“Not so bad.”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bamburgh
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Not so bad.”
Reviewed December 9, 2007

Stayed Dec07 for a xmas party. Stayed in room 1. This was quite small and really cold when we arrived. After shutting the window and turning on the radiator, it soon warmed up. Points to note. You can see the castle! Shower has very low pressure, but is hot. LCD TV bolted to the wall gets in the way a bit. No room for bags etc. Hot water bottle in closet. Bed fine, but windows are draughty. Some others in our party reported cold rooms also, and by the sounds of it there are bigger/better rooms than the one I had.
Staff were fine (including the eastern Europeans). The hotel has a public bar, which is small and had a DJ when I was there (for our party)...he may not be there at other times. We had an xmas food menu, the food was fine. Breakfast was all self service, hot breakfasts are available, as is juice,cereal, fruit,toast and yoghurts- get fuelled up for the day!. They have a nice looking menu for lunches and evening meals. I would say that our room was no better than you would find in a B+B, which would cost less. So look at that option before staying here.

• Liked — Prices in the bar were reasonable
  • Disliked — small room
  • Stayed December 2007
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
Cumbria
Reviewed September 2, 2007

We spent a night at the Victoria Hotel and were very disappointed with the bedroom. For £150 per night for a "deluxe" room I really expected more. The shower didn't work properly (we both had to have cold showers), the 4 poster bed was falling to bits, the decor was very shabby, no cover on the duvet, stains on the bedspread, only enough tea making facilities for one person and just generally grubby. The public areas were fine and we enjoyed a meal in the Brasserie. The village itself and the beaches were absolutely fantastic and more than made up for the sub-standard room. We will return to Bamburgh but we'll stay somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
sheffield
Reviewed September 1, 2007

I booked this hotel at the begining of August for a one night stay which cost £170 with dinner & breakfast. Had to cancel a week later as my travel companion was ill, so cancelled a week in advance. Spoke to one of the receptionists and he cancelled it and told me I wouldn't be charged as I'd cancelled so far in advance. Then to my horror last week the hotel took £120 out of my account. I rang up and the manager was very rude and I didn't get an answer about the refund until 6 hours later when I had to ring several times. There was not even an apology. I got the money back but 3 days after it was taken out, I was left with no money in my bank account for 3 days because of this.

The attitude and bad customer service from the staff at this hotel has really put me off booking with them in the future.

Stayed August 2005
Cambridgeshire
Reviewed August 23, 2007

I booked this hotel online after reading the many favourable reviews on Tripadvisor. I was quoted £200 per night including breakfast and dinner. This seemed a bit expensive but after the good reviews I had high hopes for our stay. The hotel was easy to find and the person at the Reception table ( there was no Reception desk ) checked us in efficiently. My husband had to ask about parking facilities as Bamburgh was packed and the few parking places in front of the hotel were already filled. When he came back we struggled up the stairs with our cases, no offer was made to help us.
Our room, no. 15, was large and well furnished and overlooked the front of the hotel. Our first annoyance was the large wooden wardrobe. Its handles were metal plates that clattered loudly every time we opened and closed the doors so unpacking was a little fraught. The bathroom was obviously new with an impressive-looking shower. Unfortunately there was only one small glass shelf for our things. We were staying for 3 nights so wanted to unpack our toiletries and leave them out - no room for that I'm afraid.
We were relaxing that afternoon when we were suddenly aware of water dripping. At first I thought it was just the bathroom tap
but my husband noticed it was coming from the ceiling and increasing in quantity. I rushed to find something to put under it while my husband rang Reception - no answer was forthcoming.
He rushed downstairs and returned a short while later to say he'd spoken to the man on the desk but wasn't sure if the message was taken on board as he was dealing with another guest. The water continued to drip into the rapidly-filling waste paper bin. After a few minutes my husband descended again to the Reception area. This time a man followed him back, looked at the situation and disappeared without a word. He returned shortly afterwards with a towel and a plastic container which he proceeded to put under the drip while he informed us that the lady in the room above was having a bath!!! So that was OK then!! My husband asked if this was likely to go on all night as it was obvious from the split in the ceiling paper and old stain on the carpet that this had happened before. The man told us that he couldn't say but he had no other room to offer us. He went away and the towel and plastic dish stayed in place for the rest of our stay though, fortunately, the dripping did eventually stop.

