“Good food”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 16, 2014

To be honest I wasn't expecting much going for a meal at the Portland. How wrong could I have been! The food was beautiful! I'm a big lad and it takes a lot to fill me but the food here did and I left not hungry. Unlike other restaurants I've been too. Give it a go. Next time I'm back in Ashington and fancy a nice meal. I will be heading for the Portland

Reviewed January 13, 2014

I've now visited the Portland about a dozen times during the week and at weekends. The staff are always very friendly and helpful, the decor is superb and the food is brilliant. Not only great tasting but great value as well. I look forward to many more visits with my family, friends and staff.
Cannot recommend it highly enough :)

Reviewed January 7, 2014

Not a great Christmas at the Portland especially if you actually want your vegetables cooked and your food hot even warm would have been good and being able to put your knife in the vegetables which were so hard I couldn't cut them.. Went back this year after a fab meal Christmas 2012 17 people. Starters were cold being scallops not a good move and a couple actually raw!!!! One member of our party is a chef so does actually know when they're cooked he had to spit the last one into his napkin because it was cold and raw. We complained and were asked to contact Barry on 27th to discuss, after numerous calls with no response and someone actually picking up the phone and putting it straight down I went up to see Barry Dixon Bar Manager and owner face to face. I was told that they had been a meeting with Darren (Chef!!!) and that we were the only one that had complained and therefore that was the end of it. Even if we were the only table which I doubt, you are in a customer relations business and you try to keep the customer happy. Not Mr Dixon he would rather lose our repeat business through the year as well as Christmas and an evening wedding reception we had booked rather than compensate us for the meal we had Christmas Day . That's good business sense - NOT!!! Have to say I was shocked at his attitude and as I did in 2012 when the food was excellent and I told everyone when the opportunity arose I will also be telling them how bad 2013 was and the shocking attitude of Mr Dixon I will go out of my way to let people know and if you're wedding reception is there don't expect hot food and all to be served at the same time!

Julia Charlton

1  Thank Julia C
kklr69, Owner at The Portland Bar & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

First of all I would like to thank you and your friends for choosing to spend your Christmas at The Portland.We believe we had a fabulous choice on our menu and a warm and inviting atmosphere.
I am extremely sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the food.
I am the owner of the business and spent Christmas day at The Portland along with my family, extended family, my children and my husbands family. We all enjoyed a delicious meal perfectly cooked.
I believe on Christmas day one of your party were unhappy with the Beef Wellington which was served pink. A member of staff returned the dish to the kitchen where our chef assured them that the dish was perfectly safe and served as it was meant to be. The customer was still unhappy so we replaced the dish cooked to their specification. Our manager did three check backs to make sure you were all happy and received no more complaints. After staying all day I believe you came back to The Portland on 27th December to demand a full refund for all 17 meals. I believe our manager performed the relevant checks on the day to make sure your party had the best day possible. The co owner has since been in contact with you to try and discuss compensation but has been unable to gain a response.
Again I would like to send our sincerest apologies to you and your party.
I believe you have received a full refund of your function deposit.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

I've been a few times for the 2 course special which is very good value. I recently went and just wanted a sandwich so ordered a daily special which was advertised on a chalk board on the bar. Fresh crab stottie with chunky chips, salad and tartare sauce. The presentation when it came was lovely. But on closer inspection it was not as advertised. The crab was eked out with prawns and the chips thin stringy fries. The salad was small but adequate and I had to ask for the tartare sauce. While the meal was fine it would be easy for them to change the board to indicate the exact meal instead of making changes without informing the customer. I will go back but they just need to think things through a bit.

1  Thank SueLaurel
Reviewed December 13, 2013

Excellent value for money ,two courses for £5-95. The soup is fantastic ,blue cheese and broccoli is my favourite but there is so many wonderful things on the menu The portion size is great and when ever we eat out we usually head to the Portland. I would recommend it to anyone .I am looking forward to the carvary which is advertised as coming soon.