“a good week away”

Sandy Bay Holiday Park - Park Resorts
Reviewed October 30, 2012

we booked our week through the sun holidays and after being on a caravan holiday 17 years ago we had our reservations. The caravan was clean well equipped but try and get an upgrade to one with heating as it certaintely helps. the staff were really friendly and the clubhouse was fun on the nighttime we would definatley go back. Also it would really help if you had a car.

2  Thank Aileen S
Park R, General Manager at Sandy Bay Holiday Park - Park Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review and thank you for the kind comments, Aileen. I am pleased that you enjoyed your holiday and that your holiday home was well equipped. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

I have been here before and it was adequate, however on this visit it was simply awful! I booked through the Sun Holiday Promotion so the caravan was standard grade, it was dirty, smelly, had ripped carpet, the shower completely fell off wall, crockery was all chipped and the electric tripped! The entertainment was a shambles, there is no need to shout and scream down a mic, this is why you have a mic! The pool was "out of order" just as well as it was totally disgusting. The staff "couldnt be bothered" they just strolled about with no get up an go! almost £5 for a pint of cider......... terrible, unbelievable!!!!! £1.90 for a pint of lager in the Cresswell Arms in the village and a fab sunday lunch for a fiver, cant go wrong, and gets you off site for a while! disappointing stay, wont be back and Park Resorts should feel ashamed of their selves, quite simply ROBBERS!

1  Thank Dylew

I would like to thank you for your review. It’s only with the feedback of our guests can we hope to improve. We are recruiting our park cleaning team at the minute and going through in-depth interviews and training so that this year we get things right for our guests. I am sorry to hear that you had a bad experience in the past and I would like to assure you that this is a thing of the past. Our Entertainment team is all new for 2013 and I can guarantee they will be a hit, with fantastic training and years of experience this year’s team will be the best ever! Our retail team have been behind the scenes all winter organising new drinks offers and I am pleased to say as well as new high street brands we will have price reductions as well. Once again I am sorry for the issues you had on this occasion.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

This place is awful ! We normally go away with Haven but thought we would give this a chance but what a huge mistake. The park was awful. In short the bedding was clean but the springs were coming though the bed, the caravan was dirty, crockery was not clean. We were told we couldn't put the car near the caravan. The bar was terrible and the staff very rude we did order some food after eventually finding out that there was hardly anything actually off the menu that was available. This was awful and not cheap....... Do not even consider going here unless they are going to pay you !!!

Room Tip: Don't choose here!
1  Thank Penny J

Thank you for your review, we always listen to our guests and take any comments on board so that we can improve our services and facilities for our guests. Firstly, I would like to apologise for your experience on this occasion. As well as investing in carpets and upholstery we have also invested in new mattresses for the coming season. We do this regularly throughout the season so that our guests can have a good night sleep. We do however sometimes miss these, but as soon as we are informed we attempt to change them as soon as possible. Our new retail team are going through an intensive training schedule so that they are providing the highest possible level of service to our guests. As a company we have also been looking at our food offer and our brand new menu looks fantastic with some special deals for all the family to enjoy, such as 2 meals for £10. Once again thank you for taking the time to write a review I hope you may decide to stay with us again in the future and experience what will be excellent service and standards.

A TripAdvisor Member
newcastle o tyne
Reviewed October 28, 2012

we booked our weekend through the sun holidays and after reading some of the comments on the website we had reservations. well let me tell you we had not one complaint the caravan was clean well equipped and we had no complaints . the staff were really friendly and the clubhouse was fun on the nighttime we would definatley go back. pay no attentio to some of the comments you will read go for yourself and make you own judgement

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Firstly thank you for your kind comments and for taking the time to write a review. We always try to create amazing memories for all of our guests so I am pleased you enjoyed yourself.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

I have done caravan holidays since I was a child and at the ripe old age of 37 I can tell you this is the worse I have ever experienced.

Arrived after a 4 ½ journey to be told we couldn’t park or drive near our caravan which was in the middle of a very muddy field. With two 5 year olds in tow and my elderly mother-in-law this was not a great start.

When we entered the caravan the smell was so bad I went to the 24 hour Asda to get air fresheners and fabreeze. The sofa’s were so badly stained and dirty that we didn’t want to sit on them - the caravan had been cleaned in a fashion but can only be described as grotty. The fridge was held together with sellotape, the inside glass was missing from the oven rendering it unusable; the mould covered windows didn’t close properly and made the place freezing.

