“Lunch in the Treehouse”

The Treehouse Restaurant at the Alnwick Garden
Ranked #23 of 118 Restaurants in Alnwick
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children, Scenic view, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Treehouse is one of the most magical and unique restaurants to be found anywhere in the world. It’s high up in the treetops, with a roaring log fire in the centre of the room and trees growing through the floor. Most importantly, the locally-inspired food is delicious. Always featuring local fish and seafood, meats from Northumberland’s farmlands and other regional specialities, the Treehouse Restaurant menus highlight local quality, taste and change throughout the seasons. There’s a great wine list, a good range of beers and regular live music. For a family dining experience that you’ll all enjoy, a great night out with friends or a romantic dinner for two, there’s nowhere quite like it. We always recommend booking ahead for lunch or dinner.
“Lunch in the Treehouse”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

Very nice lunch in a quirky, unique treehouse restaurant. Good service, reasonable price, would definitely go back - dinner at night would be great with the restaurant lit up.

• Visited May 2013

Alnwick, United Kingdom
“Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

I went for a meal with my three friends and it was amazing! The service was warm, welcoming and helpful and the food was delicious! Although compared to other 'cheap and cheerful' outlets the dishes may not come across as large but after a couple of mouthfuls I was soon satisfied with rich flavours and the amount was just right. The prices were above average however matched the high presentation and taste of the food and the unique settings lit up with twinkling lights and a warm glowing fire. The cocktails had me at the start made with freshly made juices at the bar and were very moreish, I will be coming back and recommending to others.

• Visited June 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent location, excellent food, friendly staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

A gigantic treehouse on the Alnwick Gardens Estate, lit by fairy lights and you don't even have to climb it to enjoy the view. Access is via a bridge with beautiful views of the surrounding countryside. The swing bridges are fun to cross, especially for children. Everything within the restaurant is made of wood and there is an aroma of burning wood from the open fire inside the tree house. The evening menu isn't vast but the food is excellent. We had orange scented pork wrapped in Parma ham with creamed greens and sweet potato chips. Afterwards I had white chocolate cheesecake with lavender, served in a flowerpot. The whole evening was very relaxed, the staff very efficient and very kind and I would thoroughly recommend you pay a visit if you're in the area. Booking is essential. They are not open every evening so check their website for details. Parking is free outside the restaurant in the evenings.

• Visited June 2013
Diss, United Kingdom
“style over substance”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

I am glad I visited the treehouse and would recommend that you go. Having said that, the lovely surroundings were let down by the food (I had some particularly dispiriting chick pea and carrot croquettes, although the sweet potato chips are fantastic). It is very expensive for the quality, and having to pay extra for bread seems downright mean given the prices.

Visited June 2013
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

I booked lunch at the Treehouse as a treat for my mother, having had a memorable lunch there a couple of years ago. She came up on the train from Yorkshire just for the day. The menu has changed to a set price 2 or 3 course lunch. Choice was limited especially for an 85 year old lady with old fashioned tastes who usually opts for "safe" fish and chips. She chose the sea bream fillets but hadn't realised it was basically a salad - hence a tiny fillet of cold and oily fish sitting on a tiny mound of cold potato salad with a tin pot of what seemed to be mainly huge raw chunks of fennel - not nice - I tried it. My choice of chicken and risotto was nice but at £18 50 for 2 courses really it was very basic. Desserts were better - Mum had the cake - though she was given the outer edge and it looked quite dull really with a tiny splodge of icecream. I had the Flowerpot cheesecake and it was lovely. Dessert cheered us a little so we ordered coffee - it was served in thick rimmed glass mugs - - I have to say it was one of the worst cups of coffee I've ever had - and with milk added was the colour of weak tea - not even a mint to go with it - we really wished we had gone elsewhere for coffee. This had been a treat from me to mark my 60th birthday - what a lot of money for such a disappointing meal. Made worse when a couple of weeks later as another birthday treat with my sister nad daughter we chose the Wenslydale Heifer in West Witton. Same price but on another planet I think - the best meal I've had in years for the same price!! - Fabulous food and coffee was served in china cups - huge cafetiere and freshly made on site chocolates - wow! Alnwick Treeehouse - get your act together - quirkiness isn't enough - or really is one off visits from holiday makers the main marketing ploy rather than attracting repeat visits from local people?

• Visited May 2013