“Nice setting”

Ranked #38 of 122 Restaurants in Alnwick
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Treehouse is one of the most magical and unique restaurants to be found anywhere in the world. It’s high up in the treetops, with a roaring log fire in the centre of the room and trees growing through the floor. Most importantly, the locally-inspired food is delicious. Always featuring local fish and seafood, meats from Northumberland’s farmlands and other regional specialities, the Treehouse Restaurant menus highlight local quality, taste and change throughout the seasons. There’s a great wine list, a good range of beers and regular live music. For a family dining experience that you’ll all enjoy, a great night out with friends or a romantic dinner for two, there’s nowhere quite like it. We always recommend booking ahead for lunch or dinner.
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We visited for Sunday lunch to celebrate our first wedding anniversay. We booked ahead (which is a must I believe). You don't have to pay to get in to access the Treehouse however we paid £3.50 to park in the Alnwick Gardens car park (a bit steep really given we had a meal, then paid to get in the gardens as well). Anyway, on to the lunch, the staff were very efficient, the setting was lovely and there was a good choice, 2 courses for £18.50 or 3 courses for £22 and a good children's menu. I thought the food was good for the price, you could tell it was all very fresh and good quality. I would have expected bread/nibbles to start with for that price but it didnt ruin the meal. I always get Sticky Toffee Pudding for dessert and I can say that it was one of the best I've had. I think it would be a very romantic setting for couples on an evening, with all the twinkling fairy lights and the roaring fire.

DRSNorthumberland, Manager at The Treehouse Restaurant at the Alnwick Garden, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

Hello there,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your experience at the Treehouse Restaurant.

For future reference, if you have a reserved table with us in the Treehouse, you do not have to pay to use the car park. Just mention your reservation to the car park attendants.

I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed your meal with us, and I would have to agree - the sticky toffee pudding is fantastic!

We hope to see you again in the future, perhaps you will treat yourself to our evening dining.

Kind regards,

David Scott
The Treehouse Restaurant Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,043)

Reviewed October 21, 2013

I think family lunches probably work quite well at the Treehouse as the younger members will be fascinated by the building, it is a fantastic structure but as a restaurant it sadly disappoints. The food is just about OK but not served with any great enthusiasm or speed.

A meal for two with a reasonable bottle of wine is rushing toward £100, at that level I do not expect to be sat on a backless wooden bench and I think its reasonable to expect a bit of service.

Take the kids for lunch, they will enjoy it but there are better venues in Alnwick for an evening meal

Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

Our lunch at the treehouse was amazing. I didn't think it was possible to go that far with just a Sunday dinner but this was by far the best I've had. Perfect portion sizes (it's about quality, rather than quantity) and it was certainly obvious that the produce was all fresh. Very friendly, polite and efficient staff. This was an excellent experience due to the lovely fairy tale feel inside the tree house. Il certainly be returning to try the evening menu and will be passing this onto friends and family

DRSNorthumberland, Manager at The Treehouse Restaurant at the Alnwick Garden, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Treehouse Restaurant. Your kind words have been passed on to the team.

We hope to see you again in the future.

Kind regards,

David Scott
The Treehouse Restaurant Manager

Reviewed October 20, 2013

We have had lunch in the tree house before and took friends along this time. The first view of the fantastic looking tree house is the first thing that grabs you. Once you get in and your eyes adjust to the lighting you see really nice unusual seats at the tables and a big roaring fire in the middle of the restaurant. You also get a great views if you go up onto the balcony on the roof Not a big choice on the menu and the prices were slightly high for the moderate portions served but the standard was high. The staff were friendly and efficient. Our friends enjoyed the whole experience

Reviewed October 20, 2013

After reading reviews, I was quite looking forward to my meal-fully aware I'd have to dig deep to pay for it! I'd looked online before hand at a sample menu, thinking it would be exactly that- a selection of what the restaurant had to offer, I was slightly disappointed when I realised I had viewed the whole menu! There was a range of food but nothing to get me enthused and I wouldnt class myself as a fussy eat. The starters were lovely-for the image I think the treehouse is trying to go for however, they are a little standard in option, however delicious, the only complaints were that there could have been a bit more on the plate-particularly for the salmon starter, and the soup lacked flavour. The mains were of quite small portions-this was emphasised by plates that were simply too big! The accompanying sauces are so rich an over powering that you're lulled into feeling full. I'm not a fan of pretentious restaurants who serve small portions where you pay a premium and would prefer to go home full! Don't get me wrong, the meat was cooked beautifully, it was just the choice of meat that wasnt really my cup of tea; a little bit different-yes but not what I would choose to ever eat; there was a lot of Ox on the menu- not something I would class as fine dining, maybe thats just me, or prehaps a good deal with a local butcher had been struck up! I feel for the price of the meal, it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect a small portion of complimentary vegetables to accompany the dishes, prehaps I have just been spoilt in other restaurants! I personally opted not to have a pudding due to being on a bit of a budget-prehaps lowering the prices just slightly might make more people 'have their cake and eat it!'
On arrival in the dark and rain, the place does look lovely-nice setting, lovely lighting walking to the treehouse, however after being inside a while, I did start to feel like I was just sitting in a shed, no roaring fire going. The layout has been well thought out so tables can enjoy privacy, and the use of branches to make seat backs-a little uncomfortable after a while but i guess adds to the theme they are going for-treehouse or shed...
The staff were accomodating and polite but nothing extra ordinary like some folk on here suggested!
Nice for somewhere different but I feel due to the high prices this will only be a 'once in a lifetime' visit.