“Memorable location”

Ranked #36 of 122 Restaurants in Alnwick
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Treehouse is one of the most magical and unique restaurants to be found anywhere in the world. It’s high up in the treetops, with a roaring log fire in the centre of the room and trees growing through the floor. Most importantly, the locally-inspired food is delicious. Always featuring local fish and seafood, meats from Northumberland’s farmlands and other regional specialities, the Treehouse Restaurant menus highlight local quality, taste and change throughout the seasons. There’s a great wine list, a good range of beers and regular live music. For a family dining experience that you’ll all enjoy, a great night out with friends or a romantic dinner for two, there’s nowhere quite like it. We always recommend booking ahead for lunch or dinner.
Reviewed July 27, 2014

A very pleasant evening in a remarkable location - per prior reviewers, almost magical. Seven of us including children with an early evening dinner slot. Although our waitress was young and relatively inexperienced, the service was very good and in fact charming in a way that more 'serious' operations are not.

The food was good but not perhaps great, and we can only confirm that the portions are not huge. Overall though we had a good and - importantly - memorable evening.

1  Thank sidneytrip10
Write a ReviewReviews (2,017)

Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend booked the Tree House for a lovely treat, I have always wanted to go but it's 3 hour drive.
When we arrived I was so excited. It was everything I imagined it to be, with fairy lights and candles everywhere.
What I didn't realise was my boyfriend had arranged with the staff at the treehouse that he was going to propose.
It was amazing and magical..... The staff really pulled out the stops and I just want to say a massive thank you to you all, especially Joel and Jessica. THANK YOU!!!!
Now we are looking at holding our special big day at the treehouse. Can't wait to start organising it.

3  Thank cathshoz
Reviewed July 24, 2014

I booked a table at The Treehouse for my wife's birthday dinner, although in truth the main reason for the choice was because I thought it would appeal to my 9-year-old daughter. I was right - as we walked towards the restaurant on a lovely sunny summer evening, she was thrilled.

Eating at The Treehouse is no ordinary experience. As others have commented, it's like something out of a film set, with hand-carved furniture and thousands of tiny lights. But of course the food is the most important element, and it didn't disappoint. Portions were small, but the quality was very good. Our starters included scallops, and confit of duck - both very tasty. I had grilled sea bass with prawn and crab risotto, which was excellent. My wife's mullet was slightly bland, but she enjoyed it nevertheless. Our daughter selected pasta Bolognese from the children's menu, and declared that it was delicious.

There's no doubt that eating at The Treehouse is a unique experience. I'd definitely recommend it, particularly if you have children with vivid imaginations.

1  Thank Phil_Appleby
Reviewed July 24, 2014

My wife wanted to visit the tree house for lunch on her birthday we emailed using the website link - no response. We followed this up by two further email and three phone calls over two days without an answer, finally getting through my wife was told they were fully booked. This I can accept just why didn't they let us know so we could at least book somewhere else.

6  Thank Peter T
DRSNorthumberland, Manager at The Treehouse Restaurant at the Alnwick Garden, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2014

Thank you for your comments, on investigation I have established that the call you made when you were informed we were fully booked was the first direct contact made with The Treehouse, I believe all other communications have been made via The Alnwick Garden and not directly with ourselves. While we are part of The Alnwick Garden we do have a direct phone line and email address both of which are checked regularly by our dedicated admin team. Contact details are available from The Alnwick Garden website.

Reviewed July 20, 2014

We booked into this restaurant for lunch on Sunday 13 July because we were intrigued by the venue. It was a real delight - like having lunch in a Lord of the Rings film set. It is a fixed price menu and you pay for two or three courses. We had the cheese fondue, the kipper pate and the soup followed by roast pork, beef and lamb respectively. The food was very tasty, good quality tender meat with nicely cooked vegetables and well presented. Service was attentive without being intrusive. My daughter had a pudding which was a trio of strawberry desserts which we all tasted - yummy. Yes it is expensive for lunch but it is such a magical place and the food is so good I would say it was worth every penny. Would go again.

1  Thank Vicxx143