“Good food”

Ranked #36 of 67 Alnwick B&B and Inns
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Good food”
Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

My family and I had lunch in the bar. We all had roasts which were delicious. Best pub food I have had for a long time. The 2 negative points were that you don't get much gravy and I thought the customer service skills of the owner left a little to be desired. However as the food was amazing the negatives seem insignificant.

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Leeds
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Stayed the weekend with a friend as an oasis for a girlie catch up after Christmas shopping at Metro Centre

You couldnt have a more friendly welccme from the host who was also busy with the bar and restaurant when we arrived.
We had a lovely room with comfy beds (double and 2 singles) loads of cushions and pillows. Clean - and I'm a stickler for that so this is a big plus. loads of fluffy towles and general bathroom amentities.
Very glad we stayed in for our evening meal - the steak was the best ever - tender, full of flavour and portions to fill the hungriest guest. Some great fish options too with a wide variety on the specials board.
Fresh kippers for breakfast - part of a good selection on the Northumbrian (not English) breakfast choices.
In easy walking distance of the town centre and the Alnwick gardens / castle.

Will definitely visit again .!!

Room Tip: we had room 24 on the ground floor - spacious and comfortbale with 2 single and one very large doubk...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Northumberland National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Tipped up ( twice ) 5 minutes after their Special Carvery Menu had finished - The staff happily brought me a plate piled high with the meat of my choice.

They have a range of interesting desserts, too.

The staff appear to have been working there a long time- a good sign.

They have regular travelling stayers and a good atmosphere.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 28, 2012 via mobile

Telephoned the oaks hotel to make a reservation for the weekend. Didn't get as far as to book room as the woman who took my enquiry on reception had a terrible attitude. Very rude, shouted at me down the phone when I asked her to repeat the details as I had not heard the 1 st time. Totally shocked this woman is on front line in a hotel. Showed no people skills or understanding at all.

Stayed December 2011
1 Thank SammyHs
Berwick upon Tweed, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 26, 2012

This was the second visit to this restaurant and once again food delicious and very good value for the price we paid. Staff were very pleasant and helpful really went out of their way to help choose from menu. Thanks to all, we will be back!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 24, 2012

I was suggested this hotel by a business associate I was visiting. They did not recommend but did say that others had stayed here.

As is always the case with these non-purpose built hotels, the room you get will determine your experience. Please bear that in mind when you are reading this review.

I had Room #23. A very large room with a large bathroom. Unfortunately it being a large room and it being a cold November day, the room took an age to warm up. I left the room to go to a work commitment and returned at 12am. The room was very warm on my return but there was a loud noise coming from somewhere. I couldn't determine where it was coming from so called reception. No-one answered. I went out into the cold to go to reception but the main entrance was locked and looking through the glass door I could see that no-one was at the reception desk. I went back to my room and eventually found the noise stopped when I turned off the radiator. The choice I had was to be warm but with noise or be cold without the noise.

At 6.30am I was awoken by the person/people in the room directly above me. They were merely walking in their room but the floorboards creaked so much and the sound came straight into my room. Also their waste water pipe ran through my room behind some thin wooden boxing so every time they flushed their toilet or had a shower I could hear the water escaping. Very loud.

The bathroom was big but for some inexplicable reason the toilet was positioned right up against the radiator. I had to use the toilet sat at an angle.

The staff were averagely friendly.

The breakfast was good.

My overall opinion of this place is that it is not terrible but below average and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone and I would not stay here again. Maybe if I had a different room experience my feeling would be more positive but I don't think so. Given that there seems to be many alternatives I think I would try somewhere different next time.

Room Tip: If you do chose to book at this hotel do not stay in Room 23. My colleague stayed in Room 22 and had...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Idle_Idler
Nijmegen
Reviewed November 8, 2012

When we came to see Northumberland we stayed at this hotel.
Nice, warm atmosphere, fantastic food, helpful and friendly staff.
Great location from where to visit the many tourist spots in the area.
Highly recommend it! Hope to return next spring.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple