“A welcome break from Pub grub”
Review of Mizen Head Hotel

Mizen Head Hotel
Ranked #2 of 14 Restaurants in Bamburgh
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: A new extension to an old hotel.
London, England, United Kingdom
“A welcome break from Pub grub”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

So after having lots of pub meals around Northumberland (some good some not so good), we were really excited about trying out the locally sourced fish that this place offered. You need to book a table here as it gets busy. You go in and you wait in the bar first with menus and chose you food before you are sat at the table. This works fine but the staff were clearly very busy and we did have to go and ask for a drink. I tried out a few gins from the extensive collection and found the staff to be very knowledgeable about the different types. When we sat down to eat the food was brought straight away, I had scallops to start and my boyfriend had lobster thermidor, both were delicious!! Our mains were excellent as well but unfortunately I can't remember exactly what we had but I remember them being very tasty. The service was excellent, it was pricey but worth it I think.

Shotley Bridge, null, United Kingdom
“Our favourite restaurant on the Northumberland Coast”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We have had many excellent meals here, and would recommend it to all. From the relaxed, friendly and efficient staff, to the consistently and beautifully cooked food, it can't be faulted. We particularly like the extensive menu, which is regularly reviewed. I love fish so am more than catered for, but my husband doesn't, yet he still is spoilt for choice! For me the clincher is their huge choice of mussels, available as either a starter or main, my favourite being the curry flavoured ones.
One suggestion - they should have a website!

York, United Kingdom
“Best meal in Bamburgh”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We had lunch and dinner at The Mizen Head as well as a few meals in other Bamburgh hotels. This was by far the best for dinner, lunch and service. The seafood was superb ( tho disappointed there was no lobster for Friday dinner) but scallops, mussels and special fish of the day was excellent. Wine list was interesting, staff were knowledgeable and pleasant. Highly recommended.

Visited May 2013
Chapel en le Frith, null, United Kingdom
“Lovely restaurant”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

This restaurant is a very friendly establishment with knowledgable staff and great food. We had oysters and lobster - yes I know - a bit decadent but so fabulous they were not to be missed! Whilst waiting for our table we had gin and tonic -after having the various gin styles explained to us by the bar manager ( I never knew gin came in different styles - juniper, citrus, floral, herbal and that the were best accompanied by different things - I do now!) All in all it was a lovely evening and one I hope to repeat when next in the area.

Whaley Bridge, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, service and surroundings”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Booked a table at this hotel which had visited a couple of years earlier. Felt slightly more upmarket than I recall last time. Staff were very pleasant and welcoming, drinks served immediately unlike some places that leave you sat while looking at a menu. Ordered in the bar and then went through to the lovely light restaurant. Delicious starter of smoked salmon and kipper pates, very tasty piece of turbot and veg for main course and finally a twist on Eton Mess. Nothing was ever a problem and we will visit again.