“Sylish accommodation and a host with a great personality”
Review of Tate House

Tate House
Ranked #28 of 68 Alnwick B&B and Inns
Adelaide
“Sylish accommodation and a host with a great personality”
Reviewed July 5, 2009

We had three nights at this guest house, which has immaculate, modern, comfortable and stylish decor. Leo is a fascinating and charming host once you work out that you should take much of what he says with a big pinch of salt as he loves to joke and provoke in fun!! Just give as good as you get and you'll have a great time. There was plenty of choice for breakfast, basically whatever you want provided he knows in advance so he can get things in. We throughly enjoyed our stay at Tate House and Alnwick and Northumberland which have much to offer. The castle and gardens, the Farne Islands, Cragside stately home, the walk from Seahouses to Dunstanburgh Castle and the scenery in the Northumberland National Park were all highlights. May is a great time of year for Rhododendrons. The indian restaurant in Alnwick was excellent, sorry can't remember the name.

1 Thank Christopher S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
penrith
Reviewed June 18, 2009

Tate House
Booking on line can always seem a bit of a lottery. Having had a few bad experiences we were glad to find Tate House ticked our three main preference boxes.

Cleanliness, Friendliness and Food.

The house and rooms are kept fastidiously (painstakingly) clean, it is well maintained and tastefully decorated.

The kitchen is not hidden away but easily open to inspection. We occupied the double room with en suite on the first floor.

The breakfast was all that one could want or expect, the food was of best quality products

They say “ if you want a friend then be a friend,” and Leo and Charlotte are as friendly as you would want them to be. No doubt honouring privacy to those who want it so.

There is ample parking and close to all ameniities, including a great chip shop in the town. We visited Holy Island, Sea houses and Cragside as well as the fantastic Castle and Gardens in Alnwick

If ever we had occasion to visit these parts again we wouldn’t think of looking elsewhere for B & B.

Thanks Leo & Charlotte for your excellent service and attention which made our short stay in Alnwick as memorable as one could wish.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank geekay5
Halifax
Reviewed May 20, 2009

My wife and I had an excellent visit to Alnwick made more so by the execellent accommodation and service we received at Tate House.
The owner could not have been any more helpful and even though we had to share our bathroom with the owner (the room we were in is the only one where sharing is necessary and this was fully explained to us before we booked) we had a great time and we encountered absolutely no problems .
Will definitely revisit.

1 Thank Wheatleypair
Coventry
Reviewed May 18, 2009

It was a fantastic stay at Tate House - from location all the way to facilities in the room! It's everything one could ask for, and even more! Leo is very friendly and helpful - the whole accommodation is spotlessly clean and the bed is the most comfortable I've slept in!Very high standard B&B and I would definitely recommend it to anyone and I'll certainly come back again! Thanks again, Leo!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank PegasusPeggie
New York CIty
Reviewed May 15, 2009

Had a brilliant time during my 5 night stay at the Tate House...My large room was spotless, fresh and shining.. Leo loves this house he remodeled himself.... Alnwick is his town and he knows everyone and where to send you to see the best...or he'll show you himself. Leo makes a great breakfast, cleans up in a flash and makes you welcome in a moment. Key to the door and it's your house too! WiFi made working in my room easy...Since I got up before dawn to photograph The Alnwick Garden (only one block away), he had my own coffee set up and waiting for me..I loved this place.. but don't tell too many people or I will not get my room again for my next visit to smell the ROSES...

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank juneharrisonphotog
Nottinghamshire
Reviewed May 12, 2009

Our experience of Tate house could not be further removed than that of Doctorleeds and we were the other guests he refers to in his review of Tate house! Our host was charming, talkative, informative and obviously loves his house. Tate house was spotlessly clean, we saw the notice on the door asking us to remove shoes, we had no problem complying with our hosts request, who doesn't want to keep their pride and joy clean. We have been spoilt in the past by staying at a friends B & B in Scotland where they ran a beautifully clean establishment- Tate house ranks at the same level.
Our room was light and airy, the on suite was excellent. We had a wonderful peaceful nights sleep, we stayed 3 nights and each day our room was cleaned and tidied, he even cleaned my laptop! And wouldn't take any money for using his wireless internet!
Breakfast was excellent and served by our host who chatted about all and sundry!
Doctorleeds makes comment about our host swearing in front of the guests? Well the only time I recall anything along those lines was when our host and I were having an amusing dig at a town my wife and I visited the day before - yes I did agree that it was a s**thole! However this was said in a very light hearted manner and in a 'geordie' accent so much so that I was giggling about it many hours later. I would have no hesitation revisiting Tate house and our charming host again and recommending it to our friends!
A fantastic location to use as a base to explore the area

1 Thank tommo715
Notts.
Reviewed May 12, 2009

A very enjoyable stay. The accommodation was exceptionally clean and well appointed and the the substantial breakfast was served by a very welcoming host "Leo" who was also a mine of useful information about the surrounding area. Unlike many B&B's off street parking was available!

Steve and Janice Taylor - Nottinghamshire