“Well worth a visit and make sure you have at least 3 hours”
Review of Alnwick Castle

Alnwick Castle
Ranked #6 of 29 things to do in Alnwick
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Alnwick Castle is one of the largest inhabited castles in England. Home to the Duke of Northumberland's family, the Percys, for over 700 years, it has witnessed drama, intrigue, tragedy and romance. From stunning art collections and sumptuous State Rooms to medieval crafts and Potter-inspired magic, a visit to Alnwick Castle fires the imagination.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Reviewed July 14, 2013

The castle open at 10am , however the state rooms do not open until 11am, this was anot an issue as there is plenty tom se and do prior to taking up residence in the fantastic state rooms. Make sure you treat yourself to the lost cellars production and book it immediately you enter the grounds to avoid being delayed. Plenty of activities for kids and adults alike with some very knowledable guides to compliment your visit don't miss the porcilin table decorations which are very clever.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,601)
All reviews
in 51 reviews
"fish and chips"
in 68 reviews

Reviewed July 14, 2013

My first visit and enjoyed the spectacle as it was Armed Forces Day and this added to the atmosphere. I am not a buildings man but enjoyed the tour and the history. Our guide was brilliant, but a student and may not be permanent. The gardens which I'd heard much about were equally impressive. A good day out

Reviewed July 14, 2013

My only problem was that I couldnt get into the Norhtumberland Fusiliers museum after teh family wedding; I have a family link so might need to re-arrange a specific vist.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

The Castle is brilliant filled with history which I found interesting and I really enjoyed seeing it all, however it doesn't take a full day to get round.
I enjoyed looking around the areas that the Duke still lives in and especially the library.
If you get the opportunity to try the dungeon tour don't expect anything like the london dungeon but it is a good laugh.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 13, 2013

The place seems to rest on it's connection with Harry Potter too much for me and whilst the State Rooms are very nice and it is still inhabited in the winter months by the owner the place did not give me the same buzz that other castles and houses do. I had read that people found it difficult to see the locations where HP was filmed here and I agree. I could only find one location. Maybe that is all there is ? The castle is well preserved that much I will say but just did not do it for me. We were done and gone within 2 hrs.