“To die for carvery!!”

Ranked #35 of 69 Alnwick B&B and Inns
Medicine Hat, Canada
“To die for carvery!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

Booked a table for my family and friends (11 people).Everything was ready, and we all had the
food from the carvery.Yorkshire puddings as big as footballs, superb beef and pork,really good
selection of veggies. The meal was just excellent, and the service brilliant.If you are ever in Alnwick, make a reservation for the carvery- you will not be dissapointed.

Room Tip: Good parking here.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sydney T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Leicester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

Stayed at the Oaks whilst attending a conference in town last week.
Comfortable rooms, lovely staff and fantastic food at a reasonable price. A popular location with local folk too (always a good sign).

Only a few minutes drive to the nearest beach, a shot walk from the castle and town centre.

Highly recommended.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Geostan
Edinburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

Stopped off hear on the road home having been recommended by the assistant at a local petrol station. It turned out to spot on. The food was excellent, very well presented and good value for money. The staff were very pleasant and accomodating towards our young family. We ate from the bar menu, which had a bit of everything. They also had a specials board and a buffet which looked excellent.
All in, very nice food and will certainly use again when passing Alnwick.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Officerdee
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

We booked this hotel only a week before after searching long for a reasonably priced accommodation for a family of 4. We were delighted with the ease of booking and value. We were aware the hotel was on a main road but this did not worry us. The room and bathroom were a little outdated but they were clean and comfortable. We didn't eat at the restaurant as the menu looked expensive in comparison to other places we had found in the town centre. One evening we came back for desserts and coffees about 9pm and were turned away as the restaurant had closed and staff had gone. We were slightly miffed. Breakfast was good. The first morning I ordered a poached egg and it was perfect. I wished I'd ordered 2. I did on the second day but they came over cooked, very disappointing. My children did have the breakfast on the first day swimming in the juices from the scrambled egg and my youngest got splashed when the breakfast was served. Luckily she wasn't hurt and the lady was very apologetic. Overall it was a pleasant stay and the location to the castle and town is ideal. However there are more modern places to stay for the same price or cheaper.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank AJMistry
Doncaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

The food here is fantastic, we sampled lunch, dinner and breakfast.

Lunch was gorgeous, eventhough we opted only for a sandwich, but my chicken, bacon and brie (with cranberry sauce - at my request) was beautifully presented on an open toasted white baguette with a side salad, sadly no dressing on the salad, but it was very fresh! My husbands steak and onion sandwich certainly hit the spot - he was quiet for about ten minutes! Dinner that night was fab - I can definitely recommend the chicken liver parfait and the scallops in thermidor sauce topped with crispy pancetta Mmmmm ... gorgeous! My husbands half shoulder of lamb would certainly have been big enough for two and the meat just fell from the bone. My Sole with crab filling and a prawn and parsley sauce was cooked to perfection and served with a variety of vegetables (still not sure that cabbage goes with fish though). Breakfast was very nice, although I would have liked my fried egg to have been freshly cooked! The family room we were allocated was very large, very clean and well furnished. Everything worked, there was plenty of hot water. The only thing I could fault was that our room was on the main road and the traffic built up quite early, but nothing that a pair of earplugs wouldn't have cured if I'd remembered to pack them! Staff are friendly and efficient and the whole experience was most enjoyable. Would very much recommend this small hotel to anyone.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sharon187067
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

Having arrived in Alnwick during a touring holiday, without a room booking, we rocked up to this little hotel and were immediately offered a lovely big comfortable room at a reasonable price. We chose to eat in the hotel and made the right choice as the food was excellent. Staff attention was also very good and everyone was friendly and helpful - posting on a jacket which I had left on the premises. Super setting as it is a short walk into Alnwick proper and a pleasant stroll away from Alnwick Castle and Gardens. This is definitely on out list to revisit sooner rather than later.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ebontour
Dalkeith, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

I have stayed here twice a week for the last 6 months since January, as I have been working in the area. Overall I have been very pleased with this hotel. Ideally located for my purposes, although not in the middle of town, this can be reached by a 5 minute walk or 1 min drive.

Carpark to the rear, small beer garde for those summer afternoons/evenings (rare this year i know) and good quality spacious rooms with large beds and up to date widescreen TVs.

I ate her most nights I stayed and as I was on my own just chose to sit in the bar instead of the restaurant. great qaulity, reasonably priced food with good friendly service. The restaurant always seemed to be quite busy, even on week nights and that says it all.........

WiFi is also free and a signal can be had in most of the rooms.

Overall a friendly local hotel, bar and restaurant.

Room Tip: My favourit rooms were 23, 24, 25 and 26. Nice big beds and spacious.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business