“Stayed in Rock, just outside Alnwick”

The Treehouse Restaurant at the Alnwick Garden
Ranked #19 of 120 Restaurants in Alnwick
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Treehouse is one of the most magical and unique restaurants to be found anywhere in the world. It’s high up in the treetops, with a roaring log fire in the centre of the room and trees growing through the floor. Most importantly, the locally-inspired food is delicious. Always featuring local fish and seafood, meats from Northumberland’s farmlands and other regional specialities, the Treehouse Restaurant menus highlight local quality, taste and change throughout the seasons. There’s a great wine list, a good range of beers and regular live music. For a family dining experience that you’ll all enjoy, a great night out with friends or a romantic dinner for two, there’s nowhere quite like it. We always recommend booking ahead for lunch or dinner.
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Staying near to Alnwick, we had heard of the Treehouse Restaurant in Alnwick Gardens, so decided to book an evening table for three. The place is wonderful, and so was the food. Eating inside the giant Treehouse is an experience in itself. The food was good, and the staff excellent. The cost was £140, so not cheap, but we thought worth it for the experience.

Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

We went for a birthday dinner on a Thursday evening. We had a table booked for 830 but turned up early so that we could sit in the bar.

The treehouse is a series of huts and houses built into the trees at Alnwick Gardens. We visited the gardens and castle in the day but avoided the treehouse so that we only saw it at night in its twinkling fairy-lit glory. In the day it does lunches and is more child friendly apparently but we wanted a lovely romantic location - so I'm glad we waited till after dark.

We had cocktails from their limited but wonderful menu - I had dirty Jane - vodka, chambord, syrup, lemon juice and soda topped with plump delicious raspberries, blueberries and blackberries. It was lovely. Birthday boy had an espresso martini - coffee, vodka and kahlua - equally delicious. Around £6 each.

We ordered whilst in the bar and then were taken to our table - it really is a stunning place, probably better at night, fairy lights, lanterns lit with tea lights and furniture made from twisted branches.

I'll keep to the point - the food was completely delicious. We had the 3 course for £32.50 option (the only option actually), I had beetroot and gin cured salmon, served with corn cakes, watercress, a horseradish cream and a smoked aubergine purée. BB had a goats cheese salad with walnut - I can't remember the rest but they were both brilliant. So fresh and tasty, amazing. Main courses - I had crispy sea bass on a bed of pepper ragout (i'm guessing at how they described this on the menu as I can't quite remember), with juicy, soft, sweet queen scallops. Again, delicious. BB had a big chunk of steak, which he said was incredible. We ordered a side of sweet potato fries with a yoghurt dressing - it was a hefty portion of wonderfully flavoured and crispy chips.

For dessert we shared a rhubarb and brown sugar meringue with cream - a sort of reconstructed
Eton Mess - at the risk of being repetitive - completely delicious. And we also had cheese. If I thought one area was slightly less amazing than the rest, it might be that cheese, more crackers and a more varied selection of cheese would do it (there was a cheddar, a smoked medium cheese and a more herby medium cheese), all tasty but a little mild for our tastes. Really not a major point at all and I wouldn't take any points away from their 5/5 for food because of it. We drank large glasses of merlot, Pinot grigio and a cognac throughout the meal.

It came to £114 - the drinks and supplements for the steak and cheese bumping the price up - but well worth it. A luxury but with such relaxed and friendly service that we just enjoyed every minute (and mouthful). They even stuck a candle in the cheese as we'd mentioned it was a birthday when we were in the bar - really good service and very thoughtful.

Do go, especially if it's a special occasion - it's a beautiful, magical treat.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

On our way home from Scotland, we stopped to have lunch, not for the first time, at the Treehouse Restaurant at Alnwick Garden.

Our waitress was exceptionally helpful, attentive and friendly and deserved the tip we left.

The food was tasty, hot and well presented, although we had to play 'hunt the lamb' during the main course.

