“Our Stay in Bamburgh at The Victoria Hotel”
Review of Victoria Hotel

Victoria Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bamburgh
Reviewed July 28, 2012

I just wanted to thank all the staff at The Victoria Hotel,for the most perfect stay. Our room at the 'top of the house' so to speak, The Castle View Room,was absolutely stunning and the most perfect end to our visit 'up north'!!!

My new husband was thrilled to bits,gobsmacked I think is the word, as we walked through the door into the bedroom and saw two patio doors with nets, facing us - it's a brilliant ploy, as guests will immediately be drawn to the closed net curtains and as they open them, they will be rewarded with a fantastic prize, the view!!!!! It took our breath away.

We went for his 40th, and my only regret is that I'd not booked a longer stay, Bamburgh Castle was on full view from the balcony window and the surrounding areas were so picture perfect as well - I suggest you take some binoculars with you as there is so much to see from the top of the house!!!!!

The Victoria Brasserie was where we had our evening meal and the food was simply stunning. Tasty, beautifully presented, in very quirky and imaginative ways - which I love, and the staff working in the restaurant couldn't have been more helpful and very cheery. They even presented us with glasses of champagne as we'd just been married.

I passed on my compliments to the chef and the waiter made a point of coming back to me to tell me the chef was pleased I'd said something - makes all the difference I think when you work hard behind a closed door and don't get to see the reaction of your diners. Well thanks Mr Chef, I've even attempted the make the pea soup since we got back - no where near as tasty as yours but it shut Craig up for 20 minutes while he ate it haha!!!! So thanks for the coriander tip.

It was a wonderful stay and one we will remember for ever as it was perfection. You never know, I might be booking the Castle Room for our one year anniversary next year - unless Craig decides to surprise me and book us in at your hotel haha!!!

Thanks again for a wonderful stay, I can honestly say, it made our trip
lots of love
Angie Lawrence (my new name!!!)
Leeds

Room Tip: Just book well in advance if you want that Castle Room for a special occasion as I can imagine it wo...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ajgajl
There are newer reviews for Victoria Hotel

Reviewed July 24, 2012

Stayed here for three nights this been our third time at the Victoria. Bamburgh is a great location with quite a lot to do in the local area. The staff at the hotel all seem friendly and seem to do a good job. The new manger is a nice guy very professional in his approach to the hotel. I can see the Victoria improving no end to what it has been in the past. Rooms are good, clean with everything you need, wouldn't mind having a fridge though. If I had one criticism it would have to be that the room was very hot. Prices for rooms I think are fair I have paid over double these prices for hotels all over the uk. Just got back from the Victoria today and I am already booking my next stay.
Regards Mr Parkinson

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Stayed here one night, and it wasn't terrible, but it was disappointing. Has a veneer of 'boutique hotel' but no more than that, and is seriously overpriced. On the plus side, the restaurant was pretty good.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 20, 2012

Stayed for two nights in July with my wife. Paid £120 per night (for the room) including breakfast.

Bamburgh is a beautiful, quiet village in Northumbria, nestling in the shadow of the majestic Bamburgh Castle.

There is not a great deal of choice of hotel in Bamburgh (The Lord Crewe being one of the others), and the Victoria looks very good on it's website. Unfortunately reality does not match the expectation.

The room was ok (bearing in mind that this is a 3 star hotel - even at £120 a night !) - the poor breakfast and unhelpful attitude of the staff are what stands out. When you're paying that sort of money, you expect a high standard. The breakfast staff seemed unhappy and were very unhelpful. Despite asking us twice, we still got coffee rather than tea. The eggs were cold. The bacon was limp and undercooked. Poached eggs without toast anyone ? Coffee served in a tea pot ? Overall, there was no interest in looking after the customer.

The hotel bar was similar - the bar staff chatting amongst themselves rather that serving the customers. Again - a miserable experience.

We think that overall, the best judge of a hotel is to ask yourself the question - would you recommend this hotel to a friend ? The answer is definitely NOT for the Victoria Hotel. Try somewhere else.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2012

When we entered our castle view room, it was gorgeous.
Unfortunately, there was no z-bed or cot, as requested.
Housekeeping was a bit haphazard, as towels, shower gel and toilet rolls were not replaced.
The Hospitality Tray was not replenished.
Breakfast on Day 1 was so chaotic, with small portions and inadequate crockery available. We had room service after that experience. Only problem with room service, is that the carpets are not hoovered, nor are the crumbs swept up from the table.

Room Tip: Choose a Castle View Room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Seemed a very nice place and was - BUT :-
Stayed for 1 night was given the family room - on opening the door to our room we were greeted by a huge cobweb hanging across the ceiling- Rome was not built in a day nor was this cobweb.
The beds were very comfortable and clean BUT lots more cobwebs hanging from below the radiator in the room - carpets could really do with a steam clean (as could all the carpets in the public areas. Bath was very dangerous to stand and have a shower very very slippery. The soap dish on the shower looked like it had not been cleaned in months. Bar staff were great.
Breakfast next morning was somewhat a scene from Faulty Towers (after being advised to leave breakfast till 9am as they had a coach party in !!), we entered the resturant to find not many people eating great we thought, many tables were not cleared of dirty dishes, Our main order was taken while we ate toast and cereal. cereal bowls ran out not enough for us (3). Confusion started on the next table when the staff brought out the main meals only to find there was nowhere to put them down as they had not cleared the dirty dishes from the cereals and toast plates. Our main breakfast was brought out (we cleared our own dishes ready for it).
Very sparse Scottish full breakfast could be far better. We requested more toast (2 per person) this was quick in coming out but the toast rack did not fit the plate so it kept falling over !! NO butter we had to find the waiter to ask for some. sadly there really was no organisation in the dining room.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 8, 2012

A character hotel with a unique atmosphere in a wonderful part of the country. We took our Fox Terrier with us, found the Hotel and indeed the whole area, to be very dog friendly. This made our stay relaxing and highly enjoyable. We ate at the Hotel and the food and service were excellent. All the staff were pleasant, friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: 'Superior' rooms have plenty of space.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bamburgh
Waren House Hotel
#3 of 5 in Alnwick
Eshott Hall
Eshott Hall
#1 of 1 in Eshott

Been to Victoria Hotel? Share your experiences!