“Receptionist has a terrible attitude”
Review of The Oaks Hotel

The Oaks Hotel
Ranked #34 of 69 Alnwick B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 28, 2012 via mobile

Telephoned the oaks hotel to make a reservation for the weekend. Didn't get as far as to book room as the woman who took my enquiry on reception had a terrible attitude. Very rude, shouted at me down the phone when I asked her to repeat the details as I had not heard the 1 st time. Totally shocked this woman is on front line in a hotel. Showed no people skills or understanding at all.

Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank SammyHs
There are newer reviews for The Oaks Hotel

Reviewed November 26, 2012

This was the second visit to this restaurant and once again food delicious and very good value for the price we paid. Staff were very pleasant and helpful really went out of their way to help choose from menu. Thanks to all, we will be back!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 24, 2012

I was suggested this hotel by a business associate I was visiting. They did not recommend but did say that others had stayed here.

As is always the case with these non-purpose built hotels, the room you get will determine your experience. Please bear that in mind when you are reading this review.

I had Room #23. A very large room with a large bathroom. Unfortunately it being a large room and it being a cold November day, the room took an age to warm up. I left the room to go to a work commitment and returned at 12am. The room was very warm on my return but there was a loud noise coming from somewhere. I couldn't determine where it was coming from so called reception. No-one answered. I went out into the cold to go to reception but the main entrance was locked and looking through the glass door I could see that no-one was at the reception desk. I went back to my room and eventually found the noise stopped when I turned off the radiator. The choice I had was to be warm but with noise or be cold without the noise.

At 6.30am I was awoken by the person/people in the room directly above me. They were merely walking in their room but the floorboards creaked so much and the sound came straight into my room. Also their waste water pipe ran through my room behind some thin wooden boxing so every time they flushed their toilet or had a shower I could hear the water escaping. Very loud.

The bathroom was big but for some inexplicable reason the toilet was positioned right up against the radiator. I had to use the toilet sat at an angle.

The staff were averagely friendly.

The breakfast was good.

My overall opinion of this place is that it is not terrible but below average and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone and I would not stay here again. Maybe if I had a different room experience my feeling would be more positive but I don't think so. Given that there seems to be many alternatives I think I would try somewhere different next time.

Room Tip: If you do chose to book at this hotel do not stay in Room 23. My colleague stayed in Room 22 and had...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Idle_Idler
Reviewed November 8, 2012

When we came to see Northumberland we stayed at this hotel.
Nice, warm atmosphere, fantastic food, helpful and friendly staff.
Great location from where to visit the many tourist spots in the area.
Highly recommend it! Hope to return next spring.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Had an impromptu lunch out having been up early, not much brekkie & hard working til late afternoon, we were pretty starved.

Decided on Oaks as treat & couldn't face cooking so late in the day. Haven't been in ages but nice to see it still is as charming & the staff are very friendly and efficient.

Menu wise I was stuck deciding on whether to have Chicken or Lasagne. Partner having been recommended by friends who had dined before us opted for the Fish & chips. Which did look delicious even if I don't do fish. He wasn't disappointed and even had a side of Onion rings, which were nice & crunchy! I went for the Lasagne though this was quite stodgy & although the mince was tasty I really couldn't eat much of it. Shame as it was almost a tenners worth : /

Hilight though was the chips which they light, fluffy & crunchy. Just how chips should be & enjoyed the rest of the meal with a Glitter Berry J20! : )

Think I'll opt next time for the Chicken or try out the Cravery. Over all very good but the Lasagne needs to a tad bit lighter. Look forward to seeing what else is in store & recommend the friendly atmosphere ^_^

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We were just in Alnwick for one night and had some trouble finding a place as many want you to stay 2 nights minimum. No problem at the Oaks though, and we were very glad we chose here. The biggest plus is the friendliness of the owners and staff, who go out of their way to help, creating a welcoming atmosphere. The hotel is nicely laid out, the room was great with a four-poster bed and the breakfast excellent. Nice cosy pub to come back to for a nightcap. We had an event at the Treehouse, in the castle grounds, and this was an easy 10-15 minute walk away so perfect location. It would be 10 mins walk into town as well. Will definitely return next time in Alnwick.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I have an overnight stay at this hotel twice a year while on business and over the past 5 years or so they have been of a consistently high standard. The rooms are clean and comfortable, the food is first class but above all the staff are welcoming and friendly.

If you enjoy a cooked breakfast then you would be hard pushed to find a better place than The Oaks to start your day.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business