“Hog warts magic”

Ranked #20 of 120 Restaurants in Alnwick
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Treehouse is one of the most magical and unique restaurants to be found anywhere in the world. It’s high up in the treetops, with a roaring log fire in the centre of the room and trees growing through the floor. Most importantly, the locally-inspired food is delicious. Always featuring local fish and seafood, meats from Northumberland’s farmlands and other regional specialities, the Treehouse Restaurant menus highlight local quality, taste and change throughout the seasons. There’s a great wine list, a good range of beers and regular live music. For a family dining experience that you’ll all enjoy, a great night out with friends or a romantic dinner for two, there’s nowhere quite like it. We always recommend booking ahead for lunch or dinner.
Reviewed July 10, 2014

Took my son and we really enjoyed the wood appeal, the roaring fire on a wet day and the hog warts style decor. Food was tasty but not top notch fine dining. And we had to find our own way to the treetop platform. Staff were friendly and not hugely experienced . Atmospheric rather than haute cuisine.

There are newer reviews for The Treehouse Restaurant at the Alnwick Garden

Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

We are on holiday in the area and this restaurant was recommended as one of the 'don't miss' experiences. We are glad we went as it was a very good evening. The staff were extremely attentive and helpful. They readily provided me with a 'gluten and dairy free' menu, with several choices for each course - even desserts, which I don't normally get - usually a 'fruit salad' is about as good as it gets when I'm eating out.

Starters: The scallops with pea purée was nice but the 3 scallops I got were very small, and I don't think necessarily worth paying £2 extra for. My husband had the tomato and roast pepper soup, which was lovely. They gave us bread at the table - the gluten free bread was a bit dry but they readily toasted it for me, which was fine.

Mains were the sea bream with prawn and crayfish risotto and chicken with puy lentils. Both excellent and served with some lovely al dente vegetables, the way we like them. Desserts were the trio of strawberries (hot strawberry crumble, a scoop of strawberry sorbet and a shot glass with strawberry with daiquiri), for hubs, while I had a strawberry and raspberry cold soup, with a scoop of strawberry sorbet. Both delicious. Overall the meal was really good. The ambience is lovely, made special by the rustic surroundings of the treehouse and the myriad of twinkling white fairy lights everywhere.

The one downside for me was the hard bench I was sitting on. Most tables have very high backed chairs. We were at a corner table at the back and while my husband sat on a chair, I was on a bench which was like sitting for two hours on a hard church pew! I ended up with a numb bottom :-/
However, overall this was a very good dining experience and although £77 for two of us, we had 3 courses and drinks, so not unreasonable for what we had. I'd say definitely give it a go, as it's a nice experience, but consider taking a blow up cushion if you get a bench lol!

Reviewed July 9, 2014

We booked a table in advance for our family of 5. Having been before we know how magical it is inside and once again we weren't disappointed by the kids joy.

The service, however, really let the place down.

The lady taking our drinks order couldn't take our food order for some reason - something to do with a supervisor doing so by a rota?!?!

Then when our main course arrived the waitress - Samantha - handed my wife her plate which scalded her, and only then did the waitress say the plate was hot. Most disappointing of all was that she seemed to smirk at one of her colleagues like she had done so on purpose. Given how differently she treated the couple at the table right next to us, this felt personal.

I don't like to name and shame but this waitress - Samantha - needs to pull herself together if she allows whatever personal issues she takes with paying customers to impact how she treats them.

3  Thank ogfadams
Reviewed July 8, 2014

We opted for lunch at The Potting Shed part of the Treehouse Restaurant as a good rest spot on our visit to ALwick Garden. I wish we hadn't bothered.

We just wanted something light and ordered a couple of hot sandwiches. 30 minutes later as all the others who had been served around the same time of us had left, the time had come to find out what happened. It appears our order had been served to someone else, they had also had poor food and poor service and were found complaining at the bar. The very nice manager was apologetic but given they served 3 tables in that time, getting that wrong does not bode well for their busiest period of the year. That being said, it's worth a visit for the rope bridges alone....

Take my advice, take a picnic.

2  Thank KarenGalloway
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Everybody recommended this place so I booked for the Sunday evening and I'm glad. It's unique and picturesque, but more importantly the food's good and it's not overpriced. We started with a Chicory Waldorf Salad (mine) and a Pork and Apricot Terrine (my husband) and both were delicious. Then I opted for the corn-fed chicken with puy lentils and my husband for the sea bream with crab and shrimp risotto. Clean plates all round again. He declined a pudding but I couldn't resist lemon posset with a summer berry compote and shortbread biscuit. I've never had a posset before but it was light and creamy at once, with a tangy compote - and the shortbread... light, crisp and melt-in-the-mouth, the nicest I've ever had. Add to that a cocktail (delicious), two beers and a coffee and the total bill was £75, which ok isn't cheap but was worth it in my book. I'd go back if we return to Alnwick in the future.