“Cozy place”

Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 1, 2012

A good place to eat before an event in town with good food and service. The history of part of the building having items from the sister ship to the Titanic adds a bit of charm to the locale.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

Went up to The White Swan today for 'Afternoon Tea' - a gift from my cousin. We booked over the phone and the receptionist was very helpful, friendly and polite.

We arrived with our voucher and were shown to the restaurant. We took a seat in the window and were told someone would be over to take our order. We waited.... And waited.....

Whilst we sat waiting, nobody else came in. Nobody who was already in were being attended to. Nobody was paying their bill. WHY therefore were we left waiting for so long....?

After 15 minutes had passed I was literally getting up from my chair for go and find someone when 'John' came over. He apologised and said he thought we were being seen to. He appeared to be the only staff member on, so I'm not sure who it was he thought was serving us?! He explained that the voucher gave us a choice of 2 sandwich fillings each, plus the scone and cakes. Lovely!

My wife chose the Cucumber and Cream Cheese, and the Salmon. I opted for the Egg Mayo also along with the Salmon.

Again, we were left to wait. And wait. And wait. again, with nothing else at all happening in the restaurant for 'John' to be troubled with it took almost 25 minutes for our sandwiches to arrive.

The first thing we noticed was that none of the sandwiches had butter, marg or spread on them. Maybe it's just me, but isn't this a basic part of a sandwich?

My wife was less than impressed at the Cucumber and Cream Cheese. Mainly due to the fact that the Cream Cheese was non existant. It was literally 2 dry bits of bread with a lump of cucumber inbetween. And when I say lump, I really do mean lump. More hacked than sliced.

After a quick word with John, he brought us some Cheese for my wife to add to her chunks of cucumber.

The scones were fresh and warm, with a good helping of Cream and Jam to go with them. The cakes were also very nice.

The table we were sat at, as well as the one next to us (and one would presume a fair few others) were 'chocked up' to stop them wobbling with old beer mats. For this to be in a venue that strives to be one up from its competitors, this sadly gave an impression of being "All fur coat and no knickers" to me. From the outside it was a quintessentially English "Afternoon Tea with Cucumber Sandwiches" yet scratch the surface and you see tables propped up with beer mats, just like they would be in the greasy spoon down the road.

As for a return visit - I very much doubt it. I think the only chance of us visiting again would be if someone got us an afternoon tea gift again. However, if they did I think we may take the time to travel slightly further and try Doxford Hall slightly further north.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Easy access from the main street. The lunchtime menu was simple and the quality of food was good. Bistro was clean and fresh looking. It was also a treat to be shown the dining room with the panelling from RMS Olympic. A pleasant lunch in a great little town.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

We have visited many times for a cream tea and all was well , Untill last couple of times , A young barman didnt know what a cream tea was ? and when we explained he got it !! This week we went and same lad said we dont do food today :( thort we would go elsewhere and on the way out we seen a couple with a cream tea ?? So I went to reception to complain but they were not intreted (playin on computer she was )

1  Thank Paul T
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Went in early afternoon so had missed the lunchtime service and were told that we could have drinks and sandwiches, which was fine. My 'undoing' was when we were offered afternoon tea, which we were informed would be very filling (not an idle boast !).

There is a large selection of sandwiches of which you can choose 2 types per person. These came swiftly with a scone, jam, cream and a selection of cake. A pot of tea was provided along with subsequent free pots as well.

Overall a nice experience - pleasant environment, good service, and great tasting food. The cost of around £12 per person seemed reasonable for what we had.

I would go back again.