We ate in the restaurant that evening and the food was quite acceptable though we found the portions too large. The dish of fresh vegetables ( exactly the same each night ) was sent back hardly touched I'm afraid. Also, on the subject of the dinners, we would have appreciated even a tiny change in the menu on subsequent nights. perhaps a short Specials list could be managed.
Back in our room I went to have a wash before going to bed but found no hot water. We sighed and presumed perhaps it was turned off in the evening but next morning there was none either.
We felt another complaint coming on but my husband had an idea that the switch for the heated towel rail outside the bathroom might be the answer Later on we found he was right,
a simple solution but no mention of it was made either by the Receptionist on checking in nor was it to be found in the hotel information book.
The thought kept returning to me that I was paying £200 a night for this.
Apart from a muddle-up when we came to pay ( our dinners had been added to our bill although they should have been included)
the rest of our stay was uneventful.
Either side of our stay at the Victoria Hotel we stayed in chain hotels where the water was always hot, nothing dripped on us
and we got a large double bed each for quite a bit less than £200.
I have to admit we were offered another room the day after our leaking ceiling episode which we declined but the whole stay left me with the feeling that they could have done better.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — price
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lupin52
cumbria
Reviewed July 2, 2007

Stayed 3 nights in the Victoria Hotel. As a single traveler i was very surprised at the size of my room, it was huge. No11. four poster bed and lounge area and large bathroom. Was strange as a couple came out the room across from my room, and it looked a lot smaller. The staff were very friendly, checkin was easy, parking was outside the front of the hotel, spaces did fill up fast on busy days. Breakfast was fine, Mind the toaster looked like an implement of torture from the castle, i gave it a miss.
Sometimes i thought the hotel was stuck between a private hotel and a national chain. Still it was a very pleasant stay, in a lovely village.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — the toaster
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
3 Thank westcumbria
England
Reviewed May 9, 2007

Arrived on Friday for 2 nights. There was one single and one superior twin booked on a half board basis.

Parking was easy straight outside the hotel. Given that it was just after Easter and everyone was back at work, this wasn't surprising.
Reception staff friendly and helpful on arrival and departure. Had no reason to mither them whilst we were there.

The superior twin room was excellent. Comfortable beds, spacious and clean. The single room was a bit on the small side, but adequate. The bathroom in the twin was large, and there were adequate tioletries and hot water.

The food was average. The menue didn't change whilst we were there. If you hadn't booked half board and paid seperatly for your meal, it could turn out expensive. However, the food was well presented and well cooked. Breakfast was a buffet, and fairly average. You could order kippers etc if you wanted them.

The position of the hotel is ideal. Right in the middle of the village. The beach is a short walk. All the Northumbrian tourist spots are within easy driving distance. Would we stay there again??? Certainly, but in the same room as last time. If only I could remember the number!!

• Liked — Position in Bamburgh
  • Disliked — No change in menue
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
3 Thank Mrhilton
Haworth, West Yorkshire
Reviewed April 8, 2007

My husband and I have just got back from a 3 night stay at The Victoria Hotel. At first we didn't like our room (20), which was at the top of the house in the attic, as it was long and narrow we felt a bit claustrophobic. However, after checking out 2 more standard rooms we realised that we had got the best room as the other rooms were very dark and overlooked the glass roofed dining room where you could hear the drone of the kitchen (or something), so we decided to stay put. This turned out to be a good choice as once we had opened the windows it turned out to be quite airy inside and very bright, with the added bonus of a great view of Bamburgh Castle and the sea.

We decided to eat in the restaurant the first night. The menu wasn't particularly spectacular and the food to be honest was average. As the food was pricey in the restaurant and the menu didn't vary at all, we decided to eat out the next 2 nights. We found the food at The Lord Crewe further down the road very tasty on the 2nd night so we went there again on the 3rd.

The staff at The Victoria were all very friendly and gave excellent service, but at £120/night b & b for 2 people I would expect no less.

Bamburgh is a lovely place to visit but if we went again we would try out the accommodation at The Lord Crewe.

• Liked — The bed was very comfortable
  • Disliked — No parking facilities
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LongWeekenderHaworth
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bamburgh
Waren House Hotel
#5 of 5 in Alnwick
Eshott Hall
Eshott Hall
#1 of 1 in Eshott

Been to Victoria Hotel? Share your experiences!