“Excellent”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Alnwick
Selby, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I have stayed in Alnwick before in a different hotel which had resulted in my stay being a nightmare

I had driven past the Hogs Head hotel on several ocasions, whilst it was being built and afterwards and had comented that it looked very nice
On the website the pictures looked good and I was not disapointed when I arrived...
There was a warm and smiling welcome, a quick run through facilities etc and I was given my card key
On entering the hall way to the rooms, it was clean, beautifully decorated, with clear signs.
The rooms were spacious, well equiped, very clean and comfortable.

Although there was no telephone to reception, I felt that I could easily contact them as it was only a short walk down the hall
As a single lady traveling I felt that I was safe and at ease.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thorb1976, Public Relations Manager at The Hog's Head Inn, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thank you for an excellent review - and for your five stars. We hope you will return soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Called to try out for meal on way back from a couple of days on Northumberland Coast. Had seen it reviewed in Newcastle Journal and thought would see what it was like as relatively new. When arrived others were finishing meals/coffee etc., so we were only ones to serve. Had expected hotel restaurant service, but found it was the sort of family diner where you have to have your table number and order and pay in advance at bar.
Ordered main meal and drinks. I had a soft drink as driving & wife wanted decaf coffee with milk which seemed to initially be a problem 'as it is it of a machine'. Agreed to bring as requested after some thought. Could see from our table the waitress preparing (by machine) coffee & milk jug, then she moved away for about 10/15 mins until she obviously remembered & got another waitress to get another one out of the machine and deliver to table!
When main meals eventually came (cooked freshly to order please be patient) I had ordered chicken dianne with chips (instead of new potatoes) and vegetables. No chips but potatoes! 'Sorry will get in a couple of minutes'. Chips came in that time, but grossy overcooked and obviously not freshly done, but kept hot for some time. Chicken had obviously been cooked hours/days ago and warmed and had sauce poured over. Vegetables were undercooked and hard (would not describe as al dente). No-one ever asked us how our meal was, even though we were only people in there by then. Didn't leave a tip! Overall a depressing experience and will not try again. Would use the Cook & Barker down the road at Newton-on-the-Moor again in future - much better.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank R0gerCar0l
Oh what a shame - all we can do is hold our hands up and say we're sorry., We are a pub and offer pub food, which we've had good reviews for. Please come and give us another try?
Lancashire
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Having spotted the Hog's Head on a drive down from Scotland earlier in the year, I thought it looked worth trying, as the building is very nice and easily accessed from the A1.
The chance arose in October and we found the inn well appointed, nicely decorated and the room, was as requested, a quiet one.
Breakfast was a buffet style but with additional things to order if required .the do it yourself toaster seems painfully slow. the hotel was fairly quiet, given we were there in the school holidays, I would say they need more custom. Priced at not much more than a B & B they should be more full, but obviously need to build a reputation.
location is close enough for a short drive into town, it is not a walk I would try at night, in the dark.
the only things we lacked were a hairdryer and abilty to use the safe. someone had left it closed..also no 'in room' information other than fire escape route. no phone to reception. these things did not spoil our stay and we both felt we could recommend the place to friends. can't comment on the restaurant as we ate in town.
on the whole I think since it is new there is a certain feeling of newness, both the premises and the staff. things need tweaking and 'bedding in'.

Room Tip: if you are a light sleeper, maybe avoid rooms on the A1 side.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank ChrisB8
Thanks for the review. Given that you stayed outside school holidays in November - a quiet time in Northumberland for even those most established businesses, it is unsurprising we weren't heaving when you chose to stay! We're not a hotel, so as such don;t have a phone in reception or in rooms, but of course if you were stuck in an emergency, please ask a member of staff if you need to make an emergency phone call. We're proud of our reputation and hope you return to enjoy it!
Newton Aycliffe, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Stayed at this establishment while visiting my brother.The hotel is set right next to the A1 so it is not a problem to find and altho on the outskirts of Alnwick a taxi for 6 was a resonable £4.Theres ample free parking and the hotel /pub is brand new and finished to a very high standard and at £80 for a dbl rm (masses of space) with breakfast was great value for money and on a par with other accomodation in Alnwick and the staff and reception very helpful with that northern everyones a friend attitude.We had an evening meal but altho the chips were handmade the meal it self was a bit dissapointing! yet the breakfast was very good.
Would i go back ? definitiely mut would skip having a meal

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the review! Hope you come back and stay again and enjoy a good meal - we get lots of ace food reviews!
UK
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Staying in the area for the first time and only a 1/4 of a mile from the 'Hogs Head' it was the perfect venue for us to get a drink and meal after a day out exploring. Newly built with an olde worlde vibe it is a straight forward eating house. I can only comment on the bar/food service but a local B+B owner told me the rooms were good sized and well equipped ? Prices are on the high side for drinks and food is not 'bargain' prices but we noticed most places in the area were more expensive than we are used to in the Midlands so that may be the norm? The staff were excellent and most helpful. We reserved a table for two on a busy Saturday night and it had a reserved sign on it when we arrived as promised. We ordered the Stilton burger with chips and coleslaw (at around £9.00) and were very pleased with the presentation and individual pot of relish. For a no hassle place to eat, with good free parking and just out of town I would be happy to recommend it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thorb1976, Guest Relations Manager at The Hog's Head Inn, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thank you for the review and recommendation!
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I came over from the Continent recently, and was entertained by Alnwick friends by eating out at the Hog's Head.

It looks a wonderful place, and the staff were very good, but when the vegetables arrived - beans, carrots, and broccoli, the beans and carrots were not cut-able. We complained to one of the staff, who eventally brought us some more, but they were still inedible.
What's more, all the neighbouring tables sent their vegetables back un-eaten, so it wasn't us being fussy!!!!

I don't think the cook ever saw the vegetables being returned, or, he might be a canny lad, and think there is something wrong!!!

It might be healthy to have salads, but on a cold Northumbrian evening, I like my vegetables to be well cooked!!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank 785WilB785
Oh dear - we're sorry. Come back again and try some perfectly cooked vegetables. You must have caught us on a very unusual vegetable day. That said, there is nothing worse than soggy veg...
Oxford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I needed somewhere to stay for a week in Alnwick and someone said I should look at the Hog's Head Inn. It's a new build (opened Nov '11) and there is a great sense of space. Loads of parking space so good for parties, large, comfortable bedrooms and a large lounge/bar/dining space. From the breakfast buffet on there is food available all day until 9.00pm. I would describe the food as hearty. There is a friendly atmosphere and it was clear that children were catered for and were made welcome. I need somewhere I could pop in and out of as a base and the Hog's Head did the job. I loved the Ringtons tea and coffee in the bar and bedrooms which set the tone. Ringtons is tea royalty in Northumberland ! Being new everything works including the bedroom TVs which got all the channels I have at home - something that often disappoints in b&bs. The ease of parking compared to staying in the dead centre of Alnwick more than compensated for the five min drive. I found it without trouble, just take the turning for Shilbottle and there is the hotel behind and parallel to a big petrol station. I would recommend the Hog's Head to anyone, whether on business or pleasure.

Room Tip: I was given the choice of ground or first floor (there is a lift). I chose ground for convenience an...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Would you believe we just opened in August 2012!!! So pleased your stay was comfortable and we hope you return again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alnwick
The White Swan Hotel
#1 of 1 in Warkworth
Newton Hall
Newton Hall
#1 of 1 in Newton by the Sea

Been to The Hog's Head Inn? Share your experiences!