring Northumberland. I'm pleased you found our beds to be comfortable but not impressed to hear that you found stains on the curtain. They have since been taken down and sent to the dry cleaners. Further to your comments regarding breakfast we have tried and tested the buffet style breakfast service but with serving breakfast over a 2 hour period we feel that with doing this the quality of the food is not the same as food to order, that is why we do, do food to order. With your comments towards dog they are restricted to just the bar area and not allowed in the restaurant as we know how some customers feel. I hope you do reconsider in giving us the opportunity of yourself staying again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bamburgh
Waren House Hotel
#5 of 5 in Alnwick
Eshott Hall
Eshott Hall
#1 of 1 in Eshott

Been to Victoria Hotel? Share your experiences!