“recent hog's head stay”

and 1 more site!
The Hog's Head Inn
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Alnwick
Reviewed June 26, 2014

Really lovely hotel with spacious rooms. Rooms are comfortable and very clean. Staff very friendly and helpful.
However, avoid the restaurant as the food was terrible. The menu sounds grand but the food does NOT live up to it. If you are going to stay here book bed and breakfast only as breakfast was ok. Eat out in town as good restaurants there.
Would definitely stay there again but for bed and breakfast only.The hotel itself I would give 5 stars but no stars for the food.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
PRO76, Public Relations Manager at The Hog's Head Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2014

Thanks for the five stars for our accommodation. We do hope you give our food another try - we do get great reviews and have some amazing dishes and local specials too.

Reviewed June 26, 2014

Just spent 3 nights at the Hogs Head Inn. Was a little worried when I saw the A1 close by but I can honestly say that I didn't hear a thing. The rooms were extremely quiet not to mention really large and clean. Our family room fit our family of four with a lot of room to spare. The beds were also extremely comfortable.
It is very convenient to Alnwick if you are planning to visit this beautiful little village with the Alnwick Gardens and Castle being less than 5 minutes drive away.
One thing I have to mention is how lovely all the staff were. They work really hard and nothing was too much of an inconvenience. We have stayed in many hotels throughout our travels and the staff at the Hogs Head Inn were second to none!

Room Tip: We were in Room 20 (family room) which was really good!
Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
PRO76, Front Office Manager at The Hog's Head Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2014

What a lovely review - thank you so much - I will pass on your comments to our staff who certainly are hard working and do their best to make sure guests enjoy a great time with us.

Reviewed June 25, 2014

Just spent 3 days at the Hogs head inn. It is a lovely place to stay. Very clean,,the rooms very comfortable. The staff were excellent,all of them including housekeeping. The food was excellent (so not quite sure why last review was bad) My husband is the biggest complainer about food but even he was impressed,not one meal any of the 6 of us was microwaved and was well presented, and the food was good quality and tasted very good. The breakfast had plenty of choice and everything was piping hot and not greasy at all. Would certainly stay there again

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

That is great to hear - thank you so much for leaving the review - we hope you return to stay again soon! Thanks for the five stars as well!

Reviewed June 20, 2014

There was a party of 20 of us staying for 4 nights eating there every night as we had no time to go elsewhere, it was some of the worst food I have ever had, everyones food was appalling, the breakfast is OK but do yourself a favour and eat elsewhere in the evenings.

Greasy, microwaved, poor quality meat etc etc, vegetables that smell of feet!I don't understand how anyone here has said the food is OK? Maybe there has been a change of chef or something?

I visit lots of countries and when foreigners say the food in the uk is bad its because they must eat in places like this, come on its 2014 sort yourselves out the food is a disgrace.

Its a shame as the hotel itself is nice enough just the food that lets it down.

I'd rate the hotel itself without the food as very good if I could rate separately from the food which I would rate as terrible, so giving it an average overall which is probably a bit generous as eating good food is a real pleasure.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Luke A

We were so sorry to read your review but we would like to say that we did have some issues around the time you stayed with a new kitchen staff member who is no longer with us. We really do hope that you will return and stay with us again and enjoy the food we are proud to serve to our guests.

Reviewed June 19, 2014

Stayed here overnight on Friday 13th - definitely not unlucky for us :-)
Room was spacious, lovely and clean, with a very comfy bed.
We enjoyed our evening meal served by the cheery hard working staff. The buffet breakfast was filling after a great nights sleep.
If I could mention one thing it would be that the inside one of the glasses in our bathroom was still all toothpaste from previous occupants, but we just didn't use that one.
Overall a great place to stay, would return and no qualms about recommending it.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Karen J

Thank you very much for your review and the five stars as well. We have alerted our housekeeping team about the glass. They are usually extremely rigorous in their cleaning and we apologise that we fell short of our high standards on this occasion. Do come back again soon.

Reviewed June 9, 2014

First impression count so they say and pulling up outside this is a nice clean building in a ideal position for the A1 dual carriageway. Once inside I was impressed with the layout of the pub and the decoration with all the wood that's used in it's construction.
We chose a table near the bar and what impressed me was the amount of space this is a large eating and drinking area and I think if it was busy you would still find somewhere to sit. We chose our meals and only had to wait about ten minutes before it arrived so good service there and I found the staff to be friendly. I enjoyed my meal but my wife did not find it any better than usual pub food but for a change I found it very nice. I did notice that they open the doors for breakfast with the pub also being a hotel so I might take a trip down one weekend and save on the dishes at home.
I cannot comment on the bedrooms but I did go to the toilet which are in the hotel corridor down stairs and the deco seemed very nice plus the toilets were very clean.
I'm going to have to make that trip for breakfast to try the Hogs Head out again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michael B
PRO76, Public Relations Manager at The Hog's Head Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2014

Thank you so much for your review - and the five stars. We definitely think you should save on the dishes and come for breakfast! We'd be more than happy to show you one of our rooms too. Just give us a shout! Hope to welcome you back soon :)

Reviewed June 3, 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights over the weekend, a party of 3 golfers.
The rooms were nice, clean & comfortable
Breakfast was just OK as it's all pre-cooked & serve yourself buffet style.
We didn't eat here so can't comment on the evening food

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

Thanks for the review - hope you return again. One point to make - our Northumbrian cooked breakfasts are complimentary - tuck in!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Alnwick
The White Swan Hotel
Warkworth House Hotel
Warkworth House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Warkworth
Macdonald Linden Hall Golf & Country Club

Been to The Hog's Head Inn? Share your experiences!