The funniest but though was when we opened the door to the caravan and it literally fell off, leaving my husband there holding it. The caravan needed scrapping.

The swimming pool was unusable as the heater had broken and when it did come to temperature it was then closed ‘due to unforeseen circumstances’, the shop was poorly stocked and there were gangs of kids hanging around.

At first we thought ‘this is what we get when we are dog owners’ but from speaking to other people all the vans seemed to be in the same condition. I complained on Sunday only to be told to come back and see the manager on Monday, I think our only option would have been to leave and try and get our money back which wasn’t practical as we had come up for a wedding.

I am amazed that they can get away with this – we had booked a bronze and I don’t mind basic or small but there really is no excuse for filthy.

On the upside our 5 year old twins had a great time, but then kids do don’t they!

1  Thank Lloyd881

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your holiday here at Sandy Bay. We take all feedback on board and use it to change our policy and procedures so that we can provide our guests with the service they deserve. Firstly please allow me to apologise for the issues you had during your stay. Over this winter we have invested heavily in our hire accommodation and we hope that the new standard of these units will please our guests and show that we are thriving to exceed the standards expected. Sometimes circumstances do arise and we can’t rectify them immediately due to needing parts, however we do try to provide an alternative so that our guests don’t miss out too much. Once again I apologise that you had these issues but I would like to assure you that we have made changes and we are striving to provide the best service and create amazing memories for all of our guests.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

Stayed in a silver plus caravan for two nights! Thank goodness we only booked the two nights! Caravan was filthy, the carpets and upholstery throughout were rotten!! I booked the silver plus as it has heating in all rooms.......radiator in the double room was broken so they had supplied an oil filled radiator which was luke warm at a push! The bottom end of the park was absolutely soaking we were told by a caravan owner there that management had been saying for five years they were going to install drainage, yet still hadnt! Didnt visit the pool as it really didnt look hygenic. Bar tarrif was extortionate, a bottle of hooch was £4.95!! Toilets in the complex had no loo roll unless you were happy to use the stuff strewn across the floors, and to top it off Somebody had defecated on the loo seats! To really add to the joy i counted 5 dead rabbits on the road whilst leaving the park.

Disgraceful place, waste of money, wish id stayed at home. AVOID at all costs!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
1  Thank stacy399

I would like to thank you for your review. Its only with feedback from our guests that we can improve. It appears that were let down by us on your visit and for this I apologise. Over the past few months we have made some changes to the team here at Sandy Bay and we are hoping to make improvements in all areas. We have also invested heavily in our accommodation including money spent on new upholstery, carpets and vinyl. While sometimes things do go wrong, if any guests have an issue we do our best to resolve it in a timely manner and in a way so that our guests can continue to enjoy their holiday how they would expect. We have also had ground drainage put into the park to alleviate the wet conditions that were being experienced by some of our guests. Our complex team have been working hard over the winter and we are happy to bring a new line up of drinks to our guests this year, as well as being able to reduce the prices. In addition our new complex team are going through rigorous training to ensure the highest possible standards are given to all of our guests. This is complimented by a substantial investment into the décor of the complex in particular including a total refurbishment of the beach club. I hope you can visit us again in the future to see the dramatic changes that have been made here at Sandy Bay. Once again, I’d like to apologise for your experience on this occasion, and thank you for your comments.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

What ever you do please do not book to stay at sandy bay if you have young children.. The full site is over run with rats,I complained to sales team who informed me there was nothing they could do as they were coming from farmers field,I was totally disgusted as i saw anbout 50 in 1 night. My little boy was playing outside with football and one ran past his feet. I had to keep my door locked past 7 as was very dark and they were running everywhere.The site is very run down and dirty and the staff are not helpfull at all. I would never come back to this site if i was paid a million pound totally disgracefull in every way possible.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Sarah b

Thank you for your review Sarah. I would like to apologise that your holiday did not meet your expectations on this occasion. We do have regular pest control action happening out and about on the Holiday Park. Ecolab take care of this for us and do an outstanding job. We have not received other reports of the amounts you have mentioned however as with any rural location, along with the fantastic views and pretty wild life, we have to handle the negative sides of our location. We ask guests to use bins provided and always report to us if they have any pest sightings which we then deal with. Over the winter we have invested on the park grounds and will continue to strive forward with improving the grounds. Once again, I’m sorry that you were disappointed.

Been to Sandy Bay Holiday Park - Park Resorts? Share your experiences!