However my wife was just starting her meal and found a fly sitting on top of her meat !

Most disconcerting !

Our waitress was very quick to offer and provide my wife with a replacement meal, which unfortunately she had to eat alone after I had finished my meal as mine would have gone cold waiting for her replacement to arrive.

When the bill came, the Manager had to be cajoled into making a gesture for the 'fly' found in the food.

He made some feeble excuse about 'he would have offered free coffees, but noticed we had already had coffee and it was already on the bill, so there was little he could do'.

There followed a most embarrassing silence and eventually he took the bill away and said our other drinks (both soft) would be gratis.

He returned with the bill with the 2 soft drinks deducted, but not the coffee, already offered, so we paid, left our delightful waitress her tip and vowed not to go back.

All this could have been avoided had the Manager simply dealt with the matter promptly before we ever received the bill in the first place.

By the way, take your Hiking Boots if you need the loo .............. they are 2 storeys up by Spiral Staircase !

DRSNorthumberland, Manager at The Treehouse Restaurant at the Alnwick Garden, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2013

Hello there,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for writing in with your comments. Your waitress on the day, Laura, really is a wonderful asset to our team. As the Treehouse Manager, I pride myself on great customer service and ensuring our visitors enjoy their whole experience.

When you and your wife visited us, upon taking your order, I went straight to the kitchen to liaise with our head chef regarding how your wife wanted her lamb cooked, as your wife was very precise in her cooking instruction and from the offset made it very clear she would not be happy if it was not to her liking and would send it back. With this in mind I wanted your meal to be as much to your liking as possible so personally spoke to the kitchen.

I understand that finding a fly sitting on top of your wife’s meal would have come as a bit of an unwelcome shock. However, I must point out that the fly was not wilted or damaged, which it would have been had it took part in the cooking process. I do not personally believe the fly was on the dish when it was served, however I would be disappointed to learn my teams observation skills had failed on this occasion.

Laura did tell me straight away that she was replacing your wife’s meal and I felt she had the situation under control, so did not deem it necessary to come and speak to you at the time. I am proud to say I am a very customer focused manager and was fully prepared to come and speak to you after your meal – so as not to disturb you whilst you were eating. I apologise if this made you feel put out at all.

I would like to apologise regarding the slip in communication, as your bill was taken up to you before I had the chance to come and talk to you both. I would like to mention that I have been misquoted to have said “I would have offered you free coffees, but noticed you had already had coffee and it was already on the bill, so there is little I can do”. My point was that when you mentioned free coffee’s would have been welcome, I had said that was exactly what I was going to offer you before the bill was added up and brought to you, but like I mentioned before, unfortunately there was a slight slip in communication when I wasn’t aware that you had finished your meal and were ready to leave. The reason I did not take the coffee’s off the bill for you, was because the lady had not had coffee. So I had offered to take your other drinks off – not realising at the time that they were both soft drinks – and you had seemed happy with the gesture.

I am sorry that your experience has been tainted, but I do hope you will think of visiting again in the future. If you do, no hiking boots are required as we have an easy access toilet on the same ground level.

Regards,

David Scott
Treehouse Restaurant Manager.

Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

We chose the treehouse to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary as the symbol is wood.

The whole experience was fantastic. The ambience, service and food a delight.

Would recommend this as a place for celebrating special events.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

It was absolutely chucking it down, and we were all thoroughly fed up and soaked through. We made it to The Treehouse at lunchtime, and were amazed to find that they had a table free. The venue is beautiful; an actual treehouse filled with fairy lights. Our waitress was lovely, and was attentive and chatty without being obtrusive. The food was pretty spectacular; the lamb rump with tapenade deserving a special mention. The desserts are definitely worth a go. The gluten free brownie, and their take on an Eton Mess with rhubarb went down a storm! It's very family friendly, and there seemed to be a couple of kids parties going on which didn't disturb other customers at all. We'll definitely return.